Quarter Final 3: England vs Switzerland live from the Düsseldorf Arena. Saturday BBC1 5pm

Who will be the winner?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the winner?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/07/24 at 15:59

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 07/07/2024 at 23:07, arenaross said:

Is it? It feels to me like something that makes fundamentally no difference but someone has got a word count they need to hit. 

Not sure if you read the Athletic article, but this thread by Geir Jordet might convince you.

21 minutes ago, vikeologist said:

Not sure if you read the Athletic article, but this thread by Geir Jordet might convince you.

I did. It did not convince me but it's good that he's peddling his book.

The penalty shootout was genuinely one of the most impressive things this England side have ever done.

Everyone focused.  Everyone rehearsed, whether they were taking one or not.  No nerves.  Just go and execute on the plan.  Done.

It was only Germany that ever used to look remotely organised in shootouts back in the day.  Pretty much every other country just used to be mass of players huddling around after the final whistle.  And with the manager only asking if people fancied taking one after the game had already finished :D

On 07/07/2024 at 12:50, GunmaN1905 said:

Which part of my post made it look like I think you are? :D

Every tournament there's at least one first knockout round matchup between big nations and a couple of QF matchups between those.
One time England got an unfavorable QF matchup they lost.

Portugal eliminated probably the best Croatia if we talk actual performance, I think we had more chances of winning that tournament than 2018.
Then they were supposed to play Belgium, but what can they do if Wales beats Belgium. And won away against hosts.
Their road was easy, but they completed it.

In the end, for me the most important thing with these defensive teams is that they look solid defensively.
England doesn't.

Switzerland's defense and midfield are good, but their attack is dire.
If they allow the same space on their left Switzerland had yesterday, Netherlands will have a lot of great chances to score.

Sorry pal i'm just getting round to this.

You're probably right in that England have been a bit fortunate, but swings and roundabouts, I'd imagine fortune won't always favour them. 

On the other hand, I think they look pretty solid. They have the best defence in the tournament so far and the lowest xG conceded, but I'd imagine that's more down to Southgate's no risk strategy that personel. :DBecause, they also have like the lowest xG created which is insane, players considered. 

Yup, if England play like they did against Switzerland, they're in trouble today.