Germany 2nd team issue

I'm playing as VfL Osnabruck in Germany and have achieved promotion to the Bundesliga 2.

The club then asked if I wanted to set up a 2nd team (VfL Osnabruck II), which I agreed to.

It is regularly recommended that I promote members of the U19 squad into the new VfL Osnabruck II squad to continue their development.  However, the 2nd team can only hire part-time staff.

Wouldn't it negatively affect youth development as, apart from being a part time squad, there are less staff available and they are nowhere near as good as the U19 coaches the youngsters are leaving behind?

Can anyone shed light if this is how Germany's second teams are intended to work in FM24?

Edited by Mystique

Posted (edited)

Longstanding grey area. For German 2nd teams to have any valence in the game, they have to be playing in a league that you have enabled in your setup. How many divisions below 2nd have you enabled?

As a practical thing, it's best to just say no. I had this offer a couple of FMs ago (playing a German side, not Osnabruck, but don't remember which exactly), and it caused no end of annoyance. E.g. getting weekly training reports for the 2nd team that I had not requested.

Edited by du Garbandier

Posted (edited)
On 01/05/2024 at 08:51, du Garbandier said:

Longstanding grey area. For German 2nd teams to have any valence in the game, they have to be playing in a league that you have enabled in your setup. How many divisions below 2nd have you enabled?

As a practical thing, it's best to just say no. I had this offer a couple of FMs ago (playing a German side, not Osnabruck, but don't remember which exactly), and it caused no end of annoyance. E.g. getting weekly training reports for the 2nd team that I had not requested.

Thanks for confirming there are issues (I always presume that I'm missing something obvious.)

So far, I have only used the 2nd team as a place to put a couple of influential first team players who were complaining about wages and causing unrest among the squad.  I have found that sticking them in the second team then quickly releasing them on a free, or selling very cheap, does not cause any negative feedback from the board or the fans.  Also, the squad have forgotten they ever had concerns and are happy again.   So that's a good use for the 2nd team at least.

Edited by Mystique

It's a real bugbear of mine this. Not sure why. Every edition the first thing I do is head to the youth section and see if these sort of things have been fixed or at least improved on. It's rarely changed. The only success I've had using this system is to plan ahead and use the editor to swap out a team in the 3. Liga for the B team of the club I plan to use. It's actually incredibly fun like this. Just make sure they don't get relegated. For context, in my current Greuther Furth save I am 14 seasons in and my B Team are still not in a playable league despite seemingly having good seasons 'under the hood'. Improvements in this area are absolutely top of my wishlist for 25.