Game 1: Germany vs Scotland from the Fußball Arena München, LIVE on ITV1 kick off 8pm

What will be the result?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. What will be the result?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 14/06/24 at 18:59

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Vynal Seven said:

Gundogan is so bloody lucky. That challenge looks worse every time you see it. 

I saw a penalty "challenge" like that in a random Dutch league game years ago but we have a new champion. Holy smokes, I felt a pang in my chest watching it back.

Hard to defend the Porteous tackle, but the context is important. If that’s a lunge on the halfway line when the ball is moving around at a steady pace… it’s horrific. But if the ball is bouncing around two yards from goal and people are frantically just throwing their bodies everywhere to try and make a block, I don’t believe there’s any intent there. Again, without VAR that never gets given. But as soon as you review and freeze frame and see the angle of studs on the ankle it’s only going one way.

Just now, Rob1981 said:

Hard to defend the Porteous tackle, but the context is important. If that’s a lunge on the halfway line when the ball is moving around at a steady pace… it’s horrific. But if the ball is bouncing around two yards from goal and people are frantically just throwing their bodies everywhere to try and make a block, I don’t believe there’s any intent there. Again, without VAR that never gets given. But as soon as you review and freeze frame and see the angle of studs on the ankle it’s only going one way.

To be honest, I think a lot of refs give that immediately with or without VAR.

1 minute ago, Rob1981 said:

It's always going to be dangerous play though isn't it, surely

3 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

If a players natural reaction to a bouncing ball infront of goal is to jump into it with 2 feet off the ground, I'd suggest they shouldn't be allowed near a football pitch 

1 minute ago, Haguey said:

It's always going to be dangerous play though isn't it, surely

I mean it is dangerous play, but when there are bodies everywhere and the ball is bouncing around so near the goal… in a pre-VAR world probably gets missed by the ref 4 times out of 5

Just now, Rob1981 said:

I mean it is dangerous play, but when there are bodies everywhere and the ball is bouncing around so near the goal… in a pre-VAR world probably gets missed by the ref 4 times out of 5

If he really cared about his country he would have gone head first at ground level, like Terry did imo

10 minutes ago, Haguey said:

If he really cared about his country he would have gone head first at ground level, like Terry did imo

Phil Jones would have gone in headfirst and put it into his own net!

Do actually understand the challenge because if you're hopelessly slow on your feet and they're effortlessly finding space to get shots in you've got to be desperate to preemptively slide in, but it's the penaltiest of possible penalties. VAR did good...

Has the German media got a name for the new Gross/Kroos combo? Can't really imagine tricker midfield opponents to low block against than them plus Gundogan, Musiala and Wirtz. Sure, if you had 11 half decent players on the pitch you might be able you pass through them, but you can be damn sure that no matter how many people you stick behind the ball they'll pass through you.

Edited by enigmatic