Euro 2024 Squad Announcements

Rob1981

He's French so more over this than me, but I'd be really surprised if he starts Kanté over Rabiot, Tchouaméni or Camavinga, who all in varying combinations got them to a World Cup final two years ago.

Especially a Kanté who has just spent a year meandering in a **** league 

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I've finally updated the OP with all the final squads :thup:

Thank you Wikipedia!

Loads of changes... someone who is more across the club football can tell me which of these are the biggest misses.

ALBANIA: 27-man squad cut to 26.  Fourth goalkeeper Simon Simoni was the player left out.

AUSTRIA: 29-man squad cut to 26.  Tobias Lawal, Stefan Lainer and Thierno Ballo were all dropped.

CZECH REPUBLIC: Michal Sadílek has withdrawn with a freak injury, as per the other thread.  He has not yet been replaced, but the Czechs could still draft in a replacement before their first game.

ENGLAND: 33-man squad cut to 26.  James Maddison, Curtis Jones, Jarell Quansah, James Trafford, Jarrad Branthwaite, Harry Maguire and Jack Grealish were the players dropped.

GERMANY: 27-man squad cut to 26.  Fourth goalkeeper Alexander Nübel was the player dropped.

ITALY: 30-man squad cut to 26.  Francesco Acerbi pulled out with an injury and Ivan Provedel, Samuele Ricci and Riccardo Orsolini were cut.  Giorgio Scalvini was also forced to withdraw due to injury and was replaced by Federico Gatti.

POLAND: 29-man squad cut to 26.  Goalkeeper Mateusz Kochalski replaced the injured Oliwier Zych during the training camp, but was then dropped again.  Jakub Kałuziński was also drafted into the preliminary squad but then left out of the final 26.  The other players cut were Paweł Bochniewicz and Arkadiusz Milik.

PORTUGAL had already named their final 26, but Otávio has pulled out with an injury and has been replaced by Matheus Nunes.

ROMANIA: 28-man squad cut to 26.  Fourth goalkeeper Răzvan Sava and midfielder Constantin Grameni were the players dropped.

SCOTLAND: Lyndon Dykes and Ben Doak both withdrew with injury and Tommy Conway and Lewis Morgan were drafted in as replacements.  The squad was then cut from 28 to 26 with Craig Gordon and John Souttar missing out.

SERBIA: 35-man squad cut to 26.  Aleksandar Jovanović, Strahinja Eraković, Jan-Carlo Simić, Aleksandar Ćirković, Matija Gluščević, Nemanja Radonjić, Saša Zdjelar, Samed Baždar and Mihailo Ivanović all missed out.

SLOVAKIA: 32-man squad cut to 26.  Dominik Takáč, Michal Tomič, Matúš Kmeť, Jakub Kadák, Dominik Hollý and Róbert Polievka were dropped.

SLOVENIA: 30-man squad cut to 26.  Matevž Vidovšek, Žan Zaletel, Luka Zahović and Miha Zajc were the players cut.

SPAIN: 29-man squad cut to 26.  Pau Cubarsí, Aleix García and Marcos Llorente were left out.

SWITZERLAND: 38-man squad cut to 26.  Aurèle Amenda, Ulisses Garcia, Joël Monteiro, Bryan Okoh and Bećir Omeragić were dropped on 29/05/2024.  Kevin Mbabu, Filip Ugrinic, Albian Hajdari, Uran Bislimi, Pascal Loretz and Marvin Keller were cut on 05/06/2024.  Andi Zeqiri was the last played left out when the squad was finalised.

TURKEY: Çağlar Söyüncü, Enes Ünal and Ozan Kabak all withdrew with injuries, leaving 32 players from a preliminary squad of 35.  Abdülkadir Ömür, Cenk Özkacar, Berat Özdemir, Oğuz Aydın, Can Uzun and Doğan Alemdar were the other players left out when the squad was cut to 26.

Another blow for the Dutch... Teun Koopmeiners has dropped out.

No replacement announced yet, but they could draft someone in up until 2pm Saturday if their first game isn't until 2pm Sunday.  That said, maybe they won't bother if the rest of the squad has already travelled out to Germany.

Emre Can brought into the Germany squad. 

Am I the only one who thinks it's mad that he's still only 30 years old? Feels like he's been around for decades. 

12 minutes ago, Bliss Seeker said:

Am I the only one who thinks it's mad that he's still only 30 years old? Feels like he's been around for decades. 

Only 30! Can you believe it!!

4 hours ago, Bliss Seeker said:

Still doesn't top Xherdan Shaqiri only being 32. I thought he was like 30 when he left Stoke

Koeman: No no, I don't need a leftback.
FdJ drops out.
Koeman: Maatsen mate, I suddenly found a spot for you in the NT!
Koeman: No, Zirkzee isn't fit, so he's staying home.
Brobbey gets a minor injury during training.
Koeman: Zirkzee mate, so uhmm, wanna like join the Euro squad?

Koeman and his decision making is so nonsensical. :D

Anyway, the two names everyone didn't understand as to why they were left out are now part of the squad. Why? Because 2 midfielders dropped out. :lol:

14 minutes ago, Freakiie said:

Koeman: No no, I don't need a leftback.
FdJ drops out.
Koeman: Maatsen mate, I suddenly found a spot for you in the NT!
Koeman: No, Zirkzee isn't fit, so he's staying home.
Brobbey gets a minor injury during training.
Koeman: Zirkzee mate, so uhmm, wanna like join the Euro squad?

Koeman and his decision making is so nonsensical. :D

Anyway, the two names everyone didn't understand as to why they were left out are now part of the squad. Why? Because 2 midfielders dropped out. :lol:

That midfield looks really poor now.

Don't forget De Roon is also missing. Wouldn't have been a starter, but a great defensive midfielder to have off the bench.

Who's even supposed to start? Vermeen, Schouten, Reijnders and Gravenberch are the only actual midfielders left in the squad.

3-4-3 with Simons and Frimpong behind Depay seems like the most reasonable option.

3 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

That midfield looks really poor now.

Don't forget De Roon is also missing. Wouldn't have been a starter, but a great defensive midfielder to have off the bench.

Who's even supposed to start? Vermeen, Schouten, Reijnders and Gravenberch are the only actual midfielders left in the squad.

3-4-3 with Simons and Frimpong behind Depay seems like the most reasonable option.

Well if you want to use a back three you really need Maatsen, unless you want to run Frimpong as LWB where he has never played. As for the midfield, yeah selection is thin, but the Netherlands has no real alternatives left. At some point you can't outpace the injuries. Timber and Wieffer aren't fit either who would be the closest to the NT. Especially regarding DMs there is basically only Schouten left and then you'd start looking at names like Rosario or Matusiwa. Admittedly, Matusiwa might not even be that bad of a call, but how is Koeman supposed to know a player that's not playing in the Eredivise?

Guessing in a 3-4-3 you'd get a Schouten/Reijnders midfield pairing? Simons in front of them and then Depay/Zirkzee as strikers now that Zirkzee is called up? Although that'd leave out best buddy Wijnaldum, so maybe he plays instead of Simons. :D

19 minutes ago, Freakiie said:

Well if you want to use a back three you really need Maatsen, unless you want to run Frimpong as LWB where he has never played. As for the midfield, yeah selection is thin, but the Netherlands has no real alternatives left. At some point you can't outpace the injuries. Timber and Wieffer aren't fit either who would be the closest to the NT. Especially regarding DMs there is basically only Schouten left and then you'd start looking at names like Rosario or Matusiwa. Admittedly, Matusiwa might not even be that bad of a call, but how is Koeman supposed to know a player that's not playing in the Eredivise?

Guessing in a 3-4-3 you'd get a Schouten/Reijnders midfield pairing? Simons in front of them and then Depay/Zirkzee as strikers now that Zirkzee is called up? Although that'd leave out best buddy Wijnaldum, so maybe he plays instead of Simons. :D

I caught some minutes of Iceland game and that definitely wasn't a traditional four man defense, even though team list on livescore suggested so.

Dumfries was in his usual role of constantly attacking the box, way higher than Ake. They just kind of shifted into back three.

Idk if Reijnders can be the second most defensive midfield against serious opposition.

Kind of a dire situation out of nowhere. Midfield looked stacked.

Can Geertruida play as DM, on FM24 he's natural. :D

6 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

I caught some minutes of Iceland game and that definitely wasn't a traditional four man defense, even though team list on livescore suggested so.

Dumfries was in his usual role of constantly attacking the box, way higher than Ake. They just kind of shifted into back three.

Idk if Reijnders can be the second most defensive midfield against serious opposition.

Kind of a dire situation out of nowhere. Midfield looked stacked.

Can Geertruida play as DM, on FM24 he's natural. :D

20 DM games in his career apparently, 8 of those for the senior team. Not sure if that's the greatest idea. :D

Didn't watch the Iceland game, but interesting to see that Koeman finally changed Ake to play the way he does for City. Last time I caught Ake on LB for the Dutch NT Koeman was still trying to make him work like a regular FB. :lol:

With a back three you can obviously afford to be a bit more adventurous in midfield, so I think Reijnders could work, although Gravenberch I suppose does offer a bit more defensively. If you just want to wall it out though, might as well stick de Ligt there.

The Czechs have called up Petr Ševčík to replace the guy that fell off his bike.  That's as well as Joshua Zirkzee replacing Teun Koopmeiners in the Dutch squad, and Emre Can coming in for Germany after Aleksandar Pavlović was injured.

Apart from that, I think everyone else is still in one piece.

1 hour ago, Rob1981 said:

Apart from that, I think everyone else is still in one piece.

Lewandowski's injury looks to be serious, but they obviously won't replace him.

Laporte got injured and will miss Croatia match on Saturday, but again, there won't be a replacement.