​[FM23.4] Club World Cup redux

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did an Aussie team win the AFC CL in May 2030? Did Wellington win the A-League that year? I wonder if it got confused with them also coming from OFC. The issue could be that "get best teams from division" with "maximum teams" set to 1 for inactive leagues can actually pull two different teams if you enter it in two different places. Fixing that now

Edited by themodelcitizen

5 hours ago, themodelcitizen said:

Weird. Might be an issue with the host, I'll take a look today. You running other custom files (not TMC) that touch the OFC CL or anything?

I am running a custom Australian and a custom New Zealand file, along with the OFC CL file I mentioned in the Megapack thread

5 hours ago, themodelcitizen said:

Did an Aussie team win the AFC CL in May 2030? Did Wellington win the A-League that year? I wonder if it got confused with them also coming from OFC. The issue could be that "get best teams from division" with "maximum teams" set to 1 for inactive leagues can actually pull two different teams if you enter it in two different places. Fixing that now

The AFC CL that year was won by Al-Nassr and the OFC CL was won by Miramar Rangers. The A-League was won by Western Sydney however Christchurch United (added NZ team) somehow finished 4th before going on to get relegated the next season

@Vakama2619 running smoothly 'til 2073 at least. Although I think what happened in yours was a combination of the host team conflicting with some of the other entries so it just didn't draw the tournament. The new set-up should avoid that.

I know we were talking in the Megapack thread about your custom DB but what do the "continental cup rules" in the NZ league say? You might be able to tell it to send the cup winner with one of the two spots, without changing up the OFC CL, and it should call them as one of NZ's qualified teams.

I did notice that when I added a spot to the O-League, sometimes it would just call up a third NZ team (from the inactive league) in the new spot I opened up, leaving out Wellington Phoenix entirely. I wonder if that was the game "simming" a different cup winner in the background and occupying the third spot with them somehow

15 minutes ago, themodelcitizen said:

@Vakama2619 running smoothly 'til 2073 at least. Although I think what happened in yours was a combination of the host team conflicting with some of the other entries so it just didn't draw the tournament. The new set-up should avoid that.

I know we were talking in the Megapack thread about your custom DB but what do the "continental cup rules" in the NZ league say? You might be able to tell it to send the cup winner with one of the two spots, without changing up the OFC CL, and it should call them as one of NZ's qualified teams.

I did notice that when I added a spot to the O-League, sometimes it would just call up a third NZ team (from the inactive league) in the new spot I opened up, leaving out Wellington Phoenix entirely. I wonder if that was the game "simming" a different cup winner in the background and occupying the third spot with them somehow

Thanks! I'll have a look at the NZ editor file at some stage, thanks for pointing this out tho

28 minutes ago, themodelcitizen said:

Absolutely nothing, which is why it would qualify the league 1st and 2nd placers initially, thanks for the heads up I'll fix it up later on. I've also noticed the winners of the second tier sometimes qualify for the OFC CL as well, this would defo fix that issue

Edited by Vakama2619

Weird. The default OFC uses "get qualified teams for comp" and I think the NZ teams have the seeding of either 0 or 1 (which brings them straight into the group stage). So when you set the qualifiers give them one of those seedings and it should take over from there.

It's odd because if it was "get best teams in division" it would at least default to the top 2 but in your situation with no qualification rules anywhere it's just going crazy, lol.

Is the second tier set to the proper level? On both the competition itself and in the advanced rules? Wonder if that was because it thought that was the top level somehow, or maybe just a more innocuous glitch

@PaMi 7 gosh the default A-League scheduling is a mess isn't it? Bunched up fixtures in January and then like 2 games in April. Can't believe some of the stuff they release as supposedly licensed content. I might have a go at a custom file myself, what other crazy ideas have you incorporated into the Aussie league structure? :lol:

13 ore fa, themodelcitizen ha scritto:

@PaMi 7 gosh the default A-League scheduling is a mess isn't it? Bunched up fixtures in January and then like 2 games in April. Can't believe some of the stuff they release as supposedly licensed content. I might have a go at a custom file myself, what other crazy ideas have you incorporated into the Aussie league structure? :lol:

???

19 hours ago, themodelcitizen said:

I mean aside from noticing most people remove the A League finals which has a 0% chance of happening, apparently theres supposed to have an offical national second tier starting at the start of next year, clubs are currently in the process of being elected and a recent rumor is that Sunshine Coast Fire had been invited, the A-League is supposed to have 2 clubs joining the league in 2024 (based in Canberra and Auckland, would guess Canberra United and Auckland City) although nothing more has been spoken about these changes) with 2 more clubs rumored to join in later seasons based in the state of Tasmania and a second Queensland team, the latter would likely be either Gold Coast Knights/United)

Wow, Auckland A-League would be cool. I noticed while researching that aside from some talk in 2008 or so there really hasn't been any discussion of the Phoenix playing in the O-League, doesn't seem like there's much appetite  to divert their season with these trips to the South Pacific to play a bunch of part-timers. But if there were 2 Kiwi A-League Men teams - one of them having a history in the Club World Cup already - then it might change things

On 04/10/2023 at 12:29, Liffa said:

@Jorgen Where did you get the youth cups?

Is it these files (no Dallas cup though):

u looking for the world U18 and U19 U21 or U21 cups or u looking for like the tournaments for like U18 teams and such.. let me know and i can send u the files

5 minutes ago, themodelcitizen said:

Wow, Auckland A-League would be cool. I noticed while researching that aside from some talk in 2008 or so there really hasn't been any discussion of the Phoenix playing in the O-League, doesn't seem like there's much appetite  to divert their season with these trips to the South Pacific to play a bunch of part-timers. But if there were 2 Kiwi A-League Men teams - one of them having a history in the Club World Cup already - then it might change things

I wasn't aware of the Phoenix talk myself but that is definitely something I'd love to see, if it's automatic qualification, putting them into the Chatham Cup or some other means of qualification. Do keep in mind however Auckland City joining the A-League wasn't offical, just that Auckland is getting an expansion team, may end up being a new franchise created completely but I'd love to see Auckland City joining the competition

13 minutes ago, themodelcitizen said:

Oh yeah, I was just reading about it after you posted. I can see the Auckland City chairman is involved so assumed it would be them making the jump but everyone is so tight-lipped. Could be a new brand entirely, if it actually happens 

Confirmed to be Auckland + Canberra just a matter of who, the chairman part kinda indicates you pay more attention to soccer in my own country thank I do :D

I did read an article months ago about Football Australia aiming to eventually have promotion and relegation throughout the entire pyramid from top to bottom. It'll definitely be a struggle and the main reason behind it would for sure be money, 100% see most of the NSD clubs moving close to bankruptcy (main reason why we adopt a closed league system in all sporting leagues across the country.) Spoke to my father about the topic and he and I both agreed on that first one quite quickly, I would definitely like to see the end goal of a full pyramid but it does seem nearly impossible, I do remember they were looking to emulate the Japanese pyramid and did have a contingency plan for money apparently. The first major issue is the NSD is planned to be a calendar year format like the other lower leagues while the A League is played over the summer (October-May)

Yeah, lots of parallels with MLS. Plus if you're going to charge the new A-League teams $20mil to get in, I doubt they'll be too happy when you come back in 2 years and tell them they can be relegated and replaced by Sydney Marconi or whoever (no disrespect to Sydney Marconi mind you) who haven't paid any expansion fees

1 minute ago, themodelcitizen said:

Yeah, lots of parallels with MLS. Plus if you're going to charge the new A-League teams $20mil to get in, I doubt they'll be too happy when you come back in 2 years and tell them they can be relegated and replaced by Sydney Marconi or whoever (no disrespect to Sydney Marconi mind you) who haven't paid any expansion fees

Yeah I can defenitely see that happening, although I did not think of that happening, despite the fact I wouldn't be surprised if the MLS clubs would have same opinion. (And the club you are referring to is called Marconi Stallions btw)

I can also see promotion/relegation from the A-League ending up similar to English rugby league where the relegated clubs will just find themselves bouncing straight back up while the promoted clubs drop straight back down

Club & country saves with Wellington Phoenix and NZ have been a favorite of mine for years though my first 'love' were the Auckland-based Football Kingz back in the old CM days - and before A-League. Good to see more NZ clubs in professional leagues, should be fun to play in FM 25 :D

On 11/10/2023 at 07:08, kandersson said:

Club & country saves with Wellington Phoenix and NZ have been a favorite of mine for years though my first 'love' were the Auckland-based Football Kingz back in the old CM days - and before A-League. Good to see more NZ clubs in professional leagues, should be fun to play in FM 25 :D

Mind if I ask more about this because you wouldn't have had access to continental competitions back then?

8 hours ago, Vakama2619 said:

Mind if I ask more about this because you wouldn't have had access to continental competitions back then?

It was CM 2003-04 so it's been a while and I don't remember exactly though I'm sure Australia was still in OFC so I guess all clubs in the NSL (from both Australia and NZ) would reguarly qualify for OFC continental competitions. Btw I also remember that for maybe a couple of FM editions Phoenix were eliglible for AFC competitions as their status was unclear IRL and FM treated them as a regular A-League club.

I know the European champions are slated to come straight in at the final at the new tournament from December 2024, which I have reflected in the CWC file. But I also love the idea of doing the host + OFC in one playoff (pretty standard), then an Asian-African playoff which also hands out the Afro-Asian club championship trophy (which has a unique ID and history in the game already), and then a North vs. South America playoff which also awards the Copa Interamericana. Then the playoff winners would join the UEFA champ in the semis. This should be doable with "other competition to use" and/or "add history"

I feel it would be harder to win and more exciting to play if the UEFA CL winner doest not get a free pass directly into the finals

Would the play-off winners then be randomized in the semis in your suggested set-up?

• 1 month later...