Foreign based players ineligible for international team?

rusty217

I'm trying to redo the African and Asian regional international competitions and I'm having an issue with some of them where only players based in that country are eligible to play.

20230528222659_1.thumb.jpg.33b6ba1e8d94173f46a3e595399cc76d.jpg

Is there any way to get rid of this and let them choose any players? I did wonder if it was hardcoded for the competition so created a new competition and inserted that in with the same rules instead, that didn't work either. Actually ended up with even domestic based players being ineligible at one point, but I haven't been able to get foreign based players to be eligible.

Edited by rusty217

5 hours ago, rusty217 said:

Is there any way to get rid of this and let them choose any players? 

Did you change any dates? Is this during an international window? If not, I'd suggest that changing the dates to a window would be something to test. 

EDIT: 

The official FIFA calendar suggests June isn't a period for internationals except certain named tournaments. I haven't looked around the editor enough regarding these dates but I'm sure that's doable. 

https://digitalhub.fifa.com/m/3123d37097318f7f/original/Men-s-International-Match-Calendar-2023-2030_EN.pdf

image.png.877f9bdf63925a07f3e92e100795d5bf.png

Edited by Fredrik

10 hours ago, Wolf_pd said:

That's a first time I am seeing that. Are there any settings that determine if foreign based players can't be picked?

There are a few, for things like the African Championship of Nations. I don't believe I have any selected for this tournament though.

5 hours ago, Fredrik said:

Did you change any dates? Is this during an international window? If not, I'd suggest that changing the dates to a window would be something to test. 

EDIT: 

The official FIFA calendar suggests June isn't a period for internationals except certain named tournaments. I haven't looked around the editor enough regarding these dates but I'm sure that's doable. 

https://digitalhub.fifa.com/m/3123d37097318f7f/original/Men-s-International-Match-Calendar-2023-2030_EN.pdf

Pretty sure that isn't the issue. I have other tournaments running at the same time with no problem. I sometimes use June dates for my South American Nations League finals and they're still able to select foreign based players. I also have the West Asian Championship in January which allows foreign based players too.

3 hours ago, rusty217 said:

Pretty sure that isn't the issue. I have other tournaments running at the same time with no problem. I sometimes use June dates for my South American Nations League finals and they're still able to select foreign based players. I also have the West Asian Championship in January which allows foreign based players too.

What is different between your West Asian tournament and this one except the dates? 

For example here:

image.png.78be0cab26bc86bdbf2954169ec88857.png

Edited by Fredrik

7 hours ago, Fredrik said:

What is different between your West Asian tournament and this one except the dates? 

For example here:

There's nothing immediately obvious. That option is unselected for both.

It also seems to be pretty hit and miss. The South East Asian competition doesn't have the issue but the South & Central Asian ones do. They're all in June like the East Asian one. I don't get why 2 competitions work the way I want them to, but the other 3 don't.

I believe all the African ones have this issue as well. Haven't tested them as thoroughly, been mostly focused on the East Asian competition figuring if I can fix that I can just apply that change to all the others and it should work, but no luck yet.

Here's the file: zz International Overhaul.fmf

10 hours ago, rusty217 said:

There are a few, for things like the African Championship of Nations. I don't believe I have any selected for this tournament though.

That one was hardcoded I thought

8 hours ago, Fredrik said:

For example here:

Interesting, where can I find that one?

3 hours ago, rusty217 said:

There's nothing immediately obvious. That option is unselected for both.

It also seems to be pretty hit and miss. The South East Asian competition doesn't have the issue but the South & Central Asian ones do. They're all in June like the East Asian one. I don't get why 2 competitions work the way I want them to, but the other 3 don't.

I believe all the African ones have this issue as well. Haven't tested them as thoroughly, been mostly focused on the East Asian competition figuring if I can fix that I can just apply that change to all the others and it should work, but no luck yet.

Here's the file: zz International Overhaul.fmf

I see that you have that option unticked. 

Try it like this instead:

image.png.45a2c30765ff42e6b6693817cbf62f23.png

It's worth a try. I managed to get a rudimentary East Asian competition to work for me. I did like that but also had the tournament in January. 

On 29/05/2023 at 23:51, Fredrik said:

I see that you have that option unticked. 

Try it like this instead:

It's worth a try. I managed to get a rudimentary East Asian competition to work for me. I did like that but also had the tournament in January. 

It worked! Thanks a lot! I thought I'd already tried that, but apparently not. Got teams to actually be able to select their foreign players and had Son play and score for South Korea already.

20230531180102_1.thumb.jpg.4ba9890eb8a3a9ee7e5f043bd7959998.jpg

Now I've just got to copy it over to the other competitions and hope it works for those too.

@Fredrik you beauty:D

its been driving me bonkers, I only had the issue after editing the World Cup finals to have more teams, and editing the qualifiers in Europe to take place  in June[so there are no international breaks during the league season] the qualifiers for Euros and World Cup are basically mini tournaments with all group games played back to back in European summer

I had nothing ticked anywhere to use continent based players only

but this happened as images below, and only for African nation qualifiers [FIFA WC qualifiers are fine]- :seagull:

doing as you suggest seems to be the fix:thup:

cheers

7916c706a2d153954e960b195a091845.jpg

155fb57ad4d9cc15073c6dca19f2e6a55.jpg

f001f91f2c432c1854c699ef967ae82e.jpg

432f4c64be158dfb1f8baaa583175fda.jpg

Edited by Roy Race 9

the 'Finals' in Africa previously were picking overseas based players  but now after I edited the qualifiers to be like this, it seems I have to do the finals too

ran a test on holiday and this happened[image 2 and 3 below] you get greyed out fake players in some squads or just this- unless I tick that first box only as image above

f83c5eae1199f08db956b1f7f4c54d0b.jpg

b42278ff030b1f1b0418ca11c5f5e39c.jpg

Edited by Roy Race 9

FYI 

I was also finding that the African Cup of nations was only playing out 1 semi final in 2023

[there are 2 sets of fixtures set up for 2023/2025 for AFCON]

the only way I could resolve it was to set both semis to be played on the same day there seems to be a bug in that the semis were set over 2 days in these fixtures in the editor, but the rules in game indicated they should be played on one day only 18/7/23- so I set to this and issue is resolved, both semis are now played.

image.thumb.png.92c2f4d0bdb3ad6321655cd483489de4.png

Edited by Roy Race 9

10 hours ago, Roy Race 9 said:

FYI 

I was also finding that the African Cup of nations was only playing out 1 semi final in 2023

[there are 2 sets of fixtures set up for 2023/2025 for AFCON]

the only way I could resolve it was to set both semis to be played on the same day there seems to be a bug in that the semis were set over 2 days in these fixtures in the editor, but the rules in game indicated they should be played on one day only 18/7/23- so I set to this and issue is resolved, both semis are now played.

Could be an issue with fixture clashes? I noticed in your screenshot above that you have World Cup qualifiers overlapping with the African Nations.

11 hours ago, rusty217 said:

Could be an issue with fixture clashes? I noticed in your screenshot above that you have World Cup qualifiers overlapping with the African Nations.

Hi

The issue resolved by having both semis on same day, but at different times and stadiums so not too bad

you are right about the overlapping I am going to move all World cup qualifiers to be like the European set up I have so they play as virtually mini tournaments  in June, same for Euros qualifiers 

I will also bring AFCON etc in line with Euros so they play at same time and get a Worldwide international window of games, also now removed International friendlies down to 1 a year so the club calendar  doesnt get interrupted all the time.

Edited by Roy Race 9