(FM23) Is there a way to fix the non-EU glitch in the French Cup

TheBigPog

Essentially whenever you play as one of the French overseas territories and go into the French cup, as New Caledonia for example, it treats all your New Caledonian players as non-EU hence you are forced to play with grey players. Example I raised a few months ago here:

I have tried downloading a French database and taking that rule out however, it didn’t seem to work. I have a feeling this has been hard coded. 

Unless I can just “overwrite it” so it allows 99 non-EU players or something?

I’m trying to avoid resorting to adding New Caledonia to the EU, hence my eagerness to find a way around.

Edited by TheBigPog

21 hours ago, TheBigPog said:

Essentially whenever you play as one of the French overseas territories and go into the French cup, as New Caledonia for example, it treats all your New Caledonian players as non-EU hence you are forced to play with grey players. Example I raised a few months ago here:

I have tried downloading a French database and taking that rule out however, it didn’t seem to work. I have a feeling this has been hard coded. 

Unless I can just “overwrite it” so it allows 99 non-EU players or something?

I’m trying to avoid resorting to adding New Caledonia to the EU, hence my eagerness to find a way around.

The weird thing is that pretty much every New Caledonian player should have a second nationality set as French. So either it is ignored second nationalities (a bug) or something else is happening.

Aren't these territories set as Non-foreign in France? If not, do that change. 

Also, 

report it as a bug in the French database. These players are French for all intents and purposes. 

15 hours ago, themodelcitizen said:

Last resort - give all New Caledonian players French second nationality and take whatever "regions" are in New Caledonia, and put them in France. Make sure this isn't messing with newgen names and appearances first

They should already have that as they are French nationals, so if they haven't that is a database error as well.

The way I look at it, I almost get the impression the non EU rules are ignoring second nationalities?

I wonder if it's applying the non-EU rule on the basis of the club's "Nation" instead of the competition, so New Caledonia, which doesn't have any set? @TheBigPog this could be a long shot but try adding France to New Caledonia under "relationships" and "nations treated as EU" (also add the whole EU?)

I wonder too but I've wondered why the rule seems to work in some countries but not in others, particularly not in the Caribbean? Admittedly not in FM24. Could you compare the French non-EU rule applied on eg. Finnish or Dutch players? Additionally check if a non-EU rule would work in New Caledonia itself(and use eg. France). 

I hope it's not because something's hard coded. The non-foreign rule always works in my experience. 

Edited by Fredrik

2 hours ago, themodelcitizen said:

I wonder if it's applying the non-EU rule on the basis of the club's "Nation" instead of the competition, so New Caledonia, which doesn't have any set? @TheBigPog this could be a long shot but try adding France to New Caledonia under "relationships" and "nations treated as EU" (also add the whole EU?)

I’ll give that a go but I’m sceptical like you are. You would think under that logic, New Caledonians would have to be treated as EU hence I think the only solution is take out the rule entirely. 

Equally interestingly in my test simulations all the “New Caledonian regens” are practically just French with New Caledonian nationality. Papua New Guinea and Solomon Islands who unlike New Caledonia, are fully independent hence don’t have this issue. 

Wonder given this that the core issue is somewhat down to how France and it’s territories are linked in the code which is then confusing it when trying to apply that agreement to the nations themselves? 

Edited by TheBigPog

Haven't tested it, but could something like this work?

20231206111436_1.thumb.jpg.d5e2ad674b7e157dfe07d7e5385b02ff.jpg

Making it so that the non-EU players rule only applies to teams based in France. Could potentially add a separate rule that only applies to teams based in New Caledonia etc. if you still want some kind of rule for them.

On 06/12/2023 at 02:16, rusty217 said:

Haven't tested it, but could something like this work?

20231206111436_1.thumb.jpg.d5e2ad674b7e157dfe07d7e5385b02ff.jpg

Making it so that the non-EU players rule only applies to teams based in France. Could potentially add a separate rule that only applies to teams based in New Caledonia etc. if you still want some kind of rule for them.

Can confirm that this works. Test with my New Caledonia, Tahiti and Reunion databases. No foreign player restrictions for those teams, all French based clubs still have the 4 Non-EU rule in place

That's great. I guess it still does apply to them IRL, it's just that Réunionais players count as EU? I wonder if you could get at that by either going into France and adding all their territories to "nations treated as EU" or by going into the territories and adding the EU itself to "nations treated as EU"

Edited by themodelcitizen