FM25 Laptop

All comes down to this really - do you need to buy a new laptop now? If yes, the M2 series chips should be more than capable of running FM to a good standard for a number of years and you'll be getting a great laptop. If you can wait then Apple are due to refresh a number of the models with the M3 series chips next year but realistically, the chances of there being a huge jump between M2 and M3 are quite small. 

I use an M1 MacBook Pro with an M1 Max chip in it and FM flies on it. Can play more graphically intense games on it as well without an issue. 

It's all speculation at this point. What will be interesting is whether they're retaining the option of 2D for those with less powerful computers. I've asked the question and am waiting to see what they say. 

I think people are overreacting a bit about the bump up in specs. First of all no one knows what the minimum specs would be so there is no point speculating and secondly, most people won't need to go out to buy new hardware. If your laptop or pc is 5 to 8 years old you should be fine even 10 years old hardware would probably be fine unless you're one of those that like to load as many leagues as possible and if that's you you're not currently playing on a 20 years old hardware, you're probably on something a bit newer 

11 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

Miles has confirmed on Twitter 2D will remain, so hopefully that should mean the game will still be within reach for those with less powerful PCs. 

Yeah I saw that.... SI have always prioritised catering to the lower end spec audience, and i can't imagine they will stop now..

Unity is fairy flexible when it comes to requirements too, so i imagine we'll be fine and the bump up won't be a massive one

Nice question, @james2609. As a MacBook owner, I feel you. It actually depends on if FM25 is going to support Apple Silicon natively instead of Rosetta 2. If it natively supports, I think all M-chips would be more than enough - but just personal prediction based on the performance of other games based on Unity.

• 3 weeks later...
On 01/07/2023 at 17:41, talhak said:

Nice question, @james2609. As a MacBook owner, I feel you. It actually depends on if FM25 is going to support Apple Silicon natively instead of Rosetta 2. If it natively supports, I think all M-chips would be more than enough - but just personal prediction based on the performance of other games based on Unity.

Jacobson reports that Football Manager still works on Windows 7. FM25, however, will require slightly more recent PC rigs, although Jacobson still hopes to support machines that are 12 to 15 years old.

Source: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/why-it-took-20-years-to-start-making-a-true-football-manager-sequel

On 28/06/2023 at 16:12, james2609 said:

So what specs do people think FM25 will need. Was going to buy a new macbook but with the updated graphics, will it be better to wait?

I think you should wait since we don't know the details about FM25 yet. I have Mac Studio (M1 Max/32GB), I play with 50+ leagues loaded/170k+ players DB and I feel FM processing speed is fine. If I have to guess/suggest, I would say M3 will be far better CPU which might be released around FM25 and it should be more than okay for FM25.

15 hours ago, ElJuanvito said:

Good to know, thanks.

I'm also looking to buy, I'm aiming for something that can handle Cities Skylines 2 without much issue, so I guess that should also run FM25 comfortably.

I play exactly 2 games in my macOS, in my M1 Max Mac Studio - Cities Skylines, FM23/FM17. I have all the expansions/creator packs (no music packs) for CS1 and it breezes through in my Mac. I play both FM17/FM23 with mroe than 150k player DB and it also works fine without annoying slowness. I think any newer Macs will work without issues.

On 01/07/2023 at 10:41, talhak said:

FM23 runs native to Apple silicon. Thanks to SI, they updated the game exe in winter update and now it doesn't run in Rosetta. I have attached the screenshot here. I think it is fair to assume, future FMs will support Apple silicon natively too. 

Screenshot.png

6 hours ago, Arijit said:

FM23 runs native to Apple silicon. Thanks to SI, they updated the game exe in winter update and now it doesn't run in Rosetta. I have attached the screenshot here. I think it is fair to assume, future FMs will support Apple silicon natively too. 

Screenshot.png

Just as a side note, the native support has massively increased the speed of FM.  Iirc it was around 20% quicker

• SI Staff
On 01/07/2023 at 15:41, talhak said:

FM23 already supports apple sillicon!

• SI Staff
4 hours ago, talhak said:

Thanks for making it clear, @EdL, wonderful! :thup: Did the initial release version of FM23 support, too?

No it came out out in Update 1 before Christmas

7 minutes ago, EdL said:

No it came out out in Update 1 before Christmas

Oh, so, I thought that way. Great job by the great studio. 👏 With Unity, the future is even brighter. :cool: