Why do staff not take second nationality?

So I’ve noticed that even when foreign staff have been at the club for 20+ years, I’m still having to apply for work permits when renewing contracts (presumably at a cost). Should they not get second nationality similar to players?

I’d understand it for scouts who realistically may not be based in the club’s country, but my HoYD for example surely should be eligible?

Now you mention it, I don't think I have ever seen it happen to myself as a manager, even if I manage in other nations than my own for many years.

I think the option isn't available for foreign staff, but it is something for the request section.

16 hours ago, santy001 said:

I imagine the work permits are different in most countries for non-playing staff and it reverts to the countries own rules/regulations in regards to that. 

But it's not really about work permits though? The requirements for being able to apply for citizenship can't possibly be different for players vs non-players. So if a foreign coach has been working for long enough in a country it should be able to gain a 2nd nationality in the game. Also, I guess many countries apply something like a permanent residency status, meaning a person without citizenship is allowed to reside in the country permanently without having to apply for new work permits for each contract. I have never thought about this in FM but it's an interesting observation from the OP. I think it should be reported as a bug.

Perhaps the question should be, "What are the advantages for a coach to take a second nationality, even if they have achieved the qualification criteria?"

Some countries do not allow second nationalities and require you to give up your original nationality before changing, so there is that consideration. Players change nationalities to gain representative honours, but that is not so prevalent for staff, so the advantages of changing are certainly reduced.

On 20/10/2024 at 02:04, FrazT said:

Perhaps the question should be, "What are the advantages for a coach to take a second nationality, even if they have achieved the qualification criteria?"

Some countries do not allow second nationalities and require you to give up your original nationality before changing, so there is that consideration. Players change nationalities to gain representative honours, but that is not so prevalent for staff, so the advantages of changing are certainly reduced.

Yeah. I get that, but it seems to be a bit of a blanket rule, I’ve got staff from various countries in Europe, Africa and South America that have been in the UK for 15+ years that I have to apply for a work permit for whenever they renew contracts/change job role. Just seems a bit odd.