Is it ok to have so many free player bargains?

I won the Super League with Istanbulspor in 4 rounds before the end of the season with transfer spending of 325K in, and 15M out. The Turkish Cup final is still in progress. I can sell half of my squad every transfer window and get free replacements. Doesn't it break immersion for you? I don't even have to focus on other parts of recruitment.

Football Manager 2024 12_4_2023 11_18_42 AM.png

Football Manager 2024 12_4_2023 11_18_31 AM.png

Is there any option in the game so we can suppress that amount of insane signings? I probably could load only Turkish leagues as active and have the smallest database of players possible, but that approach has some downsides. I would like a tick similar to attribute masking, saying "Limit unrealistic transfer opportunities" which would make agents more aware of player ability (thus demanding higher wages) and AI clubs more aggressively looking for profit signings.

7 minutes ago, st4lz said:

Is there any option in the game so we can suppress that amount of insane signings? I probably could load only Turkish leagues as active and have the smallest database of players possible, but that approach has some downsides. I would like a tick similar to attribute masking, saying "Limit unrealistic transfer opportunities" which would make agents more aware of player ability (thus demanding higher wages) and AI clubs more aggressively looking for profit signings.

Just set out your own rules and stick to them.

I had a look at how many entries they 22/23 had: There were quite a few...

However, they didn't put up any money for this and only received 3 million for the departures.

It is up to you to set your own goals and restrictions. If you play the way the game allows you to, nobody will blame you - except yourself, it seems ;)

Screenshot 2023-12-05 at 18-46-50 Istanbulspor - Alle Transfers.png

Edited by Conardo

2 hours ago, st4lz said:

I won the Super League with Istanbulspor in 4 rounds before the end of the season with transfer spending of 325K in, and 15M out. The Turkish Cup final is still in progress. I can sell half of my squad every transfer window and get free replacements. Doesn't it break immersion for you? I don't even have to focus on other parts of recruitment.

If it's breaking immersion for you....just don't do it!! 

Limit yourself to a realistic amount of signings. Don't use the player search function. Make it you can only sign players your scouts recommend. 

Honestly, the game is so open ended to play it however you like. People are always asking for arbitrary difficulty levels, but they are already there. 

You want it dead easy and immersion breaking? You can. You want a more organic, realistic challenge? You can. 

It's all there for you.  

48 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

If it's breaking immersion for you....just don't do it!! 

Limit yourself to a realistic amount of signings. Don't use the player search function. Make it you can only sign players your scouts recommend. 

Honestly, the game is so open ended to play it however you like. People are always asking for arbitrary difficulty levels, but they are already there. 

You want it dead easy and immersion breaking? You can. You want a more organic, realistic challenge? You can. 

It's all there for you.  

That's fine if you're the kind of person who loved  to play dress up and role play in your youth. FM shouldn't be a role playing game where you make up things in your head though. If a player is available to sign, you shouldn't have to worry about whether it's realistic or not. These kind of things should be linked to the reputation of the manager, the club, the competition etc. Transfer policy should be far more rigid, at least when a manager is new to a club, once they've been successful, perhaps they get more leeway. The number of signings, the cost, the amount of future fees and the positions should all be restricted. The game already provides this with the recruitment meetings. It should set you targets for players in and out and make you stick to them.

1 hour ago, busngabb said:

If a player is available to sign, you shouldn't have to worry about whether it's realistic or not

And you don't have to, that's the whole point. 

Transfer policy should be far more rigid, at least when a manager is new to a club, once they've been successful, perhaps they get more leeway. The number of signings, the cost, the amount of future fees and the positions should all be restricted.

Why? What managers in real life does this happen to? As long as you are sticking to the transfer and wage budget, what's the issue?

And there's already a mechanic in the game whereby the more successful you are, the more the board are lenient when you request additional funds, upgrading facilities, etc. 

The game has to be accessible to every type of play style. If you want to restrict yourself when it comes to transfers, it really isn't that difficult to do. 

17 minutes ago, turnip said:

You could argue that a lot of top-level managers don't sign players themselves; it's mostly the Dipshit Director of Football who does that. 

But yeah, this is a single-player game. Do whatever the hell you like. Who cares?

I'd prefer some kind of restriction on it. I always succumb to signing players I know are wonderkids in every position. So after two or three years I've got an entirely new 11 and I'm winning the league every year and have a stockpile of amazing talent waiting to replace them. It should really be a case of 'Everton's transfer budget is £20m this season. You must sign a striker as we only have one. There are two loan spaces in the squad available and you must raise £10m in player sales". That is how an Everton transfer window is. Not 'Your budget is £30m, you can sell players to get more and we don't care who you sign or whether you pay upfront or add to the £984m of transfer debt we already have.' You shouldn't be able to sign anyone you haven't thoroughly scouted, at least until you are very established and respected by the board either.

I could stop myself signing those players and sign average ones instead and finish 9th, but that's like when you let your kids beat you at sport. It kind of feels wrong.

At clubs with an interfeering owner like Chelsea, it should be 'Hi Mr Manager, here's Billy, our £128m signing from RB Leipzig. You don't want him? That's fine, we don't care, just make sure he plays every week. Good lad.'.

21 minutes ago, busngabb said:

I could stop myself signing those players and sign average ones instead and finish 9th, but that's like when you let your kids beat you at sport. It kind of feels wrong.

So, rather than you stopping yourself from doing it, you want the game to effectively do the exact same thing, presumably leading to the same outcome? Why would SI go to all that trouble to add in gamey restrictions like that when you can easily do it yourself? And if you don't have the willpower, then that's on you I'm afraid. 

then don't do it. Nobody forcing you.

it's like when you buy a book (that rectangular stuff with words inside) maybe it be a murder mystery you can go to the end chapter and read who is the killer people don't ask the book to ship the last chapter only AFTER they finish reading all the rest.

You can read the spoilers of any movie before you go to the cinema and so on... people need to re-learn to play. If something isn't fun or ruins your experience or immersion just DON'T DO IT is really not that hard. (and faster than waiting devs to fix it)

Edited by Ngoc

40 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

So, rather than you stopping yourself from doing it, you want the game to effectively do the exact same thing, presumably leading to the same outcome? Why would SI go to all that trouble to add in gamey restrictions like that when you can easily do it yourself? And if you don't have the willpower, then that's on you I'm afraid. 

Why are they gamey restrictions? Managers don't have anywhere near the level of autonomy in real life. Poch isn't signing anyone for example, I doubt he even knows they're happening until Chelsea tell him. Of course we want the game to be fun so it can't go that far, but there should be a more realistic representation of how clubs approach transfers. Most clubs will have instructions from the manager as to what he feels is needed and what the priorities should be (Like FM already has with the squad planner and recruitment focuses). They might even be allowed to suggest targets, with suggestions alsocoming from owners, scouts, Directors of Football if they exist as well. But they aren't deciding themselves, submitting offers, then negotiating contracts. They're just either getting the targets they've wanted, or not. There will also be constant disagreements over targets, suggestions of better value or more available alternatives and push back over how much is spent etc. It should be more like this in the game.

FM's squad building is just too open. You can change your entire squad for better players within two or three seasons easily and just overpower everything else the game has to offer. How many other games are there where you can basically do what you want and make it as easy as possible? Having a learning curve and difficulty level is a firmly established concept in gaming, it always has been.

38 minutes ago, busngabb said:

Why are they gamey restrictions? Managers don't have anywhere near the level of autonomy in real life. Poch isn't signing anyone for example, I doubt he even knows they're happening until Chelsea tell him. Of course we want the game to be fun so it can't go that far, but there should be a more realistic representation of how clubs approach transfers. Most clubs will have instructions from the manager as to what he feels is needed and what the priorities should be (Like FM already has with the squad planner and recruitment focuses). They might even be allowed to suggest targets, with suggestions alsocoming from owners, scouts, Directors of Football if they exist as well. But they aren't deciding themselves, submitting offers, then negotiating contracts. They're just either getting the targets they've wanted, or not. There will also be constant disagreements over targets, suggestions of better value or more available alternatives and push back over how much is spent etc. It should be more like this in the game.

FM's squad building is just too open. You can change your entire squad for better players within two or three seasons easily and just overpower everything else the game has to offer. How many other games are there where you can basically do what you want and make it as easy as possible? Having a learning curve and difficulty level is a firmly established concept in gaming, it always has been.

Yeah, your way of playing sounds boring and restrictive.  I want the game to be as open as possible, to play whatever way I want to.  If the game became super strict and only let you sign players that were deemed realistic, I'd probably lose a bit of interest.

6 hours ago, busngabb said:

That's fine if you're the kind of person who loved  to play dress up and role play in your youth. FM shouldn't be a role playing game where you make up things in your head though.

What? You really don't use your imagination. If I was like you, I'd have given up playing "football with spreadsheets" over 20 years ago.

FM's squad building is just too open. You can change your entire squad for better players within two or three seasons easily and just overpower everything else the game has to offer

Or you can leave all your transfers to your DoF.

Or you can only sign players you deem to be 'realistic'. 

Or you can restrict yourself to how many players you sign

Or you can only use scouts and not the player search or any other exploitative way to find players. 

Or you can sign who you want, when you want, and have a fun time. It's called choice and everyone has it. 

The beauty of FM is its open-endedness. There's no gamey 'difficulty levels', there's no senseless restrictions for the sake of it other than what occurs naturally (transfer budget, wage budget, etc), but on top of that, there's tons of different ways you can play it. There's even countless mods out there that make the game harder, from skins that hide player attributes, to mods that ramp up injuries, and loads in between. 

Now, this is not to say the game can't improve and become more naturally difficult, but as has been said countless times, the risk of doing that possibly outweighs the rewards. SI are a business after all. They actually do a great job in making sure the game caters for as many people as possible. 

4 hours ago, busngabb said:

The key word Is you can

a game would be restrictive if you have to change the all squad to win

but you can - “can” makes the game 

how can you not understand something so simple 

I find it hard to sell my "good" players as no one comes up with 100+ million dollar bid thus for the past 3 seasons with Wrexham I have limited myself to sign one player every season, usually a wonderkid.

It´s very tempting to go for more but I resist it.

I hear you guys, you can set your limits. I don't think that's enough in this case, as some conclude "I don't sign free players as that feels like an exploit and seems unrealistic". If you don't play like that, you probably don't realize the scale.

If a player is signed for free, and has a value of 5M, giving him 1M p/a wages and selling the year after is 400% interest. That's an incredible deal, to be honest, and that's fine. In the game, you can sign him for 160k p/a. If the agent demands a 9.5M release clause, you already don't even need to scout him. And that is all fine, it is the game, and you are playing well, having fun, etc. Then you sign 20 guys like him and it all becomes odd. What you do will all those 20 guys? Of course, you can't register them all, so you offer them out on loan. And what happens? Immediately, 5 clubs from his nation country England are interested in paying up all his wages and adding a 400k loan fee. On the same day, you signed him. Why weren't they interested in him before when could make a hefty profit by themselves? What was the agent doing when the guy was out of the club for half a year? There is no logic in it.

It is not about limits, as it is as broken as if we could not pay the transfer fees and say "Hey, it is a game, I always pay transfer fees because it feels realistic, but you do you'. We should have the opportunity to use free player signings and take the nice 400% profit but it doesn't have to be that broken.

5 hours ago, st4lz said:

Then you sign 20 guys like him

No. You just don't. 

The way I play the game is I only sign players who will either benefit my team now, or I think have enough potential to benefit in the long run. If one of those players get's snapped up by a bigger team for a profit, then I consider that a bonus. What I don't do is scour the player search screen and sign endless young kids on the cheap with 5 star potential with the express goal of selling them all for insane profit, so I can then hoover up all the best players and become unbeatable after a couple of seasons. If you want to play that way - fine, it's your game, but you've essentially clicked on 'easy mode'. 

I get much more satisfaction trying to play the game 'organically', and I feel a sense of achievement if I get any success (it's rare!!) - But as has been said countless times now, that's the whole beauty of FM - The game is what you make it. Don't whine that it's possible to sign 100 players for big profits. If you're unhappy with that mechanic, just don't do it. It can't be more simple than this. 

That mentality is what ruined the online games because people HAVE to do what is "best" Even if ruins the game to stay competitive you have to or you are left out of the "end game" (op-built, cheating, must-have stuff must-do stuff and so on...)

I can see it being a problem if you play FM24 online with friends and YOU DO IT. You will ruin the experience of all other players and yes if this was an online game FM24 should absolutely fix it. Because one jerk starts doing it everybody has to do it. that's the bane of the online gaming community one jerk can ruin the game for millions of people so the software house HAS TO fix those types of things right away. This is where it shows you are not a good player in my opinion the fact you brought up this as a problem in a single-player game.

In a single-player game, if something is broken JUST DON'T USE IT and try to have fun instead of trying in every way to break the game.

Edited by Ngoc

29 minutes ago, Ngoc said:

This is where it shows you are not a good player in my opinion the fact you brought up this as a problem in a single-player game.

I am neither a good player nor care what you think about how good I am. If I would post the same evidence but from an online save, would it make any difference? Weird.

I am exploring this game in multiple ways and with this save I was testing the functionality of the web application I wrote: https://moneyballfm.com/. I love this game because I can easily export the data and analyze it with code. If I play attributeless with my own match performance stats ranking algo in Python am I still a noob?

What other game functionalities should I JUST NOT USE because they are broken?

it would make a difference if you were here to enjoy you would know why it's weird you don't understand 

from the post you can read in this thread many many understand so maybe grow up and try to "care" to play it for fun and not to break it.

it's not cool stuff that you don't care if you ruin your own fun is just moronic in my eyes.

Edited by Ngoc

17 hours ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

Maybe that's my fault, but I didn't come here to whine or to rant. I found it interesting, as I wasn't aware you could leverage it to that extent. I thought it would be a nice gameplay scenario, take the free players and sell them no matter how well they play. My bad.

My idea is, to mitigate that issue there could be managers in the game who have a trait like `is looking for bargains in the transfer market`. They could look less at reputation and more at current ability when looking for transfer targets. They could be more frequently hired by clubs with bad finances. If each of them would take 1 bargain from their local market, there wouldn't be too many left for the player. The players would spread to many different clubs, so there would be no single winner. I don't think that's an unreasonable amount of dev work. We might have next Brighton-like clubs emerging during the saves, which might be a nice byproduct.

6 minutes ago, st4lz said:

Maybe that's my fault, but I didn't come here to whine or to rant. I found it interesting, as I wasn't aware you could leverage it to that extent. I thought it would be a nice gameplay scenario, take the free players and sell them no matter how well they play. My bad.

My idea is, to mitigate that issue there could be managers in the game who have a trait like `is looking for bargains in the transfer market`. They could look less at reputation and more at current ability when looking for transfer targets. They could be more frequently hired by clubs with bad finances. If each of them would take 1 bargain from their local market, there wouldn't be too many left for the player. The players would spread to many different clubs, so there would be no single winner. I don't think that's an unreasonable amount of dev work. We might have next Brighton-like clubs emerging during the saves, which might be a nice byproduct.

That's a decent shout, and is in the game, albeit badly implemented. There's 'club DNA' you get it in your save when the board sets out objectives. It would be great if SI would make that more proactive or prominent in AI clubs so that the board has its objectives and the manager has his traits.

Re. the first para, one rule I see certain YouTubers have is if a clubs comes in with a reasonable offer, you MUST sell however attached you are to the player you nurtured  from nothing.

3 hours ago, st4lz said:

It's a game, play however you want 

6 hours ago, st4lz said:

What other game functionalities should I JUST NOT USE because they are broken?

Hang on, you think this part of the game is 'broken', yet you still happily exploit a 'broken' part of the game, whilst at the same time going into a hissy fit about it being 'broken' in the first place?

Spoiler alert - it's not 'broken', it's by design to let people have fun with the game. 

if you knew how to play for fun you would figure out which part you have to avoid why ask us? Are you that ignorant and clueless about what makes your game fun? I see why you want devs to spoonfeed you every step of the way. 

Edited by Ngoc

I won the Turkish Cup as well!

The game was so even, Trabzonspor was incredible at every position, I watched the full highlights and couldn't find the weak spot on the pitch. We couldn't advance in wide areas as their full-backs effectively won the ball back. We didn't have a numerical advantage in the center so they won the possession battle, but my boys were incredible in their press and denied so many chances. However, their manager has a `Use non-first team goalkeeper for domestic cup games` trait and put a guy with no sharpness and just 11 jumping reach on goal. Once I noticed that when setting opposition instructions, I immediately went to an excellent brand-new set piece creator and prioritized far post deliveries. That worked magic, as we scored 2 corner headers and 1 close to corner wide free-kick header. That was a brilliant performance, and even though we were a bit weaker team, we managed to lift another trophy this season, I almost see them both standing close to my desk.

My following question is, is that amount of corner goals realistic to you? As corners are OP as well, do you guys set the worst corner taker and order your best aerial threats to Stay Back? I am curious what is your stance on that, as I feel guilty now that my obsessive drive for victory made me overuse yet another exploit.

Football Manager 2024 12_7_2023 6_07_57 PM.png

No, we use the brain if you can do that you don't need to set corners to horribly. maybe try to use the brain instead of asking stupid questions and find a way to have realistic gameplay by yourself! That would be the real victory perhaps.

Edited by Ngoc

1 hour ago, st4lz said:

My following question is, is that amount of corner goals realistic to you? As corners are OP as well, do you guys set the worst corner taker and order your best aerial threats to Stay Back? 

Wish they were OP, I'd maybe score some more...

image.png.96d1c2492e1ad2c2b1e1c8c22d8347d4.png

Sure, I know people don't ask and they stop playing, as the game is not enough challenge to them. I do still have fun, but I am worried the parts I like the most are becoming trivial.

I am aware there are other threads about difficulty and it already became kind of a flamewar here, as some people are so deeply in love with the game they can't see its flaws.

I came here to initiate a discussion about the reasons and possible ways to change that free player abundance, as there are people here with huge knowledge about game internals, but for some reason, they didn't get interested in the topic. Some people just insult or appear aggressive.

I remember at around 00' you could shoot overhead kick goals in FIFA from the middle of the pitch, and I didn't touch the series in around 10 years after I saw that. Of course, you can always decide not to do that, but at some level of absurdity, people will be out.

For me, Scouting Assignments are cutting half of the fun. I liked the spreadsheet game and spending hours on the Player Search screen, looking for players who stand out. I'd rather have the base game difficult and additional tools like Editor or apps for players looking for instant gratification, rather than role-playing your difficulty with imagination.

Short answer: yes, I am still having fun, but it's a different kind of fun I am looking for.

Having my back line in the smallest budget Turkish Super League club consisting of 3 British players worth 25 million who came here for free is completely crazy. Who am I going to sign for free next season, Haaland?

I don't know what you guys don't understand when you are saying why I ask.

1 hour ago, st4lz said:

I don't know what you guys don't understand when you are saying why I ask.

The answer is too simple to warrant a long discussion, which is why posters are getting bored with you.

Just set your own rules. Look, read this - it's a ton of fun, as are loads of Challenges in the forum dedicated to it:

https://community.sigames.com/forums/topic/580149-thorfinn-–-a-sporting-and-social-revolution-begins/

Use your imagination and make your own version of FM reality. I do me, you do you, we all have FM fun in our own ways. Doesn't matter what anyone else does.

Edited by phnompenhandy

10 hours ago, st4lz said:

For me, Scouting Assignments are cutting half of the fun. I liked the spreadsheet game and spending hours on the Player Search screen, looking for players who stand out.

Well, there's your first problem. You're already cutting out half the challenge of the game by having every player available to you rather than rely on your scouts to find them. 

10 hours ago, st4lz said:

Having my back line in the smallest budget Turkish Super League club consisting of 3 British players worth 25 million who came here for free is completely crazy.

I'm not sure if you're just trolling us or yourself here, but you must be aware you didn't have to sign them. And given the location and budget, it would be a stretch to imagine your scouts found them, so you've probably just scrolled through the database looking for high potential players. What 'challenge' were you expecting exactly using that method? That's basically playing the game on 'easy mode'. 

4 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

Well, there's your first problem. You're already cutting out half the challenge of the game by having every player available to you rather than rely on your scouts to find them. 

not only all player available but obviously all stats visible 90% of the difficulty gone yeah the game is easy for cheater the game let you do it if you want to have a "Easier" experience because the game is a sandbox but you use all the easy option and then call it easy what kind of moronic attitude is that.

19 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

I'm not sure if you're just trolling us or yourself here, but you must be aware you didn't have to sign them. And given the location and budget, it would be a stretch to imagine your scouts found them, so you've probably just scrolled through the database looking for high potential players. What 'challenge' were you expecting exactly using that method? That's basically playing the game on 'easy mode'. 

Scrolled through database? High potential? 

I was looking at player search for players interested in joining and without a club. You only can see players that your club has knowledge of. Attribute masking still applies. Yes, I picked the ones I thought were best with reasonable wage expectations.

I know nothing about scrolling through the database. The potential is hidden in game, you cannot see it in player search or export it.

What should I do? Should I only sign the worst players? Or play without a goalkeeper to make things super hard?

When you can sign Haaland you just go to Championship and sign some average 32 yo to make things fun for you? Where you can see fun with that? People play games to win, when winning is too easy the game is boring.

My scouts should find them? Maybe I should also make my assistant set tactics and training in case I do it myself better so you could call it an "easy mode"?

12 hours ago, st4lz said:

I liked the spreadsheet game and spending hours on the Player Search screen, looking for players who stand out.

1 hour ago, st4lz said:

I know nothing about scrolling through the database.

Aye ok then. 

1 hour ago, st4lz said:

My scouts should find them?

Yes, that's generally how it works at football clubs. SI give you the freedom not to do this and go and find players yourself, and if that's how you enjoying playing the game, then crack on. But stop whining about it being too easy to find players when this is the method you use. 

1 hour ago, st4lz said:

What should I do? Should I only sign the worst players? Or play without a goalkeeper to make things super hard?

Grow up. You're the one moaning about how easy it is to find players. Everyone's been telling you the various ways this can be made more challenging, but you're not interested. You just want SI to fix things so that it matches your exact requirements. 

He actually want si to force everybody to do just one way that works for him is selfish and moronic limiting stuff just to please one player that feels the game should only cater him 

how about give yourself a rule don’t buy player that cost 0 unless your team is extremely struggling with money is it to hard to invent something like that? That would fix your main post in 1 second and a you don’t have to wait si fix it 

Edited by Ngoc

• 1 month later...

Update after more testing

The issue with too many players available on a free transfer that are easy to sign (low reputation, no playing history) happens when:

1. FM23 > FM24 save conversion

2. New leagues were added

I played another season without adding new leagues, the number of free transfer players and their wage demands are reasonable.

There might be some glitch when the league is deactivated on FM23, the save is transferred to FM24 and a new league is activated. There might be players who are dropped clubless without a history, as their FM23/FM24 history doesn't align. Or the club releases them as they don't have enough PA (it doesn't explain no club history).