Making squad building more challenging

I am curious - how do you make squad building more challenging in your own saves? 

(This is mostly for those managing in the top flight of the nation they're in)

Some ideas I've seen around the forums and the community: 

1. No transfers at all / Youth only 
  2. Geo restrictions on transfers (e.g., only from nation, only from region etc)
  3. Age restrictions on transfers (e.g., only u18, only u21)
  4. Quantity restrictions on transfers (e.g., only x per window)
  5. Value restrictions on transfers (e.g., never cross X millions in transfer fees or something along those lines)
  6. "Head Coach model" - DoF initiates all transfers
  7. "Fog of war" (e.g., attribute-less or icons only skins)
  8. Scouting restrictions:
    • No manual scouting at all
    • No "players in range" scouting
    • No national team scouting

There may be more. #1 is clearly very challenging, but I've stayed away from that sort of gameplay so far because it's too "fantastical". Anyways - trying to gauge some opinions about what's been working for others... Any ideas are welcome. 

1 hour ago, Alejandro_FM said:

I am curious - how do you make squad building more challenging in your own saves? 

5. Value restrictions on transfers (e.g., never cross X millions in transfer fees or something along those lines)

There may be more. #1 is clearly very challenging, but I've stayed away from that sort of gameplay so far because it's too "fantastical". Anyways - trying to gauge some opinions about what's been working for others... Any ideas are welcome. 

Don't trade with Saudi + only signing players that your scout networks bring to you can be two nice additions! Refusing to sign from other teams in your domestic top flight can be a nice addition as well, it will keep the quality of your league nice and competitive which can improve quality of life. 

If #1 is too hardcore for you, you could implement a rule where you always want a handful of youth team players in the starting 11 of your match day squad. IRL I believe Man United have named a Youth Academy Player in the match day squad for the past 85 years or so? House rules like this can be a fun addition (and realistic as well).

I use one or more of 1,2 and 3 in every save. In fact I will usually start a save with an idea or narrative in mind of which the transfer policy is an integral part. I never, ever play without a transfer policy.

13 horas atrás, Alejandro_FM disse:

Options 2 and 6 but 6 is the long one

Edited by Ti Ago

8 ore fa, Alejandro_FM ha scritto:

7 is surely the best for realism

I usually use 2, 4, 7 and 8.

In a long-term save I would probably shift to number 1 too. Generally the less transfers I do, the more I will be interested in the career. Something like 2-3 new signings per season, if really needed is the best and if I can stick to zero, then it is perfect. 

For me the biggest problem with squad building is the lack of competition from the AI. This means in general that if you find yourself a clear target who you want to sign, it is really rare that you don't also get that player. You know, the kid in a candy store thing. 

I think this part of the game needs a lot of work in terms of development as it affects the difficulty so much. Squad building should be one of the most difficult areas of the game. Makes no sense that we need to restrict ourselves in this area. 

I remember back in FM 2007, for example, that the AI would practically always bid against you when you placed a bid for a player that they are also interested in. Nowadays you can have a long list of interested ai clubs but none of them doing anything when you make your move. 

On 10/07/2024 at 22:45, Alejandro_FM said:

I do 2 and 4. I like having a small squad and i really don't buy players unless my current one is asking to leave or run down his contract

On 11/07/2024 at 06:25, Cloud9 said:

If #1 is too hardcore for you, you could implement a rule where you always want a handful of youth team players in the starting 11 of your match day squad. IRL I believe Man United have named a Youth Academy Player in the match day squad for the past 85 years or so? House rules like this can be a fun addition (and realistic as well).

There are a few clubs around with similar policies. I'd do a 75% or so of my match squad needing to be from my academy. You can still take in the youth academy challenge but be able to enter the transfer market too of it's something you miss.

Another option is to use youth academys close by as well as your own to do an 100% academy style save. I'm thinking of doing one with all clubs from the Limburg regions of Belgium and Netherlands.

The variety of responses is quite telling. Thank you all!  

I agree with @El Payaso that stronger competition from the AI is needed. Also, top talents from around the globe are too attainable. Not quite sure how to implement, but there should be more barriers between middling clubs and the global prospects, whether they're financial or simply about the players desire to come. 

I'd love to see the game evolve also to a place in which #6 is a viable path - and take @Ti Ago's recommendation. The head coach model. The interaction between DoFs and Head Coach leaves a lot to be desired. I am all for focusing on training and match day but I'd like a proper mechanism to provide my inputs to the football operations team and have the the DOF be in sync with me over time the more we work together. 

On 11/07/2024 at 01:25, Cloud9 said:

If #1 is too hardcore for you, you could implement a rule where you always want a handful of youth team players in the starting 11 of your match day squad.

I already play with a strong academy focus. I'll probably set clearer goals around. Like number of players featured every season etc. It's not that youth only is too hardcore for me, I just think that it is quite unrealistic (I'm not saying that no clubs in the world operate that way, but certainly no top clubs). I also find that it's very difficult to rely on the academy - even one which produces great talents - for a specific style of play, DNA etc.

2 hours ago, wearesporting said:

Another option is to use youth academys close by as well as your own to do an 100% academy style save. I'm thinking of doing one with all clubs from the Limburg regions of Belgium and Netherlands.

Sounds like a very cool idea. 

I think I'll also continue to restrict transfers with some combo of #2, #4, and #5 - which seems to be a popular approach...