The Final: Spain vs England live from the Olympiastadion, Berlin. BBC1 AND ITV1. Sunday 8pm

Who will be the winner?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the winner?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 14/07/24 at 18:59

Just now, m_fenton said:

England have made 2 Euros finals, a WC semi and and WC quarter under Southgate, vs going out to Iceland and the EASY group before.

Of course he'll go, and its time, but deserves praise not this immature hatred ffs.

Why does he deserve praise? It's been 8 years of turgid performances, awful decisions and incredibly luck/solo moments.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For such a small region, the Basque country produces an insane amount of talent. Both Spanish scorers play at the two big Basque clubs, De La Fuente grew up there and then you had Simon, Le Normand, Laporte, Merino, Zubimendi, etc.

Then there's managers like Alonso, Arteta, Emery, Iraola, Valverde and Alguacil around as well.

Just now, m_fenton said:

England have made 2 Euros finals, a WC semi and and WC quarter under Southgate, vs going out to Iceland and the EASY group before.

Of course he'll go, and its time, but deserves praise not this immature hatred ffs.

Can praise him for his record, and criticise him for the style, some of the performances, and that nagging feeling that being a little more positive might have made that record even better.

Yessss! I think it was deserved. Spain played like a team regardless of who was on the field. I was really scared when Rodri went out but Zubimendi did perfect there. 

I think we played very well in general, thanks to Nico and Yamal we can mix the old short passing control style with counters and wing play that we didn’t have before. I we just had a proper striker we would be unbeatable.

Just now, m_fenton said:

Bottled the WC semi and Euro's final vs Italy in the exact same way showing he learnt nothing.

Played all this tournament showing he's learnt nothing..Kane looking **** all tournament, still starts him in the final for example.

2 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

It's not a good effort.

It's horrible effort.

And only one man is to blame.

England were outplayed from the first minute. As expected like before the Euro even began. So it wasn't horrible effort. Horrible effort would be sitting back and getting bulldozed.

Just now, Icondacarver said:

I kinda wish Bellingham did not make that overhead kick. That was where this team deserved to exit.

England (Southgate) have relied on moments. Spain are an excellent team, with a system, great players, playing well, in familiar positions.

1 minute ago, Ackter said:

Why does he deserve praise? It's been 8 years of turgid performances, awful decisions and incredibly luck/solo moments.

Then give up on watching England. We'll never have an 8 year spell that consistent again.

2 minutes ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

A bit like the France quarter final, when we got it back to 1-1 that was the moment to take control and get the winner. Alas.

Spain looked rattled for a few minutes after the equaliser but then we eased off again and let them go back to dictating the tempo. 

Just now, m_fenton said:

Then give up on watching England. We'll never have an 8 year spell that consistent again.

You won nothing and didn't even play well.

Just not good enough tonight (or all tournament really). Spain comfortably better side. We had to push for a 2nd after equaliser  while momentum was with us but Spain just stepped it up another gear and we couldn't get near them. 

Player for player I don't think Spain are a better side but they are a much better coached side. I love Gareth, he's given me some of my greatest moments as a football fan but we were have declined massively this tournament so it's time to bow out. It's only gonna get worse from here on

Just now, georginho_juventusygr said:

England were outplayed from the first minute. As expected like before the Euro even began. So it wasn't horrible effort. Horrible effort would be sitting back and getting bulldozed.

Why was it expected? Because they have the worst coach in the tournament.

Players gave their best effort, but football a team sport where coaching matters the most.

2 minutes ago, arenaross said:

Hand on heart you can't really say we'd have deserved to win that tournament. Really shithoused our way through. 

No point going back over everything we've already discussed to death but I think that's enough for Gareth now. Whatever he got right or wrong... persisting with Kane throughout this tournament was nigh on unforgivable. 

Congratulations to Spain. Worthy winners. 

Going out to Slovakia or Switzerland is what we’ve played at. Getting to final for the hope of winning, just masks everything that was wrong from early on.

Kane injured all tournament. Bellingham playing LW and not using an actual LW all tournament. Going long as a tactic. Just a lot of things were off from early on.

1 minute ago, georginho_juventusygr said:

That's what happened after we equalised mind :D

Just kept hoofing it forward to let Spain attack and create chance after chance.

Just now, m_fenton said:

I'll settle for one tournament actually looking like we might win it

1 minute ago, m_fenton said:

The level of talent in this squad is exponentially higher than 2016.   As a starter we have the player of the year in the PL, La Liga and the top scorer in the Bundesliga.

And with that we've been poor most games, including this one. 

Just now, Bigwig said:

Spain looked rattled for a few minutes after the equaliser but then we eased off again and let them go back to dictating the tempo. 

That was our chance to keep them on the ropes and go for the throat.we sat back and invited them onto us 

Just now, Bigwig said:

He needed to make another sub at that moment, get another outlet on so we could counter

1 minute ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Why was it expected? Because they have the worst coach in the tournament.

Players gave their best effort, but football a team sport where coaching matters the most.

No, Spain have better players too. It would have taken an elite coach versus an average coach to reverse the outcome.

2 minutes ago, georginho_juventusygr said:

Why expected?  The squad is very good (as good as Spain's), the coaching isn't.

7 minutes ago, Ty said:

Hes blown on 4 minutes with 2 minutes of Spain players on the floor :D 

It's why the longer stoppage times were much fairer however frequently people said they were stupid

Wasn't a joke of a performance, but the win for Spain was well deserved.

On the plus side, Spain have proved it's possible to play the best football and win every match en route to the trophy.

Just now, Coulthard's Jaw said:

He needed to make another sub at that moment, get another outlet on so we could counter

For the last 8 years England's best moments have all come from counter attacks, yet Southgate's game plan appeas to be possession on the wings.

I've been disappointed with Southgate's negative tactics throughout the tournament. Up until the Slovakia game, I would have been perfectly happy to wave him out the door and let Graham Potter take over.

In terms of results, though, you can't scoff at two Euro Finals and a World Cup Semi. Other managers have fared much worse with teams that were expected to go all the way.

In this tournament, the defence has played like a team, but the attack has played like a bunch of individuals. I still think England would be better off with a new manager who can maybe get more out of us going forward, while not being afraid to make changes sooner - or phase out older/past-it players like Walker/Kane. But if Southgate decides to say on for one last shot, I'm prepared to stand by him.

Just now, RTHerringbone said:

No, Spain have better players too. It would have taken an elite coach versus an average coach to reverse the outcome.

If it was just Spain, it would be fine.

But you got through the knockout phase with nothing but sheer luck and individual brilliance in every single game.

Sometimes it has to stop. You can't sh*thouse 4 knockout games.

• Administrators

Both goals conceded today had the same problem, and it wasn’t Walker’s fault but Saka being miles out of position and/or unable to track the man down that side. 

Absolutely delighted for Cole Palmer coming on to make a difference, Ollie was unlucky not to control Jude’s through ball better. 

Again today we showed great intensity after going behind, and might have played better if we could have done that all game. But no disgrace, I’m proud of the team. Thought we played well except for the glaring mistake on the right flank, just asking Walker to do too much there. 

Here’s to USA ‘26, and hope we can go deep in the tournament there as well. 

2 minutes ago, Bigwig said:

This is what I thought. They just did their usual of sitting back, let Spain take control again, but this time vs. a more tired England that couldn't keep up with them defensively. Get away with it against Slovakia and the other fodder, but these top sides make you pay.

Just now, aiston said:

Southgate the first manager to only play down the right and middle, leaving the left completely vacant?

Should've stuck Heskey there

1 minute ago, m_fenton said:

And that wasn't 2021 when we were leading in the final?

No, because it was another terrible series of performances and everyone was waiting for it to come undone, which it did.

3 minutes ago, Bigwig said:

Watkins pressing on his own with no-one near him because Saka / Foden / Bellingham were ****ed. Then Pickford going long to him and losing it. Just painfully bad when Spain were on ropes.

Feel for the majority of England fans tonight, except those wearing chainmail, **** them. 

A lot of potential in the England squad, if they can get some strength in depth in key positions. Weak at fullback and in central midfield. Rice and a kid with less than 50 senior games isn't enough to win a tournament. Especially when they're backed up by Conor Gallagher and Alexander-Arnold or god forbid Kalvin Phillips. 

3 minutes ago, JJ72 said:

I'll settle for one tournament actually looking like we might win it

Apart from the last two, which you didn’t like either :D 

I don't know how effective we'd have been pressing them a bit more in all honesty, Spain were much much more comfortable under pressure than England.

The reason we ended up with Pickford booting it out was that we couldn't rely on getting it up the pitch by passing it out

Just now, CFuller said:

In terms of results, though, you can't scoff at two Euro Finals and a World Cup Semi. Other managers have fared much worse with teams that were expected to go all the way.

In terms of results you've won nothing and haven't even entertained along the way. Gareth is not the reason you've got this far.

Just now, m_fenton said:

And that wasn't 2021 when we were leading in the final?

Against a not great Italy who were on the ropes.   Or 2018 when winning against Croatia in the semi.

Southgate hasn’t learnt anything, hasn’t developed as a coach at all since becoming England manager. Southgate is still making the same mistakes, still putting his faith in the wrong players.

England have some exceptional players, some talented young players and should be able to stand up and play good football. England have been negative, defensive, safety first, reactive football. They are capable of playing proactive, imposing, controlling football. Shame.

Southgate should leave after this tournament, no real ill feeling, he’s a nice guy. 

Really noticed Rice tonight though, because Spain have players prepared to zip it forward, while Rice deliberates for a ****ing age and ends up turning and passing backwards