BPD - set a few things straight for me...

When I think of BPD i think of Rio Ferdinand, Pique etc.... I associate this with dribbling forward to trigger a press from the opposition and free up a team mate to receive the ball. This I believe to be the fact with FM's BPD but the whole defense splitting passes thing looks and sounds to me like a hoof like a No-nonsence CD. Am I completely getting this wrong here? 

BPD's have a wide range of passes. They should be composed with the ball on their feet. Should possess great first touch, composure, agility to beat the press. They can be a great attacking threat if you rely on overlapping wingback as BPDs will play a lot of long balls to stretch the field. 

• SI Staff

Your overall team strategy will have a big impact on how your BPD behaves. If you're telling the team to play much shorter passes, they're not going to launch long diagonals as often.

It's probably more accurate to say that your BPD is less afraid of taking risks on the ball - whether that be carrying the ball forward, attempting a long diagonal or attempting a line-splitting pass on the ground.

Whereas a no-nonsense CB is more risk averse, so when put under pressure they're more likely to take the safe option, which oftentimes can just be a clearance or hoofed ball forward.