Knockout stages not working as intended

Hello everyone, I need help. I'm trying to make the round of 16 for a 32 team world cup, but everytime I try to fix the draw so that the Group A winner will be paired up with the group B runner-up for example, the game totally ignores that and instead makes the knockouts random

I followed this tutorial step by step but it didn't work. Searching up the forums yielded nothing new that I didn't already know of. What am I doing wrong???

36 minutes ago, fm24player said:

Hello everyone, I need help. I'm trying to make the round of 16 for a 32 team world cup, but everytime I try to fix the draw so that the Group A winner will be paired up with the group B runner-up for example, the game totally ignores that and instead makes the knockouts random

I followed this tutorial step by step but it didn't work. Searching up the forums yielded nothing new that I didn't already know of. What am I doing wrong???

Probably be better to upload the file however, if u look few posts down i asked a question regarding International competition because i wanted real fixtures there for the euro. Knockout stage with the team mapping is the same as it was for real so maybe look at My team mapping and as well option to tick and u might be able to resolve that. 

1 hour ago, rmpMarko said:

Probably be better to upload the file however, if u look few posts down i asked a question regarding International competition because i wanted real fixtures there for the euro. Knockout stage with the team mapping is the same as it was for real so maybe look at My team mapping and as well option to tick and u might be able to resolve that. 

How do I upload files?

Also i'm going to take a look at your save and I'll see if there's something I can change

8 minutes ago, fm24player said:

How do I upload files?

Also i'm going to take a look at your save and I'll see if there's something I can change

When u write here, just below it says add file. 

Posted (edited)

It won't let me upload files, but I'm going to assume it's because I'm new here (I can provide screenshots tho). Anyway, I copied some stuff and it actually works, thank you! The main issue is that certain instructions from the tutorial video were completely unnecessary (e.g. making the top and bottom position seeds 0 and 1, and I didn't tick the "don't randomize home and away teams" in the draw rules) since I saw that you had those sections disabled, I did too and it worked.

Anyway, I'm kind of new to the editor so I hope I'm not annoying but I do have one more question if you don't mind. How can I make the knockout stages viewable in the tree format? thank you once again

Edited by fm24player

2 hours ago, fm24player said:

Anyway, I'm kind of new to the editor so I hope I'm not annoying but I do have one more question if you don't mind. How can I make the knockout stages viewable in the tree format? thank you once again

The knockout stage has to be a single stage for the tree view to work. IIRC basic rules defaults to a separate stage for every single round, which won't work. You have to put all the rounds in a single stage instead.

Also, generally when you want to do stuff, the easiest way is to look for another competition that does it that way and just copy that. So for your 32 team WC, load up the rules for the old WC and just copy the setup across. Would probably need an older FM version to be able to do that, but opening it in an older version means you could have that editor and the FM24 one open side by side, making the copying across easier. Alternatively, I think the 32 team club world cup uses a similar knockout round setup so that could be copied too. As for how to check rules of competitions like those, here: https://community.sports-interactive.com/forums/topic/540347-how-to-extract-continental-club-and-international-files-from-editor-tutorial/page/2/#comment-13403624

Posted (edited)

After hours of tweaking and frustration, I can confirm that I finally managed to get both the knockouts and the tree format to work.

Anyway, when I tried to find a way to get the tree format to work (since it didn't even want to start the knockouts at first), I couldn't find anything on the forums or the internet so I'll just leave this here: for anyone who's still struggling with it, just copy the North American Gold Cup's knockout format and tweak certain matchups if you wanna change them. Trying to copy the Club World Cup's format didn't work, and it was basically useless to me. Same for Copa America.

Edited by fm24player