Decide my next step..

vJords

The aim of this thread is to get an opinion on my next move...

*The ages presented here are CURRENT in-game ages.

*Willing to share stats of players, tactics, etc.

Vitoria Guimaraes 2023/2024 - Portugal [RESIGNED]
Started unemployed and was given the opportunity to manage a team that was suffering in the league. Saved them from relegation and played the unfaithful game of leaving as soon as the first offer came in to manage another team. The team has managed to keep a hold of my signings and remained mid table. We never came close to winning anything but were successful to say the least based on the quality we had and the money available to spend

Crystal Palace 2024/2024 - England [RESIGNED]
Now you can tell by the duration of the stay how close I was to being fired. No matter the players I signed we just couldn’t get going and trust me, i signed decent, if not great players:

• Marcos Antonio
  • Oussama Idrissi
  • James Garner
  • Anthony Martial
  • Etienne Green
  • Dominik Szoboszlai
  • Miguel Guiterrez
  • Hamza Choudhury
  • Ethan Laird.

Baring in mind my license was still extremely low, with the players we had in the starting like up I should have done better. I received a points objective and immediately resigned as soon as I saw that it was impossible to do (We had Liverpool, United, Brentford, Wolves and Fulham as our next 5 matches). I jumped ship until I received an offer from my next club that ive grown to like thanks to Football Manager.

Montpellier 2024/2029 - France [PRESENT]

I took a whole new approach to management when I joined struggling Montpellier. I joined them after only spending 213 days at Crystal Palace and decided this was going to be one of my longer managerial roles in this save file. I joined the Professional club with the objective of making it one of the best in the league and maybe the world. I built the team with real academy prospects;

• Elye Wahi (Currently 26 years old)

Signed for Manchester United (€41,000,000) and has struggled for game time, now looking to leave as a fringe player.

• Maxime Esteve (Currently 27 years old)

Signed for Chelsea (€28,000,000) and has also struggled for game time, looking to leave as a fringe player. Should I re-sign?

As well as academy prospects generated through the in-game club and South American stars. If anyone would like to see the players and their stats I am more than willing (I'm PROUD of them) to share. But anyways, It's now season 2029/2030 and I've finally won my first ever trophies with any club in this save. The team I built is majority under the age of 22 with only 2/11 players in the starting line up above that age. We recently won the Ligue 1 title by 4 points, beat Real Madrid in the European Conference League finals 0-1 thanks to my Brazilian new gen star as well as the Coupe De France 2-1 vs Stade de Reims after overcoming the pressure of Paris Saint Germain in the semi finals on penalties (my new gen goalkeeper is AMAZING.) Did I also mention I am now the France NT Head Coach thanks to the opportunity Montpellier gave me?

WHAT TO DO?

But, having failed to continuously bring success to my career is it time to leave Montpellier and sign for the usual champions PSG? After failing to win any trophy in the season 2028/2029 they fired Paulo and have come knocking at my door with a whopping transfer budget of €230,000,000 to spend, Vinicius J., K. Mbappe, Hakimi, Mendes, and a few youth prospects I have had my eyes on.. Did I mention they've already offered €90,000,000 for my Brazilian striker (OF COURSE I PISSED HIM OFF AND REJECTED, HE LITERALLY BROKE THE CLUB RECORDS IN TWO SEASONS). Is it right to put trophies over what I've built knowing that the bigger clubs will come knocking for my stars? Or do I continue to build a legacy here at Montpellier? Or move to a whole new league in order to respect the club and the players I hold dearest to my heart?

Edited by vJords

Go to PSG 

Edit: To add, you have given Montpellier a good/fair amount of time, you have done well for them and don't owe them any special loyalty, taking step up in same country makes complete sense in your progression.

Edited by Maw74

I don't see any reason to turn down PSG, personally.  You've done great at Montpellier, but it doesn't look like there is any special bond that would see you turn down a "bigger" club to stay with them - e.g. it's not like you started the save with them, or anything to indicate you're a fan, nor does there seem to be a rivalry that suggests such a move would be a non-starter.  Narratively, I think it makes sense that a manager establishes himself as a good manager, and then gets the opportunity to try his hand at a better club.

And maybe you don't enjoy it.  That's fine.  Resign after a couple of seasons, make use of the (hopeful) bump to your reputation, and find a job in another league.

I have decided to leave for Paris Saint Germain as it does pose as an opportunity to boost my reputation as a manager. Here are a few of the gems I discovered while at Montpellier.

The Brazilian Cristiano Ronaldo

Spoiler

1687768219_MarceloAugusto1.jpg.8bcd6dadc0e648588debb1520a06fe01.jpg

Marcelo Augusto, a player who was signed from the Palmeiras academy in Brazil for €16m. He has risen to fame within two years at the club and is established as a Montpellier Herault SC icon. A true footballing gem scoring a total of 54 league goals in 60 league appearances for Montpellier and has 1 cap/1 goal in his international career with Brazil having breaking through recently.  He has earned recognition through football by winning:

• The European Golden Boy (Montpellier)
  • Kopa Trophy (Montpellier)
  • adidas European Golden Shoe (Montpellier)
  • Team of the Year (1)

He has also broken the club record of 54 goals scored in a season, a record he held in his first year at 41 goals the year before and has been voted Supporters Player of the Year. He is just 21 years old.

Oliver Kahn, but Portuguese

Spoiler

1353972125_CarlosBethencourt.jpg.3359a694da727faa8fb6c86e9046d577.jpg

Carlos Bethencourt, signed from Auxerre for €14m originally from the Pacos de Ferreira Academy in Portugal. Carlos has not received the recognition he deserves as a mainstay of the Montpellier team; his abilities have kept the team in the good hands and has built the confidence of each and every member. He is now a main part of the Portugal National team at just 21 years old.  He has broken the club record of shutouts in his first season, accumulating 24.

The French Wonderkid

Spoiler

969357745_AugustinDachary.jpg.6713dcea4d1f25459531f9f76f5062b9.jpg

Augustin Dachary, signed from OG Nice for €11m. The 19 year old has performed time and time again at such a young age. He placed third in the 2028/29 NXGN Awards and 4 caps/1 goal/8 assists with the France National Team. He has the potential to be even better than he already is. He has also won the best young player in Ligue 1 (1).

Youth To Starter

Spoiler

1060264008_JacquesMasson.jpg.7e23e4ea67e77c6558efd960ae98f29c.jpg

Jacques Masson, a well-known name for Montpellier FC as Masson made his way through the youth team to replace outgoing Jordan Ferri (Is now a coach at the club). He made the position his and though his best ability is "determined" to be a Ball-Winning Midfielder, he rose time and time again playing as an Advanced playmaker.

He has a personal accolade being awarded a spot in the Team of the Year. I hope he finishes his career with the club.

Do Real Madrid need a DM?

Spoiler

1322466573_Jean-PierreVallet.jpg.4a18ee15f4e02d77fabc61462ee65255.jpg

Jean-Pierre Vallet, another Montpellier F.C academy stars. He joined the starting line up alongside his friend Jacques Masson and has performed time and time again. Without him in the defensive midfield position the team looked shakey all over.

He broke the record for youngest player to score in a Montpellier match at age 17. Placed third in the 2027/28 NXGN Awards and continues to rise to fame. 

Honorable Mentions:

Spoiler
  • Leo Husser (Striker) - The European Conference League King, scoring a total of 15 goals at just 18 years old throughout the tournament. Youth Academy Player. [Currently 19 Years old]
  • Yann Berger (Midfielder) - Given much more game time, he will replace whoever is in that Montpellier team. Youth Academy Player. [Currently 19 Years old]
  • Yacine Levavasseur (Midfielder) - Given much more game time, he will replace whoever is in that Montpellier team. Youth Academy Player. [Currently 19 Years old]
  • Julio Cezar (Midfielder) - The winger that changed everything when we were struggling. He joined a while before Marcelo Augusto and made the team his. His workrate was second to none even against incredible oppositions. This player could find anyone on the field with his 17 Vision and 15 Passing. Signed from Santos [Currently 22 Years old]
  • Dragan Duricic (Defender) - Best left-back regen I have ever had. He has the vision of a playmaker playing as a defender. He could spot anyone out. [Currently 22 Years old]
  • Justino Marques (Defender) - Planned to replace Raphael Varane with Marques full time as he performed exceptionally when called upon, on occassions he was the best player on the field. [Currently 21 Years old]

I am going to continue to follow the above players for the duration of their career hoping they turn out to be what I expect them to be. All these players were wanted by other clubs, bigger clubs at that but I had the opportunity to renew them.

Edited by vJords