Does removing leagues/divisions also remove players

I want to start a setup with the lower leagues in England, down to like level 15. This makes the game run slowly for me, I believe, partly due to the number of leagues, but also the number of players. As I move up through the leagues with my team, I'd like to remove the level below, to make the game speed up. 

I know removing the leagues will make the game speed up, but would this also remove those players? And would those clubs from the removed leagues continue to get newgens? 

Because the point is, I'd want the vast majority of them removing, to speed the game up.

I could be wrong, but I think it will have an impact on the amount of regens being generated, at least over time. 
I think I'm right in saying that the number of leagues running is a bigger impact on performance than the number of players, because the game needs to simulate the results in detail for the user, so if you remove the tier below as you progress, you should gradually see the processing speed increase. 

And as you remove more of the lower leagues, you'll have significantly less players over time, so that should doubly help