The Lost Season 4 thread *for episodes aired in the US/abc.com* *season 3 spoilers and a mid-season cut-off guranteed*

rosslarkin

Originally posted by RedRob:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">RedRob: Jack was supposed to die after 3 episodes (IIRC) too, yet they've managed to build quite a lot of the programme around him, Kate/Sawyer, Jack and Locke as embodiments of two attitudes etc.

Well exactly, im saying that the death of Ben wouldnt leave the writers with nowhere to go. Ben is by the far the best character for me, so its certainly a good choice of the writers to keep him on. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, sorry, I wasn't disagreeing with you, I was adding to your point.

panda: My point was the there's no-one that can't be killed, whether that be right now, or at some point in the future. The closest to unkillable is probably Locke, and even he could be in that coffin if that moment is at the end of the penultimate series, there's plenty of time to build to anyone's death at that time. Hexhamlad argued that Ben couldn't die, when I think he, and anyone else, could.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Nucampe:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RedRob:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">RedRob: Jack was supposed to die after 3 episodes (IIRC) too, yet they've managed to build quite a lot of the programme around him, Kate/Sawyer, Jack and Locke as embodiments of two attitudes etc.

Well exactly, im saying that the death of Ben wouldnt leave the writers with nowhere to go. Ben is by the far the best character for me, so its certainly a good choice of the writers to keep him on. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, sorry, I wasn't disagreeing with you, I was adding to your point.

panda: My point was the there's no-one that can't be killed, whether that be right now, or at some point in the future. The closest to unkillable is probably Locke, and even he could be in that coffin if that moment is at the end of the penultimate series, there's plenty of time to build to anyone's death at that time. Hexhamlad argued that Ben couldn't die, when I think he, and anyone else, could. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Which is why I said for at least one more season.

Person in coffin in flash-forward = chopper pilot?

Jack said he wasn't a family member or friend, but was obviously effected very much by his death - possibly because he is Jack's only chance of getting back to the island because he has got there before.

And also the newspaper clip about the person who died indicated they were in New York I think. And in that least ep the pilot mentioned he (or his dad?) grew up as a Yankees fan.

Thoughts?

Originally posted by pandaLUFC:

Although that has since been revised - season 4 will only be 13 episodes long.

True. But they said any unfilmed episodes during season 4 will be carried over to season 5 icon_wink.gif

So that means they'll probably end up like:

Season 4 = 13 episodes

Season 5 = 19 episodes

Season 6 = 16 episodes

I assumed the marshall guarding kate was one of the two that died, from what was said in the last episode. Although thinking about it, I suppose he could have just been counted among the rest of those that died in the crash.

Originally posted by Francis Cole:

Speaking of Jack meant to be die after 3 seasons - Ben himself was only meant to be in the series for a few epps, but the actor was so good they made him into a larger role.

Mainly true I think but from what Ive read, Ben was always going to be a big character and it was Henry Gale that was only supposed to last a few episodes and they like Michael Emerson so much they turned Henry into Ben.

This is the transcript.

Jack: "On September 22, 2004, Kate-uh, Ms. Austen and I were both passengers on Oceanic Flight 815, which crash landed on an island in the South Pacific."

Duncan: "Were you aware that Ms. Austen was a fugitive being transported by a United States Marshal on that flight to Los Angeles for trial?"

Jack "I did learn that eventually, yes."

Duncan: "From the U.S. Marshal?"

Jack "No, the Marshal died in the crash. I never spoke to him. Ms. Austen told me."

Duncan: "Did you ever ask her if she was guilty?"

Jack: "No, never."

Duncan: "Well it seems like a reasonable question. Why not?"

Jack: "I just assumed that there'd been some kind of mistake."

Duncan: "And why would you think that?"

Jack: "Only eight of us survived the crash. We landed in the water. I was hurt pretty badly. In fact, if it weren't for her, I never would have made it to shore. She took care of me. She took care of all of us. She gave us first aid, water, found food and shelter. She tried to save the other two, but-"

I still think Claire is one of the Oceanic Six. Or at least, she doesn't stay.

Des had the vision of her stepping onto a helecopter that takes her off this Island. The only thing disputing this is that it was Naomi who parachuted onto the Island and not Penny, as Des had hoped, but his vision was all still correct; the vision never showed the face of this person.

So, you know, I think she gets off. How Aaron ends up in Kate's arms though, I really don't know.

He's obviously a special kid and he might have something to do with the six leaving the Island, something about the powers he might have - Jack obviously recognises that, that's why he doesn't want to see him (Kate: "Until you do see him, there is no 'us' or 'coffee'...").

But you could speculate until the cows come home really. They've been very clever with the writing this season, tricking us into thinking we're getting a lot of information but we're really no clearer about their fates.

A friend reckons Miles is Ben's spy and the £3.2m request was 'code' to let him know that. Although I dispute it, because Miles seems to volatile a character for Ben to trust and he seems to have his own agenda. Plus, Ben seemed pretty surprised at the £3.2m request also.

Originally posted by millsch:

I would have thought Charlie would be one of the 2 crash survivors that later die as he spoke to Penny off island before he died.

Whoa, that's very interesting and makes it quite likely that Charlie is one of the 'other two.' Penny would be more than likely to report the fact that she spoke to Charlie, even if it was only after the rescue. She's also high-profile enough in the outside world that she wouldn't be seen as a nutcase, forcing the conspiracy to incorporate her story into their story.

After reading that transcript again, Jack doesn't necessarily imply that the 'other two' died immediately after the crash as I thought first time round. He talks about 'finding food and shelter' which makes things seem more long-term, which means it's possible that they said that Charlie made the transmission before eventually dying. Thank God Desmond wasn't on the crash or it'd be likely that he was the other one, since (IIRC) Charlie made mention of him to Penny, and had knowledge of who she was in any case.

One thing we are overlooking about Ben's informant on the ship.

How did he/she contact Ben?

There was a comms blackout caused by the submerged lab that Charlie stopped and by that point Ben was held captive by the survivors. Before then it has been mentioned that the Others had no contact off the island because of the Hatch imploding.

It may be that he had another way of contacting the outside world that was unaffected by the comms blackout, but why keep it secret from the Others?

Originally posted by spankie:

One thing we are overlooking about Ben's informant on the ship.

How did he/she contact Ben?

There was a comms blackout caused by the submerged lab that Charlie stopped and by that point Ben was held captive by the survivors. Before then it has been mentioned that the Others had no contact off the island because of the Hatch imploding.

It may be that he had another way of contacting the outside world that was unaffected by the comms blackout, but why keep it secret from the Others?

The money he had in his drawer and picture that the 'rescuers' have imply that Ben has a way off the island that he kept hidden from the Others, so the possibility of having a way of communicating off-island (remember, he's the one that set up the blackout so it's quite possible he has a way through it) is likely.

The other possibility is that Michael is the spy, and he and Walt are on the ship. That would explain why Walt (if it was him and not a manifestation of the island) could speak to Locke when he was shot - the ship was already approaching. Also, and it's pretty gay to consider, but Harold Perrineau is credited as a major character in the credits, which means he has to appear in the majority of episodes in this season, which means he has to appear pretty soon.

And saying that, it's still possible that Ben doesn't have a spy and is bluffing.

After the revelation at the end of episode 3, that Sayid goes on to work for Ben post-island, could it be possible that this partnership has already started?

Is Sayid Ben's man on the boat? True, he wasn't on it when Ben made the claim, and he may not even be on it now, but Ben may have known he was going to be on the boat...

Originally posted by Champo:

I'm purely waiting for episode 8 ment to be a gigantic cliffhanger. icon14.gif

No it's not, that's what everybody was saying but the writers have said it isn't the case and that it actually works better as premiere than a finale. Which is why the first block of episodes this season finish with episode 7 then re-start with episode 8 six weeks later.

Originally posted by Simpo:

After the revelation at the end of episode 3, that Sayid goes on to work for Ben post-island, could it be possible that this partnership has already started?

Is Sayid Ben's man on the boat? True, he wasn't on it when Ben made the claim, and he may not even be on it now, but Ben may have known he was going to be on the boat...

the harold perrineau credit makes it essentially certain that ben's man on the boat is michael imo.

Good news coming out of ABC this morning in that we gat 1 more episode before the break. The revised schedule now looks like this

Episode 5: Feb. 28

Episode 6: March 6

Episode 7: March 13

Episode 8: March 20

BREAK

Episode 9: April 24

Episode 10: May 1

Episode 11: May 8

Episode 12: May 15

Episode 13: May 22 (Season Finale)

Is it not possible with Kate's baby that it was named after Claire's Aaron?

I was thinking maybe everyone apart from the Ocenaic 6 die and Kate names her baby after Aaron?

Also I was thinking with the whole time difference off the Island thing, it would explain why Walt is older when him and Michael return.

Originally posted by Dying Dougs:

lost so short this season, bring back the days when a season was 24 episodes icon_frown.gif

Not too sure you know. Short seasons like this means we get less crappy filler episodes like the explanation of Jacks tatoos or where Charlie was having odd dreams. All episodes should be pretty good from now on

Originally posted by hjfh:

Also I was thinking with the whole time difference off the Island thing, it would explain why Walt is older when him and Michael return.

I still don't get why people are thinking there's a time difference?

Sure - it's taking longer to GET to and from the island than expected, but I don't think there's any ageing effects (or none that we have seen anyway. Apart from Walt of course, but has he actually been off island yet icon_wink.gif ).

Originally posted by jhype:

Not too sure you know. Short seasons like this means we get less crappy filler episodes like the explanation of Jacks tatoos or where Charlie was having odd dreams. All episodes should be pretty good from now on

The Jack Tatoo one was my 2nd favourite of season 3!

Originally posted by Frankie:

Also, see the Dharma cards the boat duo were playing with - were the cards around before they appeared or did they bring them with them?

I take it as granted that the boat is Dharma and this is just to cement that?

But then all the food and majority of the stuff in the Other's homes had the Dharma logo on. Meaning a strong possibilty that them cards have been on the Island a long time.

Originally posted by Frankie:

Possibly but I can't remember other island members playing cards - as always no-one can answer definitively... icon_biggrin.gif

Sawyer and Jack played a game of poker way back, in season 1 or 2 iirc. Kate walked over and insisted they should just measure theircock-size, but in a more feminine way \o/

Wether they were Dharma cards though, Im not sure.

Archived