UI 35 fps downscale - 4070TI Super

Hi guys,

Just installed FM24 but I cannot play more than 10 minutes as I get severe headache from the 35 FPS / MHZ downscale while in UI ( squad, tactics, basically playing game).

The main menu and 3 matches are upscaling to 165 fps insantly, but just after landing in the static screens the game scales the fps down to 35.

I've got a high end PC and a 165 mhz monitor, so there is no fps drop or anything like it due to performance. It's just the game that 'prefers' to cool it down to 35.

May be an image of phone, video games, controller and text

1 hour ago, vic_underground said:

Hi guys,

Just installed FM24 but I cannot play more than 10 minutes as I get severe headache from the 35 FPS / MHZ downscale while in UI ( squad, tactics, basically playing game).

The main menu and 3 matches are upscaling to 165 fps insantly, but just after landing in the static screens the game scales the fps down to 35.

I've got a high end PC and a 165 mhz monitor, so there is no fps drop or anything like it due to performance. It's just the game that 'prefers' to cool it down to 35.

May be an image of phone, video games, controller and text

I just checked and you are right, when I am not moving my mouse, my FPS is 35. Maybe this does not make sense - but why don't you limit FM to 60FPS, and then when it drops to 35, or when it rises up to 60, the effect you are noticing should not be that strong. I don't see any issues on my side when the FPS is fluctuating 

Edited by Marko1989

In the match engine if the FPS is that low then it's worth reviewing your settings but FM typically uses a lock to your screens refresh rate. 

On the menus and screens outside of the match FPS has no impact as the other screens are essentially just static images. If it's hurting your eyes/giving headaches on those screens you probably need to be looking at a different skin.

That's normal mate its the match engine that matters and that's when you will see the usage go up its a power saving thing by SI i think but i do know that its normal 

18 hours ago, Marko1989 said:

I just checked and you are right, when I am not moving my mouse, my FPS is 35. Maybe this does not make sense - but why don't you limit FM to 60FPS, and then when it drops to 35, or when it rises up to 60, the effect you are noticing should not be that strong. I don't see any issues on my side when the FPS is fluctuating 

I am complaining about 35 fps as 35 mhz hurting my eyes - btw does anyone know if the game renders 35 fps then the monitor will match that in mhz as well (.e.g 35 mhz) or monitor keeps running at it's speed 165 mhz?

18 hours ago, santy001 said:

In the match engine if the FPS is that low then it's worth reviewing your settings but FM typically uses a lock to your screens refresh rate. 

On the menus and screens outside of the match FPS has no impact as the other screens are essentially just static images. If it's hurting your eyes/giving headaches on those screens you probably need to be looking at a different skin.

Match engine pumps fps to 165 fps - same question as above stands -> does FPS = MHz ?

6 hours ago, JamieTC13 said:

That's normal mate its the match engine that matters and that's when you will see the usage go up its a power saving thing by SI i think but i do know that its normal 

Can you confirm you're having 35 fps as well while in UI?

It's not the clearest picture in the world but here is on my News screen for example:

ae413c7002e2e7914a160bceae794667.png

The FPS on such a page doesn't matter, it's more likely a case you're seeing this number and attributing something else fatiguing your eyes to the FPS. The frames per second on a static image that doesn't change is irrelevant. The screens outside of a match are nothing more than pictures. It'd be like slapping an FPS count on a photograph someone is showing you. 

I can't remember if it is V-sync exactly, but FM runs that and so it is pegged in matches to your monitors refresh rate. 

Again not exactly the clearest as it's just Steams FPS counter but as soon as I enter a match, 165 FPS which matches my monitors refresh rate:

e0ffe6bda9fc655273f9eda5d386c06a.png

The low FPS on the menus cannot be the cause of what you're feeling, as someone who had to grow up through an era of 25 FPS capped PAL games (we were forbidden from the 30 FPS NTSC games) a low FPS shouldn't hurt your eyes - it should just look choppy and off-putting compared to what you're used to (it certainly feels wrong whenever I see a game running locked at 30 FPS these days). It's probably going to be a case of looking at the area you're sitting in when it comes to lighting and seeing if that is causing eye-strain, maybe the font sizes in game are too small or the skin you're using has a font type/colouring that doesn't make it easy on the eyes. 

27 minutes ago, santy001 said:

It's not the clearest picture in the world but here is on my News screen for example:

ae413c7002e2e7914a160bceae794667.png

The FPS on such a page doesn't matter, it's more likely a case you're seeing this number and attributing something else fatiguing your eyes to the FPS. The frames per second on a static image that doesn't change is irrelevant. The screens outside of a match are nothing more than pictures. It'd be like slapping an FPS count on a photograph someone is showing you. 

I can't remember if it is V-sync exactly, but FM runs that and so it is pegged in matches to your monitors refresh rate. 

Again not exactly the clearest as it's just Steams FPS counter but as soon as I enter a match, 165 FPS which matches my monitors refresh rate:

e0ffe6bda9fc655273f9eda5d386c06a.png

The low FPS on the menus cannot be the cause of what you're feeling, as someone who had to grow up through an era of 25 FPS capped PAL games (we were forbidden from the 30 FPS NTSC games) a low FPS shouldn't hurt your eyes - it should just look choppy and off-putting compared to what you're used to (it certainly feels wrong whenever I see a game running locked at 30 FPS these days). It's probably going to be a case of looking at the area you're sitting in when it comes to lighting and seeing if that is causing eye-strain, maybe the font sizes in game are too small or the skin you're using has a font type/colouring that doesn't make it easy on the eyes. 

Thanks man! I tend to believe it's because of the skin / fonts.  I can't recall having these issues playing FM23 using a similar dark skin tho. 

Will give it a try during daylinght with multiple skins.

Thanks again!

7 hours ago, vic_underground said:

I am complaining about 35 fps as 35 mhz hurting my eyes - btw does anyone know if the game renders 35 fps then the monitor will match that in mhz as well (.e.g 35 mhz) or monitor keeps running at it's speed 165 mhz?

I thought you had issues with 35FPS when you were going from screen to screen, for example from "squad" to "tactics" because FPS is unstable when you are changing screens, at least on my side it can change from 35FPS to 60FPS in a couple of seconds, so I thought you had motion sickness or something like that, that is why I recommended limiting your FPS.

If you have issues with still screens after you change the skin, you can take a screenshot so we can see if there is a font issue in the screenshot itself or if the issue is visible only on your monitor. ( not just the picture with the mobile phone like above, but real screenshot )

Check if g-sync is enabled, and  Refresh rate of your monitor no way that graphics card would be struggling here.

Check drivers as well in case windows decided to update a broken version causing Issues .

Also is that Fraps ? Highly recommend you don't use that ( list of issue's is huge) ,  latest Nvidia software has a FPS counter in the new control panel use that or MSI afterburner 

On 07/09/2024 at 20:49, vic_underground said:

Thanks man! I tend to believe it's because of the skin / fonts.  I can't recall having these issues playing FM23 using a similar dark skin tho. 

Will give it a try during daylinght with multiple skins.

Thanks again!

I'd agree, it's probably less likely to be the frame rate as it's mostly still images.  The only thing affected by the framerate on those screens is the movement of the cursor.