Goal’s Scored - Opinions on the Sweet Spot

I just wondered if anyone had views on what the sweetspot % was for goals scored against shots taken. 

im playing as Feyenoord. 1st season finished runner-up. My main striker bagged 31 goals but was so wasteful in games. Given he scored 30+ its difficult to be unhappy. I started looking at goal stats as generally I was on top most games creating and having significantly more goal attempts but never really seemed to build on the dominance in games with goals. Lots of close games scoreline wise but not statistically. 

2nd season much the same. Sitting 2nd behind PSV again. Same thread of loads of possession, lots of shots, not the number of goals I was hoping for. 

Delving into it….overall I noticed 1st season I had a conversion of about 12% based on total shots against actual goals (936/114)

2nd season running roughly the same. 

Looking at main rivals, PSV and Ajax run at closer to 14%…based on my total goal attempts thats about another 20 goals a season

Just wondered if others had studied this area and what % they run at. 

Any tips to boost goals greatly received!! 

As no one replied to you yet...

Better players (a given really) and maybe look to increase/better your chance creation.  If a lot of those shots were really half-chances at best...then it's going to skew the stats for that player.  Better/higher quality chances will result in a better goal return (or, should in theory), if the player/tactics/roles/individual instructions etc allow for it.  Be interesting to know the stats for shots on target too, might give a better indication of whether he is just being wasteful (for whatever reason), or a lot are being saved/he trying to place shots as opposed to shoots with power.  Are most of his shots outside the box or inside?

Player traits can matter also, shoot on sight, takes early shots, like to shoot from distance etc etc, change tacticical instructions maybe so forward isn't wasting as many chances and he should keep hold of the ball instead of taking a half-chance pot-shot.  There's unfortunately a lot that could be at play here.

Edited by Maviarab
More context.

That's difficult to quantify because it would depend on the kind of shot and where he's taking them from. If most of his shots are coming from inside the box and he misses he's not getting at least half of those on target then it's a problem. For me I look more at the shot on target ratio and if he's matching or outscoring his xg.

Scoring goals on FM23 has been my biggest problem. I've managed teams at every level and tried lots of different tactics and I've never had a problem creating good chances but my attackers struggle to score. I've had players with really good finishing and composure just blast the ball over when through on goal, or tamely pass it into the keepers arms or place shots wide when its easier to score. On average we have about 35% of shots on target and around 11% to 13% conversion rates. We also hit the woodwork with around 10% of our shots (which is very high compared to the premiership in real life that averages less than 3%).

On my current save we are only 7 games into the season but so far we have had 32% of our shots on target and converted only 7% of those. We have 8 goals from an expected 15.03

I can't work out how to improve it as I've tried loads of tactics and can create easy chances but my players just fluff them all the time, its my biggest issue with FM23 as its happened on every save I've tried.

24 minutes ago, Weed07 said:

Scoring goals on FM23 has been my biggest problem. I've managed teams at every level and tried lots of different tactics and I've never had a problem creating good chances but my attackers struggle to score. I've had players with really good finishing and composure just blast the ball over when through on goal, or tamely pass it into the keepers arms or place shots wide when its easier to score. On average we have about 35% of shots on target and around 11% to 13% conversion rates. We also hit the woodwork with around 10% of our shots (which is very high compared to the premiership in real life that averages less than 3%).

On my current save we are only 7 games into the season but so far we have had 32% of our shots on target and converted only 7% of those. We have 8 goals from an expected 15.03

I can't work out how to improve it as I've tried loads of tactics and can create easy chances but my players just fluff them all the time, its my biggest issue with FM23 as its happened on every save I've tried.

I think the woodwork thing has been an issue for many years.  if I had a pound for every shot that hit the beans...I'd be a happy man.