Need help with my 4-4-2

This tactic was working well in the much lower leagues on FM21. I used to be able to switch between high press or low compact block. The teams in league one seem to expose it. I had success but now i'm doubting it all together.

I dont seem to be able to create alot of chances and the chance I do create arent very good. very little clear cut chances. Originally I was using it for possession but I seem to be making drastic changes every game now to even create chances.

Some ideas please. 

image.png.558f6ba4b03bb34b9e014610a14c7de1.png

Edited by djpdavey
Incorrect screenshot

31 minutes ago, djpdavey said:

This tactic was working well in the much lower leagues on FM21. I used to be able to switch between high press or low compact block. The teams in league one seem to expose it. I had success but now i'm doubting it all together.

I dont seem to be able to create alot of chances and the chance I do create arent very good. very little clear cut chances. Originally I was using it for possession but I seem to be making drastic changes every game now to even create chances.

Some ideas please. 

image.png

Basically you need two players directly responsible for scoring goals (in your second tactic you have 0) and more players going forward in your tactic. 

Very few players, including in your defensive third, capable of moving/carrying the ball up the pitch. You're distributing to the centerbacks and probably getting stuck there w/play out from the back doubling down your problem. DLP will recycle possession so he's not going to be progressing the ball, particularly on defend and without additional PI instructions. 

Lots of potential fixes: SK, BPD, a wingback(a) instead of the FB(a), DLP(s), Two strikers on attack, more direct etc. 

You could also bin the DLP and go w a CM + WP(a) on the left with a wingback (s) behind: that could help address your creativity uses. Just an example of one way of addressing the lack of creativity going forward.

Edited by Cloud9

13 hours ago, Cloud9 said:

You could also bin the DLP and go w a CM + WP(a) on the left with a wingback (s) behind: that could help address your creativity uses

Would the WP and the DLF not get in eachothers way or be too close together? 

Lots of potential fixes: SK, BPD, a wingback(a) instead of the FB(a), DLP(s), Two strikers on attack, more direct etc.

Thanks. lots to think about.

Basically you need two players directly responsible for scoring goals (in your second tactic you have 0) and more players going forward in your tactic. 

The second screenshot was a mistake (took it after tinkering around). My bad, thought I had removed it.

14 hours ago, djpdavey said:

Some ideas please. 

8 hours ago, djpdavey said:

Would the WP and the DLF not get in eachothers way or be too close together? 

Thanks. lots to think about.

The second screenshot was a mistake (took it after tinkering around). My bad, thought I had removed it.

I wouldn't worry about players moving into the same space, they'll link up and provide strong combinations. I just look to avoid players making runs into the same channels to score goals since then they're competing to do the same thing. W/ a DLF, he's offering holdup play so having players play off him is great.

On 02/06/2023 at 20:38, djpdavey said:

Some ideas please. 

Have to say, I love that you're using a Pressing Forward on Defend, not a role you see used very often :thup:

I think the most straight forward change you could make, is simply swapping the two striker roles around

If you just look at the strikers and midfielders, then draw a line down the middle of them, on the left you have D - S - D, on the right A -S - A

Flipping the striker roles would help mix it up a bit and create a couple of different combinations