Scouting Assignments issues... ''We are consulting our own staff for initial recommendations''

Hi don't know if this is an in-game issue or just down to my game set up etc

I've scouts able to find and promote players from most countries I send them too. But I have sent scouts with high adaptability stat to the likes of Ghana, South Africa and China plus a few other African countries and for almost a full season it just says ''We are consulting our own staff for initial recommendations'' and hasn't changed since with zero recommendations.

The scouts I sent have a mixture of coverage ratings from very good to extensive for most of these countries but still the scout assignment status doesn't change. Only one of them have their knowledge at nominal so I understand that they will take their time to build up knowledge before being able to make any scout recommendations.

Lastly, when I sent scouts out I usually search for any position, min current ability 2 stars and min potential ability 4 stars and ages between 15 - 19. However, due to these scout assignments so far not bring anyone forward I've changed these basic settings to min current ability 1 stars and min potential ability 3 stars and ages between 15 - 24 but still to no avail.

This is where I feel I might be stupid but I do have the South Africa & Chinese leagues loaded to view only whilst non of the others are loaded as playable or view only... Would this be one of the reasons for the poor scouting in these countries or could it be a bug?

My scouting staff stats for adapability, potential and current abilities are all pretty much 17 and above.

If anyone has any advice / suggestions it would be greatly appreciated :)

Hi man,

I'm currently 6 years into a Celtic save. My team are pretty decent, regularly getting to knockout/ quarters of the Champions League.

Since I posted there have been no further changes and still getting the same ''We are consulting our own staff for initial recommendations'' message.

I've had other assigments say to adjust parameters to improve the searches but just finding it a bit weird it's only China and the African countries that appear impacted.

Just to test things out I'll reduce these parameters further and increase the age gap to see if anything does change.

On 02/05/2023 at 08:09, dthocs said:

I've scouts able to find and promote players from most countries I send them too. But I have sent scouts with high adaptability stat to the likes of Ghana, South Africa and China plus a few other African countries and for almost a full season it just says ''We are consulting our own staff for initial recommendations'' and hasn't changed since with zero recommendations.

The scouts I sent have a mixture of coverage ratings from very good to extensive for most of these countries but still the scout assignment status doesn't change. Only one of them have their knowledge at nominal so I understand that they will take their time to build up knowledge before being able to make any scout recommendations.

Lastly, when I sent scouts out I usually search for any position, min current ability 2 stars and min potential ability 4 stars and ages between 15 - 19. However, due to these scout assignments so far not bring anyone forward I've changed these basic settings to min current ability 1 stars and min potential ability 3 stars and ages between 15 - 24 but still to no avail.

This is where I feel I might be stupid but I do have the South Africa & Chinese leagues loaded to view only whilst non of the others are loaded as playable or view only... Would this be one of the reasons for the poor scouting in these countries or could it be a bug?

My scouting staff stats for adapability, potential and current abilities are all pretty much 17 and above.

I had this come up in my Banbridge (NI semi pro) save. I finally realised that I had run out of scouting budget. No funds, no scouting :) A top up fixed it for me.

star rating is compared to your team.  so maybe your team is already very good and the scout is struggling to find better players? 4 star potential is a definitefuture  starter for your team.  Not a lot of people in the real world from China and South Africa starting for teams like Celtic.  Maybe consider other regions? or lower your requirements?

Going back to the actual question that was originally asked — I think there's a bug with the recruitment focus system.  I've seen the exact same thing happen.  The game might come up with a dozen or two recommendations, and then will simply not recommend any other new signings unless you completely change the recruitment focus.

I've also noticed that the game will not recommend players under 17 years old.  Now, it's true that under 17 players are much less likely to sign for your side in FM23.  It's not impossible to sign them, though, and there is no reason why scouts should not be able to find a few players here or there who have high potential regardless of whether they are willing to change clubs right now.

As a result, I've sent my scouts out to deliberately scout specific players.  I usually have them scout any under 19 players on any national team (including youth teams).  Before my Yanbian save crashed, I also had scouts going through every single under 19 Chinese newgen that I could find.

Doing it yourself takes a bit of setup time, but it actually goes faster in-game than having the scouts try to find recommendations on their own.  Once the system was up and going, I'd get something like 20 scouting reports a week, even when the transfer window was closed.

It would be really nice if I could make more specific demands of my scouts in the recruitment focus system.  For example, I can't specify that players should have a certain personality type, or should not have consistency problems, or should not be injury prone.  Since there's no way to avoid scouts making big recommendations for players with huge problems, the most efficient way to scout is to simply have your scouts look at everybody possible and then sort out their recommendations on their own.

I don't think FM's scouting system is awful.  I just think it would be nice if we could arrange things a bit more efficiently.  If there are realism concerns about knowing tidbits about consistency, injury proneness, or hatred of big matches, then make those attributes hidden.  It's bizarre that my scouts can tell me certain problems about each player, and yet I can't tell them not to tell me about players who have those problems.

On 05/05/2023 at 04:42, KnotveryAthletic said:

I had this come up in my Banbridge (NI semi pro) save. I finally realised that I had run out of scouting budget. No funds, no scouting :) A top up fixed it for me.

I've had a look I'm forunate enough to have a very decent sized scouting budget and after checking i don't think this is what has impacted my save tbh, thanks for that suggestion though, I didn't even think that might something I'd need to keep an eye on at other clubs... which I will now!

On 05/05/2023 at 07:49, Andros said:

star rating is compared to your team.  so maybe your team is already very good and the scout is struggling to find better players? 4 star potential is a definitefuture  starter for your team.  Not a lot of people in the real world from China and South Africa starting for teams like Celtic.  Maybe consider other regions? or lower your requirements?

Yeah, I initially started thinking this might be the problem, but since that post i have reduced the ratings, now half start current and 1 and a half potential just to try and narrow down the issue and still the same consulting our own staff message appears, and still it's only the China and African counties affected, I think it's a bug tbh, cheers for your suggestions though!

On 05/05/2023 at 12:58, Daniel Evensen said:

Going back to the actual question that was originally asked — I think there's a bug with the recruitment focus system.  I've seen the exact same thing happen.  The game might come up with a dozen or two recommendations, and then will simply not recommend any other new signings unless you completely change the recruitment focus.

I've also noticed that the game will not recommend players under 17 years old.  Now, it's true that under 17 players are much less likely to sign for your side in FM23.  It's not impossible to sign them, though, and there is no reason why scouts should not be able to find a few players here or there who have high potential regardless of whether they are willing to change clubs right now.

As a result, I've sent my scouts out to deliberately scout specific players.  I usually have them scout any under 19 players on any national team (including youth teams).  Before my Yanbian save crashed, I also had scouts going through every single under 19 Chinese newgen that I could find.

Doing it yourself takes a bit of setup time, but it actually goes faster in-game than having the scouts try to find recommendations on their own.  Once the system was up and going, I'd get something like 20 scouting reports a week, even when the transfer window was closed.

It would be really nice if I could make more specific demands of my scouts in the recruitment focus system.  For example, I can't specify that players should have a certain personality type, or should not have consistency problems, or should not be injury prone.  Since there's no way to avoid scouts making big recommendations for players with huge problems, the most efficient way to scout is to simply have your scouts look at everybody possible and then sort out their recommendations on their own.

I don't think FM's scouting system is awful.  I just think it would be nice if we could arrange things a bit more efficiently.  If there are realism concerns about knowing tidbits about consistency, injury proneness, or hatred of big matches, then make those attributes hidden.  It's bizarre that my scouts can tell me certain problems about each player, and yet I can't tell them not to tell me about players who have those problems.

After the last week or two I've changed my scouting parameters and cancelled and set up new parameters with the most suitable staff but still no joy, so I definitely believe there is a bug. To be fair I've been ruining this game since FM23 came out and grew massively attached to my team so down want to down sticks. I will maybe run another game but and see if the issues occur there too. 

I agree with your opinion on the scouting not being too awful, I feel it just needs a bit of adjusting. I feel we should be able to give at least the head scout some more specifics which could act as a further filter with regards to issues like injury proness or not being able to cope with big matches etc

Also to be fair when I set up my focus roughly 6 or 7 times out of 10 the recommended player is one I genuinely consider signing. However, my biggest gripe is that some scouts do recommended players from my rivals Rangers which just does not happen, and on occasion they recommend a player completely out my transfer/wage bracket too. but they tend to be few and far between. Just this consulting own staff issue that is the one thing something feels completely off with countries from Africa or China. 

Thanks for the suggestions but! 

On 01/05/2023 at 23:09, dthocs said:

It seems buggy. I've noticed players who would fit my criteria appear in the partial matches then disappear forever. I am going to try lowering mine to see if it improves.

This may have changed in FM23 but a lot of work was done to understand scouting in FM22 and it works like this. A scout will go to any matches played that fit the assignment, the caveat being that if you choose a country that has no league loaded (playable or view only), the only matches that scout will be able to go to are national team matches or if that country has clubs in continental competitions. Your scout will be going to China and South Africa as they are loaded leagues, but will rarely visit Ghana. They also find holding onto scouting knowledge harder if they have multiple countries on their docket.

For nations with no leagues, it is probably better to get a team report on the national teams youth squad.