[FM23 Updated] New Zealand League + Oceania Champions League (Pre-Pandemic format) + FIFA Club World Cup (7 team format)

As I have been playing a ten year save with the original file I discovered some errors and some other changes that I wanted to make to allow for better gameplay and also to include some changes that have happened with rules around the league structure in New Zealand. I have also updated the FIFA Club World Cup format for 2023 with Saudi Arabia recently been confirmed as the host of the next edition. I would like to thank a few members of the forum who have reached out to me in private and helped out with the file. Your contributions have helped me produce a file that improves the experience of anyone wanting to play in the New Zealand league.

I have run a quick 2 season in-game test and have not seen any obvious errors with the three files. The list of changes to the New Zealand league are as follows:

- Player registration rules concerning foreigner limits, substitution limits and usage and under-20 player requirements have been updated for the 2023 season, as well as a triple round robin being implemented for the Northern Conferences and Championships.

- The 10 team championship phase of the National League has been tidied up and rewards the teams with the 5 best regional league campaigns with an extra home game. The tiebreaker criteria has been updated and goal difference is the next criteria after head to head results.

- A minimum stadium capacity of 1,000 has been added for all teams in the Northern, Central and Southern Leagues.

- The transfer window of 1 January to 30 June has lots more news coverage of transfer rumours and an immersive transfer deadline experience for the top tier, leading up to the window shutting on 30 June.

- I have removed all Scouting Packages for all the teams outside of the Northern, Central and Southern Leagues. Media Policies are reduced to big matches for the divisions in the second and third tiers to not have unrealistic press conferences before and after games. 

- Awards such as team and head coach of the year, top goalscorer and best young player (under-20) of the year as well as some monthly awards have been added for the National League to mimic real life. Some award histories were also added with real life data.

- Phoenix Reserves are now a playable team and they cannot play in the same division as Lower Hutt who are an affiliated team. Consequently Phoenix Reserves cannot be relegated from the Central League and Lower Hutt cannot be promoted from the Capital Premier League.

- Phoenix Reserves should always participate in the National League championship but never the Grand Final as they are affiliated with the Asian confederation and so cannot qualify for the Oceania Champions League.

- Teams that have semi-professional or professional status and get relegated to the third tier or lower become amateur teams after a year.

NZ League Final Draft.fmf OFC Champions League Update.fmf FIFA Club World Cup Update.fmf

Edited by jimdownunder

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/03/2023 at 09:30, dbrown6 said:

Hello, I am really glad you made a great NZ database and league. Sadly Is it possible to have it updated for the latest version of 2023?

Hi there,

I am working on updating the file. I have a couple of bugs to iron out. I can post the OFC Champions League and FIFA Club World Cup here in the meantime.

OFC Champions League v23.3.0.fmf FIFA Club World Cup v23.3.0.fmf

Great file! The only minor issue I had with previous version was with Lower Hutt and Phoenix Reserves confusion (I like to manage Phoenix in A-League and also take over the reserve team) as Lower Hutt were considered the 'real' reserve team (I think this was an issue of the original DB). Btw the link between Lower Hutt and Phoenix doesn't seem to exist anymore irl so this should make things easier in the future, I'd suggest to remove the affiliation with Lower Hutt and make Phoenix Reserves the 'real' reserve team of Wellington Phoenix. Another issue (also of original DB since last year) was that Wellington Phoenix players moved to Lower Hutt were considered foreigners in NZ league despite having NZ nationality (maybe because of Phoenix playing in a foreign league?) so maybe something to look at.

,For some reason when i start my save in july 2022 the CWC says qualification starts in november, but in november it is not happening. And Real Madrid starts playing in that tournament in March. When i start my save in january CWC takes place in february, as it should, but there are 8 teams in it.

19 hours ago, kandersson said:

Great file! The only minor issue I had with previous version was with Lower Hutt and Phoenix Reserves confusion (I like to manage Phoenix in A-League and also take over the reserve team) as Lower Hutt were considered the 'real' reserve team (I think this was an issue of the original DB). Btw the link between Lower Hutt and Phoenix doesn't seem to exist anymore irl so this should make things easier in the future, I'd suggest to remove the affiliation with Lower Hutt and make Phoenix Reserves the 'real' reserve team of Wellington Phoenix. Another issue (also of original DB since last year) was that Wellington Phoenix players moved to Lower Hutt were considered foreigners in NZ league despite having NZ nationality (maybe because of Phoenix playing in a foreign league?) so maybe something to look at.

I have resolved this in the forthcoming update. I changed the Phoenix Reserves to a standalone team with a 'B team' affiliation with the Wellington Phoenix and Lower Hutt as a 'feeder team' to the Wellington Phoenix. The only problem left is that after the Northern, Central and Southern leagues finish, the National league screen only displays the Championship tables and Grand final screen and no other information is transferred to the competition screen. Furthermore the competitions screen for teams wipes the regional league information and replaces it with the National League information if the team qualifies for the grand final. I am trying to resolve these issues before submitting the final updated version.

1 hour ago, Failproof said:

,For some reason when i start my save in july 2022 the CWC says qualification starts in november, but in november it is not happening. And Real Madrid starts playing in that tournament in March. When i start my save in january CWC takes place in february, as it should, but there are 8 teams in it.

The FIFA Club World Cup file is designed to work with the NZ National League file. The start date of the NZ League is set for 2023 which ties in with the 2022 edition of the FIFA Club World Cup which was played in February of this year. Whoever wins the 2023 OFC Champions League will qualify for the FIFA Club World Cup of the same year going forward. Interesting news has come to light in recent days of a 6 team annual Club World Cup. A playoff between the CONCACAF and CONMEBOL champions with the winner facing the last team standing between Africa, Asia and Oceania's champions, to decide who faces the UEFA champion. That will be interesting if it comes to fruition starting from 2024, because I can adapt the file to run that way from 2024 onwards.

Hey guys,

I haven't been able to work out a fix for the National League Championship and Grand Final. The competition screen wipes the regional league information for the grand final winning team but the winner and runner-up are recorded in the competition past winners. Statistics and records are unfortunately not displayed in the National League tab and player stats are not separated between the regional league phase and the national league championship and grand final stage. I am hoping that because the New Zealand league is becoming more structured that SI will include the league in its future versions of the game. If someone wants to keep tinkering with my file to address these issues it would be nice to know what is causing these errors. Thanks for the support from the community in the making of this file. It has taken many hours of hard work and input from others in the community to help me along the way.

New Zealand National League v23.3.0.fmf