Acceleration

A simple question: Is acceleration linear or relative?

E.g. Two players with 15 acceleration, but different pace.  In a 10-yard sprint, would one be ahead of the other, or would they be level?

IMO- Acceleration is how fast they can get to top speed and pace would be that top speed.  Therefore, unless there is a significant difference between their top speeds, over a 10 yard sprint there should be very little difference.

1 hour ago, FrazT said:

IMO- Acceleration is how fast they can get to top speed and pace would be that top speed.  Therefore, unless there is a significant difference between their top speeds, over a 10 yard sprint there should be very little difference.

That was my assumption, but...

...I would then expect to see more players with very low pace having relatively high acceleration.  If two players ran at the same m/s rate until they hit their top speed, the player with a considerably lower top speed would reach it earlier (obviously in game situations there are other factors, such as agility, stamina, etc...).  Which leads me to think that acceleration would determine the curve, whilst top speed determines the plateau.  Sadly, I can't find a definitive answer on the topic, nor do I think there is a way to easily test within the game itself.

2 hours ago, GIMN said:

I would then expect to see more players with very low pace having relatively high acceleration

Why? Those 2 attributes function independent of eachother. You can have someone who's top speed is low but also have low acceleration.

Think about it this way acceleration is car X goes from 0 to 60 in 20 seconds while top speed is car X goes up to 200km/h 

3 hours ago, DarJ said:

Why? Those 2 attributes function independent of eachother. You can have someone who's top speed is low but also have low acceleration.

Think about it this way acceleration is car X goes from 0 to 60 in 20 seconds while top speed is car X goes up to 200km/h 

I literally explained why in the following sentence, but just to be clear I said "more players", not "all players" or "most players".  Of course there will be players with low speed and low acceleration.

image.png.06068818e5dac4584c1e4d202dbb4359.png

Apologies for the crude graph.

If, as per @FrazT's comment that "Acceleration is how fast they can get to top speed and pace would be that top speed" (a view that I believed, and is commonly suggested), then Orange would have the highest acceleration, then blue, then green; as that is the order they reach their top speed.  If it is linear, then orange and blue would have the same acceleration value, and green would be lower.

12 minutes ago, GIMN said:

If, as per @FrazT's comment that "Acceleration is how fast they can get to top speed and pace would be that top speed" (a view that I believed, and is commonly suggested), then Orange would have the highest acceleration, then blue, then green; as that is the order they reach their top speed.  If it is linear, then orange and blue would have the same acceleration value, and green would be lower.

Yes I agree with the representation of the graph