Thank you.

A lot of people who know me never understand this, but FM has got me through some really tough times, this last 12 months in particular. It's one of the reasons I'm quite forgiving about the game's issues. So I completely understand the sentiment of the OP. 

Great post, mate. 

Thank you for writing this and gaining abit of breath at the same time.

as said above, you're never alone and there is always someone to talk to, even if ppl have to find me in the far side of the forum in the Skinning Hideout.

Stay strong and hope things stays as positive as possible.

Lovely post, thank you for sharing! It brought the memories back of playing computer games with my dad in the 80s. He's 77 now and has graduated to an Xbox! He continues to get so much joy out of gaming and it's great to hear to hear him talking so passionately about what he's currently playing.

Stay strong mate and welcome to the forum!

@AlanSOS  nicely put and  well played of you for sharing..  hope your journey out the far side of things is progressing..  if not, feel free to gimme a shout anytime.. unless you  manage Manure, then you can .... yeah..  :P 

Hi - Thats a really brave, open, and honest statement to make.  I expect there will many FM gamers that also suffer with mental health challenges currently or at various times of their lives and its fantastic and refreshing seeing a post like this which I think will help encourage more people to open up and speak on this subject. In fact about any challenges of any kind!

It got me through a period stuck at home following an ACL injury playing football that resulted in me having my left leg in a steel brace for 3 months. It also helped give me the drive to get back fit again to carry on playing about a year after the injury. My friends will remember me on crutches in the terrace, having my crutches checked for weapons watching Oxford v Pompey with a 4-1 lead to end up drawing the game 5-5.

Im almost 59 and followed the same root as you with a football game on an Acorn Electron, Kevin Toms of course, several others in between then the first Championship manager game released by Domark on the Amiga before moving to PC and then changing to Football Manager. I have bought every addition released.

I dont know how over the years I have managed to get away with spending so much time playing the game but clearly the graphics have much improved when a few years ago my other half came into my office hearing me cursing to say "Oh, didnt know you was watching live football"

Im pleased to hear you are in a much better way and hope this continues. Also good luck in your FM24 career!

Best Regards,

Warren

Glad you're here. I think I can safely say that for the most part this is a tremendous group of people who go out of their way to make everyone feel comfortable. As an American who came to this forum 20 years ago to learn about the beautiful game I was welcomed with open arms and have never felt degraded or unwelcome. I hope things are always getting better for you and know that there are plenty here who would gladly be there for you. 

Stay safe my friend.

Trevor L.

strange how many small clubs have got so much support, even long wiki-pages with stuff. Never heard of Chelmsford. But I suppose it's because fooball is a way of connecting to people, social rituals where we can meet and have something in common - not only with family but total strangers. 

9 hours ago, Ventricity said:

strange how many small clubs have got so much support, even long wiki-pages with stuff. Never heard of Chelmsford. But I suppose it's because fooball is a way of connecting to people, social rituals where we can meet and have something in common - not only with family but total strangers. 

Chelmsford City have had some very famous players play for them over the years including former Spurs and England forward Jimmy Greaves, former European Cup winner with Aston Villa in 1982 Nigel Spink, former Spurs winger and Leicester manager Peter Taylor as well as former Ipswich, Tottenham and Scotland forward Alan Brazil. They are the ones I can think of off the top of my head. In their heyday in the 1960’s and early 1970’s they would regularly attract 5,000 crowds to their old New Writtle Street stadium. In the early 1970’s they even played a then First Division (EPL) team Ipswich Town managed by future England and Barcelona boss Bobby Robson in the FA Cup. In front of a packed 18,000 capacity crowd City went down to a star-studded Ipswich team 2-1.

Sadly they have never played any higher than what would now be the fifth tier of English football. In the pre-Conference days City were regular applicants for election for promotion to the Football League, sadly their league rivals of Wimbledon, Cambridge United and Hereford United would usurp City and win that vote, even though on two of those occasions City actually won the league championship.

We can all but hope that one day City will gain their rightful place in the league.

Sorry to hear about your mishaps, and glad that you are feeling better.

Please let me share a different perspective with a question:

Have you discussed with your healthcare provider whether your PC gaming habits are beneficial to your mental health? 

I hope to be wrong in your case, but from my personal experience and medical literature, PC gaming and depression are somewhat correlated. Please watch out.

Peace.

Edited by phd_angel