How to move on from a small club to a bigger club?

I'm currently halfway through the season in Finland's top flight - after winning the second division we are now on course to win the league.

I intend to move on after getting the trophy, and my contract is expiring 30 Nov because of the winter scheduling in Finland.

In past FMs I noticed that applying for jobs while employed was very heavily frowned upon to the point that it hurt your chances of getting a job for some reason, so I don't want to accept my club's renewal even though in real life it's best to job hunt while employed and only walk away once you've found something. But if you let your contract run out in prior versions of the game you still had to resign anyway, and then you got asked disapprovingly why you'd resigned in past jobs as well, so that wasn't an ideal alternative either.

Is this frustrating lose-lose scenario still present, and if so, what is the best way to navigate it, keeping in mind I'll become free mid-season for most clubs in Europe?

I just got (and rejected) a job offer from a 3* club despite having 2* reputation at a 2* club, so I would hope I could find something decent after adding some more silverware in a few months, even if I have to wait a semester and start fresh after someone's sacked in spring.

As far as I'm aware there should be no negative to resigning when on a month to month rolling contract (ie expired).  I would be surprised if you got an offer from more than a 3 or 3.5 star team though.

On 01/03/2023 at 16:16, Maviarab said:

As far as I'm aware there should be no negative to resigning when on a month to month rolling contract (ie expired).  I would be surprised if you got an offer from more than a 3 or 3.5 star team though.

I thought in FM22 you would get asked in interviews why you resigned, no? Even though you didn't really.

22 minutes ago, Weston said:

I thought in FM22 you would get asked in interviews why you resigned, no? Even though you didn't really.

Couldn't say in '22 as before this years, not played since '18 but from what have read/watched on the Toob of more recent versions, you should be fine once your actual contract has expired. (On this, this is just another example of issues within FM, when your contract finished you should leave, not be put onto a rolling contract and terrible interactions but..meh).

29 minutes ago, Maviarab said:

(On this, this is just another example of issues within FM, when your contract finished you should leave, not be put onto a rolling contract and terrible interactions but..meh).

Agreed.

I jumped up reputations helped by having achieved objectives, habits or styles of play that align with the vacancy. So having won promotions, applying for a job at a club facing promotion, avoiding relegation for a club expected to fight relegation, known for signing U23s, known for possession based game. Etc etc. 

44 minutes ago, numbas2 said:

I jumped up reputations helped by having achieved objectives, habits or styles of play that align with the vacancy. So having won promotions, applying for a job at a club facing promotion, avoiding relegation for a club expected to fight relegation, known for signing U23s, known for possession based game. Etc etc. 

Right, I get all of that, just wondering about the actual mechanics of making the transition itself, which has always been surprisingly clunky.

From my experience in FM23 and I'm sure FM22 was the same, if you let your contract run down - then two things will happen. You'll leave the club but it will be recognised that your contract ran out rather than you resigning or the club will allow you stay in the role on a month to month contract but this may depend on how well you've done at the club for this to happen.

Either way, if you don't actually click the resign button and simply let your contract run out - you shouldn't be penalised for it - your rep will remain intact. Where as if you do actively resign yourself before then, I've noticed that your rep can take a hit from doing so.

Still seems like an unrealistic risk to walk away without a new job lined up, but you can't apply before your contract expires without the game penalizing you.

You should be able to set yourself for release like you can for players who won't be renewed, so during the end of your season but before the date you actually expire you can freely apply for jobs to begin afterward.

I get what you mean but think it depends on the board. I applied for 7-8 jobs whilst still at Dulwich Hamlet, they never batted an eyelid (and I was doing well) but once did say they hoped I would stay. It was all for nothing and I resigned at the end of the season on the day my contract expired. A few months later I got a job and a few other offers, I was only ever asked by the media about resigning from my previous club. Interviews were fine.

I find it frustrating too when I try to move clubs. I try to follow the game "rules" as much as possible, but also try to use common sence. So I check other leagues where I would like to manage a club and try to find a club where it would be realistic to get appointment. Then I just take charge of a next club.

So in your case if you get promotion to top league in Finland and next season you win the league I think you should be able to get a job in a midtable club in the Netherlands or Belgium, 2. Bundesliga, lower league club in Championship, maybe buttom club in Ligue 1.

I agry on the importance of Adaptability. Next to results its the most important predictor how you will adapt to a new culture and country.

Edited by HugoDantes