FM23 My scouts aren't scouting?

I'm currently in the English Vanarama National League South (tier 6) in 2026. My scouts don't really seem to be doing anything--I have one ongoing recruitment focus, for any player matching my tactic, and it has been sitting at 6 recs/2 near misses/1 in progress for over a month now. None of the scouting screens I can find suggest that my scouts are looking at new players. Under Scouting Coverage > Scouting Assignments, one scout has the recruitment focus listed, but he also says "Awaiting an assignment" and "Next planned match: N/A", and his Recruitment Focus Area says "no current assignment". I've never seen scouts planning to attend a match in FM23. Is there something wrong? Why aren't my scouts going out and scouting people?

(Duties: "Assigning scouts" and "Handling scouting meetings" are on me, "Providing scout feedback" is on my chief scout.)

I believe for it to work properly you need to have your 'scouting range' set up too, it is the monthly payment you pay for your scouts to scout a specific region.

I could be wrong, but it is how it works on my save