Czech player Michal Sadilek suffers freak injury. Out of the Euros.

av3ry

Oh dear. Has to be one of the worst ways to miss a tournament.

Sorry for the thread, I couldnt find a suitable place to put this.

Still feels like it can't compare with cricketers. Stokes' locker punch, Archer's dropped fish tank, Roy hitting himself in the face with a thrown bat, not to mention a few injuries playing warmup football and McGrath stepping on a ball and ending up in hospital back in the day...

12 minutes ago, enigmatic said:

Still feels like it can't compare with cricketers. Stokes' locker punch, Archer's dropped fish tank, Roy hitting himself in the face with a thrown bat, not to mention a few injuries playing warmup football and McGrath stepping on a ball and ending up in hospital back in the day...

Made me think of Santiago Canizares missing the 2002 World Cup after dropping a bottle of aftershave and severing a tendon in his big toe.

16 minutes ago, sebsy said:

Made me think of Santiago Canizares missing the 2002 World Cup after dropping a bottle of aftershave and severing a tendon in his big toe.

That one is always my first thought when something like this happens.

49 minutes ago, enigmatic said:

There's going to be so many. Maxwell broke his leg after his friend fell on him and sustained a concussion during the World Cup after falling off a golf cart. :D

Hasan Ali straining his shoulder while celebrating a wicket, Bairstow at a golf course, Foakes slipping on a sock...

12 minutes ago, Darius1998 said:

There's going to be so many. Maxwell broke his leg after his friend fell on him and sustained a concussion during the World Cup after falling off a golf cart. :D

Hasan Ali straining his shoulder while celebrating a wicket, Bairstow at a golf course, Foakes slipping on a sock...

Back in 1967, this happened to Lamza, one of the greats of Croatian football. Or shall I say, he did it to himself:

After the 1967 Inter-Cities Fairs Cup semifinal against Eintracht Frankfurt, when Dinamo managed to overturn their first leg defeat in Germany (3–0) with a home victory (4–0) after extra time, he and his teammates went on to celebrate the victory to a luxury restaurant, that lasted late into the night. The next morning Lamza woke up early in the morning in one of the rooms upstairs and found a bar in the lobby below that was empty and started drinking. When other teammates and guest started to wake up they found Lamza drunk in the lobby and one of Dinamo's officials (Karlo Žagar) ordered the waitress to take him back to his room so others would not see him in the state he was in. She has done just that and took Lamza to his bed and then locked the door of the room. Later, when Lamza woke up, he was still intoxicated and found the doors locked and went into the balcony where he fell down, hitting the chair with his shoulder and a concrete floor with the right side of his head. He was immediately rushed to a hospital where he stayed for 40 days and was diagnosed with a severe head fracture and most importantly the damage to his nerve center that hurt his center of balance, which subsequently affected his career as Lamza never demonstrated the level of football he did prior to the accident.He followed the final of the 1967 Inter-Cities Fairs Cup (won by Dinamo) by a radio broadcast from a hospital room in Bled.

Calmest Slavic victory celebration.

Posted (edited)

There was a Liverpool goalie too. Didn't he have an accident ironing clothes, which effectively ended his career?

In the back of my mind I think he may have been Danish.

Michael Stensgaard. Just checked.

Edited by mrw072

Alright move on, new information has come out and this was simply dumb players being dumb.

Rather than a bike incident during rehab (I was kinda wondering how you'd slice your leg up so badly falling from a bike in the first place), he apparently went to drive a trike or something like that off a mountain with some team mates on their day off and crashed, which suddenly makes the 65 stitches he had to get make a lot more sense. :D