Comprehensive highlights . . .

I have finally settled on this setting as my preferred way of watching matches. I think it is really good and a lot of the matches are very exciting. There seems to be a greater variety of things happening that you don't usually see in the shorter highlight packages, such as player injuries and very contested passages of play, where possession changes sides 3 or 4 times very quickly. It makes everything much more unpredictable (and nerve-wracking). I might be imagining things, but it also seems that there is a greater preponderance of long balls played as the game moves past the hour mark and players start to tire. This results in the game becoming much more stretched with more chances to score.

I do think the standard of football I am watching for the Vanarama National level in the game is probably equivalent to League 1 in real life though. I watched a couple of the real-life play off matches at the end of last season (Sheffield Wednesday v Barnsley and Stockport Country v Carlilse United) and they were both ferociously competitive matches, very physical with only intermittent periods of passing. Basically, if you took too long on the ball you got clobbered.

Just a couple of other things might be improved, in my opinion - there are too many offside sequences shown; and sometimes defenders running back towards their own goal line, with no real pressure on them from behind, seem to become enraged and hoof the ball straight into the crowd to concede a corner. Very odd.

Which setting do you use for matches?

6 hours ago, stockwellpete said:

Just a couple of other things might be improved, in my opinion - there are too many offside sequences shown; and sometimes defenders running back towards their own goal line, with no real pressure on them from behind, seem to become enraged and hoof the ball straight into the crowd to concede a corner. Very odd.

This is why I use Extended Highlights. Extended highlights also takes time to show the details of attacks and defending phases minus the standard ball jugglings between players which results to nothing. I tried comprehensive for 3 matches and then extended for 3 matches (in FM23), then settled with extended. Without any scientific proof/test data, I think if comprehensive shows 60-70% of the match, then extended shows around 40-50% of the match.

Edited by Arijit

5 hours ago, Arijit said:

This is why I use Extended Highlights. Extended highlights also takes time to show the details of attacks and defending phases minus the standard ball jugglings between players which results to nothing. I tried comprehensive for 3 matches and then extended for 3 matches (in FM23), then settled with extended. Without any scientific proof/test data, I think if comprehensive shows 60-70% of the match, then extended shows around 40-50% of the match.

I have just timed my last match - and from beginning to end (including half-time) it lasted around 30 minutes. So you are getting about  third of the match, I suppose. I find it helps me to get to know my players better, which is a key part of the game. It gives you clues about which player traits might be worth developing e.g. I have a forward who continually runs offside and so I need to think about coaching him to beat the offside trap. You also notice if your team suddenly seems to empty out in terms of energy, while the other side remains stronger - which suggests that collectively the stamina/work rate levels of the team is insufficient. 

I prefer comprehensive because you get to see every action that leads to a shot and more. If it’s a game I’m dominating and expecting to win and I want to go through it faster I’ll just go to key.

I agree that it shows too many offsides which is annoying 

5 hours ago, stockwellpete said:

I have just timed my last match - and from beginning to end (including half-time) it lasted around 30 minutes. So you are getting about  third of the match, I suppose. I find it helps me to get to know my players better, which is a key part of the game. It gives you clues about which player traits might be worth developing e.g. I have a forward who continually runs offside and so I need to think about coaching him to beat the offside trap. You also notice if your team suddenly seems to empty out in terms of energy, while the other side remains stronger - which suggests that collectively the stamina/work rate levels of the team is insufficient. 

Thanks for the timing. So, extended could be 10 mins of data. I agree that once you are starting with a team, comprehensive/extended gives you good idea what's working and what's not in your tactic. That is helping for noob like me. 

• 3 weeks later...

Although "Comprehensive Highlights" would be my preferred option for watching matches, I have now switched to "Extended Highlights" because it does not have many sequences that end with a whistle for offside. "Comprehensive Highlights" has far too many of these and it becomes very irritating after a while.