Promotion Playoff (Two leagues playoff, one team promoted) AND Championship League with playoff cup qualifying for continental competition.

Oggimon

Okay, hopefully the super long title gets people's attention.

I have now been working on the same problem for about a month, on and off, and am not getting anywhere. I seem to have a game with the potential to be great but I havent even begun to play it yet. Just feeling frustrated and like this is more of a job than fun. Bah. Anyway, to the task at hand.I am wanting to recreate (mostly like RL) the NZ league system. I have done a bit of work getting the leagues set up and have created the basic leagues populated with teams (the lower you go, the more B teams in place). This is like in RL (just we call them Reserves, but whatevs, tomayto tomato).

I am weary that a lot of the work needs to be set up in the Basic rules before going onto the Advanced rules. I am using another person's 2021/2022 version as a guide for everything but I am having 0 luck.

1) There are several leagues that act as subdivision of a main 'fake' division. Eg, NRF Championship and WaiBOP Premiership are both part of the NZ Regional Third Divisions (as the parent competition). Now, I am wanting to create a playoff between the winner of each of these leagues which leads to a promotion spot to the next division (NRFL Div2, NZ Regional Second Divisions parent league). I followed all the specifications and changes made by the person whose database I am using but I have an error come up. This is the error (the Fourth Divisions is completely fake and does not follow RL but I wanted to add all of the lower divisions teams):

image.png.69e1638423cece303aeba9916be5c95b.png

Now, I have absolutely no idea why the error is coming up or how to fix it? Where do I go?

2) *** The most important question is replicating the RL National League. Some background. In NZ there are three regional top leagues (North, Central, South). the top 3 teams from each region is promoted to a special 'finals' league (alongside the only permanent team being the Wellington Phoenix Reserves). Here the teams play each other and the top two play a playoff against each other to determine the NZ champion (overall). The same two teams qualify for the continental competition (being the OFC Champions League) (as the finals league is the best of the best in NZ so it is the highest competition).

Again, I am using this person's database for the hints on how to do it, but without having luck with the above playoffs, you can possibly guess that I have not had luck here either. I am not sure what I am doing wrong.

So, can I ask for the following help

a) Hints

b) Hints from a 2023 version which has the above work I can use to see how to mimic and do for my own.

c) Can someone look at my file and see if they can make sense of where the issue.

d) ANY help

Thanks everyone, much appreciated!

Well definetly in the league qualifications settings there is something wrong. For the special final you would need to set either an alternate league fate or a league fate. Not familiar with NZ so don t know If the special final is played on the season after these Comp or the year after (it changes the management)

Creating a playoff to determine the Champion of the parent competition should be easy too, also in the league settings and adding fate. Not sure what is the error without seeing. 

Probably easier If you upload Your file. 

Here is the file so far.

The finals competition is played at the END of the normal leagues, but WITHIN the season itself. It is like a championship round, or like a league structure finals instead of the knockout cup in Australia.

Do you have any suggestions on how to make the two league playoff for promotion game viable?

Cheers

New Zealand National to Tier6 v8.fmf

1 hour ago, Oggimon said:

Here is the file so far.

The finals competition is played at the END of the normal leagues, but WITHIN the season itself. It is like a championship round, or like a league structure finals instead of the knockout cup in Australia.

Do you have any suggestions on how to make the two league playoff for promotion game viable?

Cheers

New Zealand National to Tier6 v8.fmf 26.78 kB · 0 downloads

I mean nothing is really set up..as I said it is in the qualification rules which are not set even basic.. there are no relegations even from top division...it's a lot more complicated than what i thought because i have no idea about the relegation system that needs to be put in place from every single league from top.  Is it on purpose or did you not know? I am happy to fix it but need to know exactly relegations/promotions for every single division.

A playoff would be pointless because first you need to create everything that comes first

Edited by rmpMarko

6 hours ago, rmpMarko said:

I mean nothing is really set up..as I said it is in the qualification rules which are not set even basic.. there are no relegations even from top division...it's a lot more complicated than what i thought because i have no idea about the relegation system that needs to be put in place from every single league from top.  Is it on purpose or did you not know? I am happy to fix it but need to know exactly relegations/promotions for every single division.

A playoff would be pointless because first you need to create everything that comes first

Sorry, I really should have explained more.

Because the whole country is split into regional leagues (due to distance in RL), getting these correct is a pain in the butt.

I will give you one path I am trying to sort out first and maybe we can begin with advice there:

I will start from the bottom mving up the leagues.

New Zealand NFF 1 and AFF1 are Regional Fourth Divs. They playoff for a single spot into the NRF Men's 1. A team from NRF Men's 1 should technically have 1 relegation spot down. Then we have NRF Men's 1 and Northland in one pool for Regional Third Divs and WaiBOP Champs in the other pool. Like in the previous Fourth Divs, NRF Men's 1 and Northland playoff for one spot to NRF Championship and WaiBOP Champs go directly up to WaiBOP Premiership. Then in Regional Second divisions, you have NRF Championship playing off against WaiBOP Premiership for a spot into Lotto NRFL 2. From NRFL 2 it is directly up to NRFL 1 and from NRFL 1 directly up to Northern League.

I will make an image so that it is easier to follow.

image.png.d14a6165419c5dcad4128c00b8705571.png

While this doesn't follow RL completely, it is just my attempt to not do as much work to get it looking as real as possible.

So, does all this work need to be first done in the Basic rules? then adding Advance Rules for playoffs?

Any hints are more than appreciated. I dont mind doing the work as long as I know what I am doing.

Manyyyyyy thanks!! :-) 

15 minutes ago, Oggimon said:

Sorry, I really should have explained more.

Because the whole country is split into regional leagues (due to distance in RL), getting these correct is a pain in the butt.

I will give you one path I am trying to sort out first and maybe we can begin with advice there:

I will start from the bottom mving up the leagues.

New Zealand NFF 1 and AFF1 are Regional Fourth Divs. They playoff for a single spot into the NRF Men's 1. A team from NRF Men's 1 should technically have 1 relegation spot down. Then we have NRF Men's 1 and Northland in one pool for Regional Third Divs and WaiBOP Champs in the other pool. Like in the previous Fourth Divs, NRF Men's 1 and Northland playoff for one spot to NRF Championship and WaiBOP Champs go directly up to WaiBOP Premiership. Then in Regional Second divisions, you have NRF Championship playing off against WaiBOP Premiership for a spot into Lotto NRFL 2. From NRFL 2 it is directly up to NRFL 1 and from NRFL 1 directly up to Northern League.

I will make an image so that it is easier to follow.

image.png.d14a6165419c5dcad4128c00b8705571.png

While this doesn't follow RL completely, it is just my attempt to not do as much work to get it looking as real as possible.

So, does all this work need to be first done in the Basic rules? then adding Advance Rules for playoffs?

Any hints are more than appreciated. I dont mind doing the work as long as I know what I am doing.

Manyyyyyy thanks!! :-) 

That s Great! Well some of it maybe can be done in Basic. But u are already on Advanced so worthy continuing there.. It is quite complicated but i can have a look when i have some time. This year I have unlocked around 20 asian nations with real rules so i have a good training.. Hopefully it Will be useful for this! It s difficult to give u hints as the whole promotion relegation system needs to be done and alongside with it, playoffs set up. 

11 minutes ago, rmpMarko said:

That s Great! Well some of it maybe can be done in Basic. But u are already on Advanced so worthy continuing there.. It is quite complicated but i can have a look when i have some time. This year I have unlocked around 20 asian nations with real rules so i have a good training.. Hopefully it Will be useful for this! It s difficult to give u hints as the whole promotion relegation system needs to be done and alongside with it, playoffs set up. 

Oh awesome thank you!!

I will make the entire league in terms of how it looks and how it is structured (in an image so that you can see what is happening as an overall picture). (Will do this later tonight)

You said you made 20 Asian leagues? Do you by chance have Japan and Iran? I am wanting to include those two in my main save but have been stuck on NZ now for a month!

1 hour ago, Oggimon said:

Oh awesome thank you!!

I will make the entire league in terms of how it looks and how it is structured (in an image so that you can see what is happening as an overall picture). (Will do this later tonight)

You said you made 20 Asian leagues? Do you by chance have Japan and Iran? I am wanting to include those two in my main save but have been stuck on NZ now for a month!

For Iran see below I have attached the file. For japan I never do, have a look on this: 

iran.fmf

• 4 months later...

Hi, I am having kind of the same issue but in England and I'm wondering if you can help @rmpMarko 

i want to do a league playoff between 9 teams from tier 6 and 9 from tier 7 - 12 are relegated automatically from tier 6 and 12 automatically promoted from tier 7 its just the 9 from tier 6 and 9 from tier 7 play a playoff and the winner gets to play in tier 6, whereas the loser goes in tier 7 

there are 3 divisions in tier 6 and 6 in tier 7

I tried a cup but that wouldn't work, so tried a league and getting the same issue - its saying 21 is relegated and 12 are promoted - 

I kind of changed it to 7 going down from each of the tier 6 leagues and while it helps some leagues verify - some leagues are saying all different error messages - im going to verify and gets pics and put them up

can you help please

Edited by GrahamS