The Final: Spain vs England live from the Olympiastadion, Berlin. BBC1 AND ITV1. Sunday 8pm

Who will be the winner?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the winner?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 14/07/24 at 18:59

1 minute ago, The_jagster said:

The reason we ended up with Pickford booting it out was that we couldn't rely on getting it up the pitch by passing it out

All the players do it at club level now, a shame we didn't have a bit more faith in our ability.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, aiston said:

Southgate the first manager to only play down the right and middle, leaving the left completely vacant?

No wonder Keir's been all over the team since the election...

Just now, The_jagster said:

Really noticed Rice tonight though, because Spain have players prepared to zip it forward, while Rice deliberates for a ****ing age and ends up turning and passing backwards

I love him as a player but he had a very poor tournament.

Just now, Coulthard's Jaw said:

All the players do it at club level now, a shame we didn't have a bit more faith in our ability.

And all the players were screaming at Pickford not to go long, stones showing, Bellingham and Foden shouting to play short, goes long. Ball lost.

Comes from manager that approach. 

Just now, Smallen said:

I love him as a player but he had a very poor tournament.

I really rate him too, with the possible exception of Saka I just think our play makes everyone look worse in attack in an England shirt

Really noticed Rice tonight though, because Spain have players prepared to zip it forward, while Rice deliberates for a ****ing age and ends up turning and passing backwards

I don't think Rice is a bad player but the role he plays for England isn't good. Him and Kane just don't seem to fit this team

7 minutes ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

He needed to make another sub at that moment, get another outlet on so we could counter

Yeah I think that’s been an ongoing issue throughout Southgate’s tenure. You see other teams drawing who are making subs to try and win the game whereas Southgate prefers to keep things as they are to stay in the game rather than push for a winner.

Trent, Gordon, Eze and Bowen could have all caused problems to a team who’ve just conceded and are trying to resettle. 

Another thing that I’m annoyed with by sitting off for like 80 of the 90, we’ve seen Simon kick so badly all tournament, but by sitting off, it meant we didn’t see it. When we had that spell of needing to press and push up, they were turning it over to us a bit.

Should’ve been that from the beginning, then bring on Watkins / Gordon / Bowen / Palmer / Gallagher to keep the legs going. 

Think Gareth has truly used like 15 of the squad this tournament, and 2 of them because of the CM trial. Everyone else, not really trusted unless last chance saloon.

2 minutes ago, Darren Moores Mum said:

We offered nothing though, did we? The Palmer goal came out of very little. Spain weren't great but they controlled the game. We've looked poor all tournament and had moments that saved us.

I'd have danced naked up the street for a win, but we had no right even being here tonight really

I really rate him too, with the possible exception of Saka I just think our play makes everyone look worse in attack in an England shirt

We could really use a proper deep receiver to play as a 6 and be our main progressor. Would allow Rice more freedom to press and play his actual game. He’s not someone who should be receiving the ball off the CBs and keeper.

Maybe Wharton can do it, I dunno. 

Yeh re: Rice. That isn't his position. It was clear at the World Cup. But at Arsenal he has Jorginho who, whether you like him or not, is good at the job he's put in the team for. England don't have anyone like that so Rice has to do it. I think that needs to be accounted for whenever analysing a Rice performance for England.

Southgate’s issue this tournament has been there has been nobody froM a starting 11 point of view willing to make runs into the box or break their back line, our attacking 4 were Kane, who looked like he’d aged 6 years, Foden who wants ball to feet, a knackared Bellingham and a wide Saka insistent on coming in side from well wide. 

Was fully supportive of the squad chosen but in hindsight a rashford would have made a hell of a difference. 

Subs, almost to late or not enough or not progressive enough.

I think we need someone that will retain this squad atmosphere and togetherness but is a bit more brave going forward, the only person I think could do that is Howe but I don’t think he’d leave Newcastle yet

Edited by Barnzy

2 minutes ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

Rice needs a passer alongside him, we've been saying that all tournament.

Aye. Mainoo is great but he's not a progressive passer as far as I can see (based on this tournament, he's extremely tidy and composed and passes well, just not very incisively).

Who would be the guy to play alongside Rice?

Joselu from second division to winning league, champions and euro in the same year, so happy for him. Now earn some money in Qatar and enjoy life.

1 minute ago, Smallen said:

We could really use a proper deep receiver to play as a 6 and be our main progressor. Would allow Rice more freedom to press and play his actual game. He’s not someone who should be receiving the ball off the CBs and keeper.

Maybe Wharton can do it, I dunno. 

So are we destined to struggle for next X amount of years with a Rice & Mainoo partnership that just won't work to the level we need?

1 minute ago, skybluedave said:

So are we destined to struggle for next X amount of years with a Rice & Mainoo partnership that just won't work to the level we need?

No. Drop Rice and use someone else with Mainoo.

2 minutes ago, eenie said:

Aye. Mainoo is great but he's not a progressive passer as far as I can see (based on this tournament, he's extremely tidy and composed and passes well, just not very incisively).

Who would be the guy to play alongside Rice?

Rodri if they could get him to change nationality :D

it's an area that England have lacked for years, I remember Pirlo controlling a game in 2012 against England in the Euros

Am not going to listen or give any time to pro Southgate crap. I’ve heard it all before, so many times for far too long. Been reading the same ***** over and over again. End of the day he’s had 4 tournaments, had a lot of luck and got some results to take the team far but it’s time for someone else. Might be worse, might be better, might be the same but can’t take any more of him. It’s not just the performances under him, it’s the games in general, they’re not enjoyable for anyone, completely unwatchable. Thanks but go away now.   

1 minute ago, skybluedave said:

I hope not because it’s not a compatible partnership at all…

I think Mainoo will eventually end up as a 10 tbh and we’ll be worrying about how to get him, Bellingham, Foden and Palmer in the same team.

3 minutes ago, kopsy101 said:

:confused: He had one

1 minute ago, kopsy101 said:

Yeah, he had the most key passes and chances created. 

And that’d be great if the opposition would just let him have the ball with 10 yards of space around him all the time. 

Just now, Vynal Seven said:

And that’d be great if the opposition would just let him have the ball with 10 yards of space around him all the time. 

Well the stats are accurate despite the fact that didn't happen

It’s mad isn’t it how Southgate has played all tournament with literally no left winger.

Was that the reason to why he called up Gordon? Easier to give him 0 minutes, whereas Grealish or Rashford will be more controversial as it would get more attention. 

5 minutes ago, Smallen said:

I hope not because it’s not a compatible partnership at all…

I think Mainoo will eventually end up as a 10 tbh and we’ll be worrying about how to get him, Bellingham, Foden and Palmer in the same team.

I've not seen that much of him tbf but he looks like an 8 to me rather than a 10.