Question about Technical Director

I always hire and fire all of my own staff, and I imagine I can make better decisions about training courses myself as well, so I don't see the need for a technical director.

That being said, I'm consistently frustrated by how few staff options appear when I search for new hires - I basically only see the mediocre staff in my own nation, and I know I'm missing out on some good potential hires outside.

So my question is - does having a technical director increase the staff visible to you like adding a scout with scouting knowledge increases the players that are visible to you? If so, I might hire one for that reason alone.

13 hours ago, Weston said:

I always hire and fire all of my own staff, and I imagine I can make better decisions about training courses myself as well, so I don't see the need for a technical director.

That being said, I'm consistently frustrated by how few staff options appear when I search for new hires - I basically only see the mediocre staff in my own nation, and I know I'm missing out on some good potential hires outside.

So my question is - does having a technical director increase the staff visible to you like adding a scout with scouting knowledge increases the players that are visible to you? If so, I might hire one for that reason alone.

The technical director for me is just the most pointless feature in the game they doing absolutely nothing.

13 minutes ago, JamieTC13 said:

The technical director for me is just the most pointless feature in the game they doing absolutely nothing.

But if they made more staff visible when you were searching for more staff to hire you wouldn't necessarily be aware of it. Can someone confirm if they do this or not, and if so, to what extent?

1 minute ago, fc.cadoni said:

When I have the spot for Technical Director, I am always hire someone; and let him handle the contract renewals for youth staff, senior medical dept. and scouters. You are offload workload from other staff member (eg. DoF).

Yes, I understand that part, and I'm fine doing that part myself. I'm trying to figure out if there is another use that is not clear.

Surely someone knows...

The staff only do what you let them do. If you do all your own scouting,contracts,youth players transfers of all players then there is little point of a few staff other than they offer you advice about new staff. The coach's are needed for training but the recruitment staff are pointless other than the scouts imo and the analysts.

What difference do stats make on what they hire? Whoever is in just appoints anyone, to fill the gaps, and do they improve any role?

I only use them at big clubs as I can't bothered to search all the roles.

Edited by Garethjohn79

2 hours ago, Andy1979 said:

The staff only do what you let them do. If you do all your own scouting,contracts,youth players transfers of all players then there is little point of a few staff other than they offer you advice about new staff. The coach's are needed for training but the recruitment staff are pointless other than the scouts imo and the analysts.

1 hour ago, Garethjohn79 said:

What difference do stats make on what they hire? Whoever is in just appoints anyone, to fill the gaps, and do they improve any role?

But this still doesn't answer if the technical director makes more staff visible in the staff search screen like scouts make more players visible in the player search screen.

1 hour ago, jcp1417 said:

no. a tech director will not make more staff interested in joining

I don't mean make staff more interested in joining. I'm asking if their staff knowledge will result in me being able to find more staff to negotiate with in the first place.

I went through a phase of always making the Tech Dir my first appointment on arriving a club, on the assumption that I would get better suggestions, recommendations, and applications for other staff roles. I didn't really notice an uptick.

While there's a manager attribute for player knowledge and youth knowledge, there isn't one for staff knowledge and maybe there ought to be. Otherwise there's a judging staff ability attribute for staff, but there isn't an equivalent to the scouting team's knowledge of particular countries and regions.

I don't know if this is still the same in newer versions of the game, but from the time the Tech. Dir. was a role in the game, he had the power to fire the manager.

So, the first thing I always do when I go to a club is, Fire the Technical Director. 

It absolutely made no logical sense that the manager can fire the T.D. and the T.D. can fire the manager. Illogical and absurd. 

3 hours ago, du Garbandier said:

I went through a phase of always making the Tech Dir my first appointment on arriving a club, on the assumption that I would get better suggestions, recommendations, and applications for other staff roles. I didn't really notice an uptick.

While there's a manager attribute for player knowledge and youth knowledge, there isn't one for staff knowledge and maybe there ought to be. Otherwise there's a judging staff ability attribute for staff, but there isn't an equivalent to the scouting team's knowledge of particular countries and regions.

2 hours ago, Maviarab said:

@Neil Brock Surely someone can enlighten us as to what exactly this staff member does within the game (or how they affect it), if anything, or whether it is just another 'body' to off-load and delegate duties to?

Yes if we can get @Neil Brockto confirm either way that would be great. If there is no way to increase the visible staff in "staff search" through signing staff whose purpose is hiring staff then I will make a feature request to that effect. But hopefully it already is the case and then I'll just hire one for that purpose and not let him do anything else.

5 minutes ago, Neil Brock said:

Technical Directors are primarily in place to hire staff on your behalf when you don't want the responsibility. Better the JSA, better the staff will likely be. 

Thanks for clarifying!

On 02/02/2023 at 12:58, Neil Brock said:

Technical Directors are primarily in place to hire staff on your behalf when you don't want the responsibility. Better the JSA, better the staff will likely be. 

I'm playing as a top club in the EPL and have hired a Technical Director to handle all staff hiring on all levels. I am currently at the end of January and have a lot of open staff spots mainly in the lower levels.

Main- 4 vacant staff openings

U21- 6/8 coaching team openings have staff, 1/4 medical openings have staff- 5 vacant openings

U18-5/12 coaching team openings have staff, 3/7 medical team openings have staff.- 11 vacant openings

Why is the TD not filling all the openings for staff?

On 01/02/2023 at 23:17, Garethjohn79 said:

If you want them to handle contracts then a good "negotiating" attribute can be important.

6 hours ago, wetfred said:

I'm playing as a top club in the EPL and have hired a Technical Director to handle all staff hiring on all levels. I am currently at the end of January and have a lot of open staff spots mainly in the lower levels.

Main- 4 vacant staff openings

U21- 6/8 coaching team openings have staff, 1/4 medical openings have staff- 5 vacant openings

U18-5/12 coaching team openings have staff, 3/7 medical team openings have staff.- 11 vacant openings

Why is the TD not filling all the openings for staff?

You should post this in the bug forum with a save for them to look St.  

Edited by Weston

• 1 year later...

Apologies from bringing this back from the dead but yesterday had this funny incident.

Our Technical Director seems like he is top quality (stats wise, at least):

TDstats.jpg.4b577fc1104e080d3d8c7b266a190c1d.jpg

Our reputation as a Club is high enough to be able to attract good quality staff:

ClubrepFR.thumb.jpg.5fc62c22064556e1a40c84a0ffd35b40.jpg

I did a manual search for a 2nd team Sports Scientist and this is what I got:

stfsrc.thumb.jpg.df89e978db82c1b0c73399a32b467526.jpg

Finally this is the Sports Scientist my Technical Director hired:

SCapp.jpg.cef4d38f6c91ce19276ad9eb5a1e7f33.jpg

Four (4) in Sports Science, while in my search I could hire a Scientist with at least 14 in that attribute.

So confusing. :cool:
(btw this is FM23).