Players don't like my training

I am going through my 3rd season in the game, second team I manage and in both teams I was getting complaints from some players, that they either think they overtrain, or train on something that won't benefit them.

Since the older versions of the game, I am training the youngsters more (double intensity+additional focus), while for the over 20s I might add an additional focus and single intensity.

Regarding the overall training, I usually add 2 sessions on the given routine, per week.

Question 1:

Am I overtraining the team, based on the addition of 2 extra hours of training per week?

Question 2:

Is the training to youngsters to much?

Question 3:

Is training meant to be light for every player?

I don't have answers to your specific questions (sorry!), but the first thing i would look at is the personalities of the players.  Are the players complaining newer to the club?  Perhaps they are not as professional (or some other hidden attribute) and are unable (or unwilling) to train like the other players?

Note: I have used liverpool before and i had players complaining about the extra training not benefiting them.  I think i read on here that many people just ignore this unless they really kick up a stink about it.

Note 2: to be honest, these days i just leave training up to the assistant manager.  Is it getting the absolute maximum out of training? probably not.  Is it reducing the amount of tasks i have to do and meaning no complaints? yes.  Buit of course we all play the game differently!

All your questions boil down to this: Are your players tired and injured all the time? If yes, then they're overtrained and you need to change something. If not, then everything is fine in most cases since their complaints usually don't influence their training performance and the additional focus does help their development.

But when your players complain that they won't benefit from the additional focus or that they train too much and you do see their training performance take a hit, for example, going below 7 or dropping from a stable 9 to 7.5, then you need to change the focus or lower the intensity as otherwise they might decline slightly and/or won't improve as well as they could.

Hi. I just watched a YouTube video on training by FM Scout that is quite different and thought-provoking. It suggests:

• hiring coaches with attractive personalities (professional or model citizen) rather than their star rating
  • upload pre-set weekly training sessions that are quite intense in my opinion
  • set individual training intensity to automatic
  • set Rest on double intensity in the top two condition tiers.

It's pretty heavy training system but claims to drive dramatic improvements in players' attributes. I don't think they tested this approach extensively, and my squad seems more prone to injuries and tiredness, but I'm giving it a go to see what this will lead me to.

This is the video. Enjoy.

I've learned the hard way not to pay attention to those player complaints about training that come up from time to time.  I don't know this for a fact, but my gut feeling is that it has more to do with professionalism levels than the training you've set up.  If you change things, you'll notice over time that the same players will constantly complain about training, wavering from complaining about there being too much of this kind of training to there not being enough of that kind of training.

Evidence Based Football Manager has the best information on how training actually works in Football Manager.  Unlike others, he holds all other variables constant while testing.  His training schedule works extremely well on FM23.

On 29/04/2023 at 19:53, phd_angel said:

Hi. I just watched a YouTube video on training by FM Scout that is quite different and thought-provoking. It suggests:

• hiring coaches with attractive personalities (professional or model citizen) rather than their star rating
  • upload pre-set weekly training sessions that are quite intense in my opinion
  • set individual training intensity to automatic
  • set Rest on double intensity in the top two condition tiers.

It's pretty heavy training system but claims to drive dramatic improvements in players' attributes. I don't think they tested this approach extensively, and my squad seems more prone to injuries and tiredness, but I'm giving it a go to see what this will lead me to.

This is the video. Enjoy.

Meh the overall gist of the video is ok, but player growth is nerfed/spread out compared to 2/3 years ago. And player fatigue is also more impactfull (to counter the gegenpress meta).  So you wont get the same results

-So the double intensity on full condition yes, but not on anything below, or you'll have an injury crisis very soon.
-Personalities are important for staff, but especially for youth staff
-The training shedule looks fine, not too dissimilar of what evidence based FM came up with. General attacking and defending provides the biggest boost in attribute growth

But yeah, never let your assman do the training. and let them complain, as long as they grow and are happy about everything else its fine

Thank you All for your replies.

I actually think it's a bit random and has to do with their personnalities, because it's usually the same ones moaning a lot and even when I change the training, they might stop complaining for a month or 2 and then, they'll start again.

So, I'll just ignore them, or maybe train them till I break them :applause: