Game 44: Austria vs Türkiye live from the Leipzig Stadium. ITV1 8pm

Who will be the winner?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the winner?

• Austria win
    • Türkiye win

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/07/24 at 18:59

austria-vs-turkey-prediction-euro-2024.p

Austria are predicted as the most likely side to win inside 90 minutes by the Opta supercomputer, which gives them a 49.3% win probability. 

This will be the first meeting between Turkey and Austria at a major men’s tournament.

Rangnick’s side are a brilliant pressing unit. Only Germany (8.8) had a lower PPDA in the group stages than Austria (9.0), while they were second for tackles (61) behind Georgia (63) and top for fouls conceded (49).

Turkey love to get on the front foot, too. Indeed, only Portugal (5.8) and Spain (5.4) had a higher non-penalty expected goals (xG) total than Turkey (5.2) in the groups, while Vincenzo Montella’s team were also third for high turnovers (28), behind Croatia (34) and Portugal (30).

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Calhanoglu is a big miss for Turkey.

It'll be close, but I fancy Austria to win again - and set up another thriller against the Dutch.

Bardakci and Wimmer both look like walking yellow cards looking at recent fixtures. Unfortunately, Wimmer is suspended though.

• Administrators

Crazy defending :D 

From a Dutch point of view: ref, let's not be greedy with cards.

Potentially out next match:
Austria 6 + 2 on the bench
Türkye 6 + 3

• Administrators

My word what a game :D 

1 minute ago, CFuller said:

Kokcu booked - "Misses next match"

Won't be the last, I suspect.

13 players between the two sides that are a booking away from missing the next game if their team advances. :D 

1 minute ago, craigcwwe said:

13 players between the two sides that are a booking away from missing the next game if their team advances. :D 

It's kind of stupid that it's only two cards for suspension up to quarter-final.

Should be two for third group game suspension and then add one more in knockout stage.

13 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

It's kind of stupid that it's only two cards for suspension up to quarter-final.

Tis. Plays into the hands of traditional favourites too because you're less likely to have the depth to cover if you're Austria

9 minutes ago, ceefax the cat said:

Tis. Plays into the hands of traditional favourites too because you're less likely to have the depth to cover if you're Austria

If you need loads of fouls to win, there is a price for that.

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, DJ said:

If you need loads of fouls to win, there is a price for that.

being suspended after X number of cards in X number of games isn't really an immutable law of football though, and clearly we've all decided that it's farcical not to draw a line at some point and start again, because we accept that yellow cards happen and we don't want loads of players suspended for big games without having really done much wrong

We're just saying that it would be better to draw the line a bit earlier. Nobody's championing foul play, but having a potential ban potentially hanging over you for 3 games just for 1 booking seems pretty harsh, especially in a tournament that lasts 7 games max.

I'd be perfectly happy if it was just "bookings in successive games = 1 match ban" on a rolling basis. What's the point of having someone miss a once-in-a-lifetime quarter final for getting booked in games 1 and 4?

Edited by ceefax the cat

Commentator thought it was offside not a goal kick a couple minutes ago. Anyone with eyes could see he was on side when running on to the ball, just failed to keep it in play, good try though.

Two things I've seen in this tournament I think more than any other. 

1) Superb levels of selfishness

2) Passing the ball around, or even into, your own box while the opposition are close by.

Just now, Ackter said:

Two things I've seen in this tournament I think more than any other. 

1) Superb levels of selfishness

2) Passing the ball around, or even into, your own box while the opposition are close by.

What about the own goals?