No Team Instructions

Hi all is it possible to be successful using no Team Instructions?

Is a tactic with suitable roles, duties and a set mentality with top players for the league you're playing in good enough to win non league and top tier leagues?

Edited by GS_Ball

I win leagues with "bad" teams and rarely use team instructions. The player roles and duties are the base of a tactic. In my experience, team instructions are for emphasis or for when you want your team to defend a certain special way, such as parking the bus or pushing up to pressure.

I swear this is not a brag, but I don't find it difficult to win the English National League South or North with the worst teams after minimal reinforcements by just playing 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1. This is without team instructions to start, but I do watch the matches in full and may introduce one or two instructions if I notice problems (mainly work ball into box if the team is being too wasteful, or I drop down the defensive lines if we are winning but struggling to defend).

I recall a video by Zealand in which he recommends not going crazy with team instructions.

I prefer less instructions and try not to click to change much during matches, only in critical phases when I want to keep a score or need to hurry up.

With a new save I'll tinker like crazy to find a suitable formation, roles, duties and TIs. Once I've settled on something I'll try to stop changing anything to get the familiarity up to max then leave it. If incoming players suit the tactic, I'll keep it ticking over for a few seasons.

It really depends on the quality of your team and the opposition team quality and tactics. I struggled for a few saves with careful mentality and only a few instructions. Then I restarted with gegenpress and all its instructions and boom its going so much better with more fun. (playing swedish team IFK Göteborg). Just an example.

I think a misconception is that no instructions is representative of a irl manager saying “just do what you want”, in reality 0 filled in team instructions are just as detailed as 35. E.g. tempo set to standard just means the manager saying “move the ball in this tempo”, changing it is just saying “move the ball in that tempo” instead.

so it is perfectly reasonable and realistic to be succesful with 0 instructions if the formation and roles make sense.

The fact that no instructions are mentioned in the tactical screen does NOT mean "there are no instructions". It just means "the basic, predefined instructions are used, in relation to the formation, roles and duties used". So the question is not "is it possible to be successful using no Team Instructions" but "is it possible to be successful using only those team instructions that are predefined for a certain configuration" ?
Answer, form my point of view : yes, it's possible. But there is another interesting question : is it possible to be successful using only the same combination of roles and duties all the time ? My opinion : no, this is not possible.

I did get promoted in the game using only the Preset tactics without changing them.

I used the fluid counter on games against the same division opponents where I was not favourite or away. The direct counter against teams in the cup from a higher division and Gengenpress when I was favourite at home. 

Incidentally, the game gave me a second chance when I lost 3-0 away to Coventry. I played 4-3-3 DM against their 3-4-3 wide with inverted attacking wingers. Their left winger scored two using the gap between my RB and RCB. The game crashed so I had to replay it. I chose a 3-4-2-1 formation and beat them 2-0 without changing Team Instructions so sometimes your defensive formation is just as important.

Thank you everyone. Got promoted from the Vanarama National League North using "no team instructions" (or as @GreenTriangle explained using only those team instructions that are predefined for a certain configuration) so it is definitely possible :D