Game 1: Germany vs Scotland from the Fußball Arena München, LIVE on ITV1 kick off 8pm

What will be the result?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. What will be the result?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 14/06/24 at 18:59

4 minutes ago, Orzelek said:

The Danish commentator just told that this was the first time ever that Scotland scored a goal in an international tournament, where the goalscorer didn't have the "Mc"-prefix in his surname :D 

Shame he's wrong

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Orzelek said:

The Danish commentator just told that this was the first time ever that Scotland scored a goal in an international tournament, where the goalscorer didn't have the "Mc"-prefix in his surname :D 

Correct for the Euros, not WC.

2 minutes ago, Orzelek said:

Archie Gemmill says hi

Is it me or is it a bit stupid to start prancing around with the offspring on the field after just one game?

Almost the complete performance that from the Germans. In complete control right from KO. Scotland utterly dreadful. Their GK is abysmal, should've saved two of the goals. Sane was really poor when he came on. 

I thought Scotland might at least put up a fight with it being a "free go" thing as the other two matches are more important but from about 5 minutes on, the writing was on the wall and we were still 0-0 at that point.  Players ball watching, not pressing, letting players like Kroos who still is dominating games at his age without any sort of sweat.  I did think Musiala, Wirtz and Havertz were going to be players Germany relied on and Scotland's game plan obviously didn't mention them because they had the freedom of the park almost every time.  I'm not saying do what happened at the penalty but at least let the players know you are there, put in a tackle, maybe a push or two and make sure you can get away with it

Gunn should have saved the first and 5th goals which weren't hit with a lot of power but he was too slow to react, 2nd goal was one pass ripped 5 players out of the game, passed back, nobody tries to block it and Musiala fires high into the net.  I think there is a player in Porteous at times, he wasn't a bad player when it comes to passing but he's got that wild side to him which normally came out against my club and people saw it tonight.  As soon as I saw that replay, I knew he was going and it was going to be a penalty.  Gundogan is lucky his tournament is still going because that tackle could have snapped his ankle, horrible to look at on the replay

2nd half felt like Germany just wanted to try other players and Scotland were trying to keep the score down, Fullkrug's goal was a brilliant finish, one of those proper striker goals I love to see.  Got a lot to do to pick ourselves up for the next game, feel sorry for people who went out to Germany and paid decent money but I guess they'll just get drunk and forget about it

2 hours ago, Rob1981 said:

Hard to defend the Porteous tackle, but the context is important. If that’s a lunge on the halfway line when the ball is moving around at a steady pace… it’s horrific. But if the ball is bouncing around two yards from goal and people are frantically just throwing their bodies everywhere to try and make a block, I don’t believe there’s any intent there. Again, without VAR that never gets given. But as soon as you review and freeze frame and see the angle of studs on the ankle it’s only going one way.

Fantastic example of why VAR is a must as you are actually correct and without VAR such a massive mistake would have happened.

16 minutes ago, Obi-Wan Kenobi said:

Yup. John Collins against Brazil, and Craig Burley against Norway both at France 98.

David Narey was my first thought then Archie Gemmill but I'm showing my age.

I also wondered about Dalglish and Jordan and they've scored too in the WC

Edited by JJ72

Jordan scored in the 74 and 78 World Cup

the earlier thing being something I've heard for years as my dad was one of those supporting Scotland over in Germany for that one :D "if we could just have scored more against Zaire"

1 hour ago, JJ72 said:

David Narey was my first thought then Archie Gemmill but I'm showing my age.

I also wondered about Dalglish and Jordan and they've scored too in the WC

Yeah, Narey's "toepoke" (get ****ed Jimmy Hill) was the first one that sprang to mind, immediately followed by Archie Gemmill's iconic effort.

Nagelsmann showed his class as coach.

His strength is to know the strength/ability of each individual player and construct a team where these individual strengths work as multipliers to the team stength that is then unleashed specifically tailored vs the oponent to succeed.

If he doesnt become a lazy sloth like Löw he will be extremely successful!

Edited by Etebaer