What will happen in new patch reguarding weymouth?

Why on earth should Rushden play a crap team? It's not their fault that Weymouth are in debt!! Rushden should be going all out for the win. Goal difference might be vital at the end of the season.

If I was a Rushden fan and we 'went easy' on them I'd be mightily peeved off especially if we could have gone somewhere at the end of the season with goal difference!!!!!!!!!!

The fact is that Rushden are miles off where their fans expect them to be. If they're going to make the playoffs, goal difference could well be important. For that reason, it makes sense to aim for the biggest possible winning margin.

I would have thought if Weymouth does actually fold though, the result today would be irrelevant, as most likely the league will discount all their results from the final standings. Wasn't it the same when Maidstone folded, a good few years back after getting into the football league?

There's a thread on this in the football forum. Seems that there's been talk in the past about a merger with Dorchester Town. Obviously if this was to happen, it would have to wait until next season. Might be the only option.

i have been told that the rushden players were encouraging these kids to carry on so fair play to them for that also heard that the weymouth fans stayed and gave these kids a standing ovation at the end of the match so fairplay to them

Hardly good sportsmanship if rushden decided to play a full strength team. It would be a show of solidarity for Weymouth if R+D played their youth as well. As it stands, it's just them taking advantage of a team who are struggling with crippling debt. Not fair play at all IMO.

Absolute rubbish. Rushden, and indeed any team, should play to win each game.

OK then, merely expressing my views, I realise all teams should play to win but there has to be sportsmanship. I refer you to the case of Leicester vs Nottingham Forest when Clive Clarke had a heart attack, on the replay city allowed Notts to score a goal, returning the score to what it was when the game was called off. Gestures like that in the game are much lauded and I think would be remembered a long time after rushden's 09/09 season.

OK then, merely expressing my views, I realise all teams should play to win but there has to be sportsmanship. I refer you to the case of Leicester vs Nottingham Forest when Clive Clarke had a heart attack, on the replay city allowed Notts to score a goal, returning the score to what it was when the game was called off. Gestures like that in the game are much lauded and I think would be remembered a long time after rushden's 09/09 season.

And if I'd have been betting on Leics or a Leics player to score first I would have sued!!!

Its not amateur football!

yes but i what i mean is that all the other teams had to play against pros
Think about that in a totally different context. If a team happens to suffer a large number of injuries at the same time and has a significantly weakened squad as a result, some teams have had to play against the full-strength squad, others have had to play against the weakened squad. Should the ones fortunate enough to play the weakened squad be punished for that? What has happened to the other team is not their fault, after all.

As a Rushden fan, I think I ought to mention that this was our first game under a caretaker manager who is hoping to get the job permanently after the departure of the unlamented Garry Hill. So he needs some good results. That may go part way towards explaining the choice of a full strength squad.

A few seasons ago, when we lost our 'sugar daddy', because of the losses being made by Doc Martens, when we were in League One we had the heart ripped out of our squad towards the end of the season. As a result we lost a huge number of games in a row, were relegated and started the downward spiral which sees us where we are now. Teams showed no sign of fielding weakened sides against us - had they done so we would probably have got the 3 or 4 extra points which we needed to stay up. That wouldn't have been fair on the team which would have gone down in our place. If we'd played a weakened side against Weymouth and they ended up escaping relegation by a small goal difference.......

Financially, the club is on very thin ice still, in spite of a new chairman, partly because of poor home gates as the result of Mr Hill's relative lack of success. The club needs to start some positive momentum if crowds are to come back and we are to survive ourselves, so it's not at all surprising that the caretaker manager will do everything in his power to start getting the results we need. If winning 9-0 rather than 2-0 or 3-0 gets a few extra fans into Nene Park for the next home match then that's a start.

We are sorry for Weymouth (by coincidence, Garry Hill was manager there for some time) but we have to look after our own interests.

what the???

what happened with weymouth only under 18's left

not a nice way to get your first cap in english soccer 9-0

They can't afford to pay wages.

Looks like I've thrown a tenner down the drain. I have twenty shares worth nothing :(

To whoever argued on the contrary, it is fair that Rushden field a full strength team. When a club is in that league, it has a responsibility to pay its player and manage its finances. Rushden should not have to risk sacrificing three points because of incompitence on another clubs behalf.

And if I'd have been betting on Leics or a Leics player to score first I would have sued!!!

Its not amateur football!

Bookies paid out for both 3-1 and 3-2 as well as first goalscorer being a Forest or Leicester player ;)

as a fan of the newly reformed FC Halifax Town i think its fair for me to put my opinions in on this matter

if our problems had got so bad it the middle of last year we had to play the youths i would fully expect the other teams to be full strength, its like expecting the big 4 to play there reserves against Derby last year because they were crap

feel sorry for Weymouth, but speaking from experiance reforming is the way to secure a long term future no matter how much it hurts at the time

And goal difference could come into play in the unlikely scenario Rushden and Diamonds become playoff or relegation candidates (they are mid-table, relatively safe, as are Weymouth).

Well it's odd, but when Rushden got relegated from League One like I mentioned above they were in almost exactly the same sort of league position as Weymouth are now - safe mid table (can't for the life of me remember the exact spot). We then sank like a lead balloon hardly picking up a point for the last bit of the season. I think it was something like this - we needed about 4 points to be safe and picked up just 2 in a dozen matches - this isn't exact but it was that sort of situation.

You are quite right of course - even if we leave out the possibility of us going into the playoff places, if I supported a side which was relegated on goal difference instead of Weymouth at the end of the season I wouldn't feel very charitable towards sides which had gone easy on them!

This is why monwy needs distributing better by the FA. Someone said earlier that football will be a mess in 10 years time, i completely agree. This credit crunch will sort a lot of things out and i dont think were too far away from seeing a bigger club in financial difficulty, but thats just my opinion. Wages and transfer fees etc are unsustainable at the current level and are greatly favouring the higher leagues. To put it in perspective, Kaka's reported wages if he moved to Man Citeh would have cleared Weymouths debt in 1 week. If every premier league club could donate 25,000 quid (the wage of a below average player for a week) then that would save them. The game is going mad and is only going one way at the moment.

Weymouth?

can someone tell me who weymouth is and what is their problem?

well it won't be the same in turkey but england has 5 professional FT leagues and 2 part-time leagues that are well known within england after that we have about 3-4 other leagues that don't get camera time

but anyway weymouth are in the 5th division or BSP and are in complete financial ruin

hmmmm interesting

here we just have 3 professional divisons and below them are called amateur divisions.

So i guess some of you are weymouth supporters. cool.

poor people though. it sux that they are in financial crisis.. nevertheless its a small budget team and many of them will be affected by the current global crisis.

hmmmm interesting

here we just have 3 professional divisons and below them are called amateur divisions.

poor people though. it sux that they are in financial crisis.. nevertheless its a small budget team and many of them will be affected by the current global crisis.

Four, actually. Premiership, Championship, League One and League Two. Below that, the teams are a mixed bunch of semi-professional and professional clubs at Blue Square Premier/North/South level. Although I guess one could have a semi-professional club within the Football League (or is that against regulations?).

Not sure if the credit crunch has contributed significantly to this, though. Weymouth were struggling for a while, just as many teams are.

hmmmm interesting

i'm not a weymouth supporter but i feel their pain

i'm a leeds utd fan and our club almost vanished until an 11th hour rescue now we are out of debt and making a steady profit

i'm not a weymouth supporter but i feel their pain

i'm a leeds utd fan and our club almost vanished until an 11th hour rescue now we are out of debt and making a steady profit

hey bro, i remember you guys relegated because of financial troubles right? in the last 90s u were doing well.. Hack you almost beat us in the semi final in UEFA cup in 2000...

Anyway, i really believe leeds should come back to the premier league

you guys used to rock in the 90s.

Kewell was in his prime, though he is still doing good with galatasaray, he is just not as speedy as he used to be.

hey bro, i remember you guys relegated because of financial troubles right? in the last 90s u were doing well.. Hack you almost beat us in the semi final in UEFA cup in 2000...

Anyway, i really believe leeds should come back to the premier league

you guys used to rock in the 90s.

Kewell was in his prime, though he is still doing good with galatasaray, he is just not as speedy as he used to be.

yeah financial mismanagement from peter ridsdale but it's in the past and we are moving on although we are struggling this season i do still believe we will get out next year

6 pointer on saturday against scunthorpe utd should be a great atmosphere

although you saying you hope we get back to the premiership is very nice because in england people generally hate us :p

I actually used to like watching Leeds in the David O'Leary era. Ken Bates just makes me dislike them (though I can understand why he hasn't much love for Gillingham tbf). He's still nothing more than a toxic midget.

Steering this slightly back OT Weymouth are set to play their Youth Squad for the remainder of the season. Not sure if its too late for the patch though.

And for all those debating whether Rusden were fair or not to field a full strength side, the Woking Boss has complained that the bigger issue at stake is the fact that they have already played a full strength Weymouth side twice this season.

Hardly fair I guess.

hello there everybody.

i see that news of our plight has reached you good people.

to answer somebody earlier yes we have a pretty hardcore following and we were there on saturday to watch us get beat 9-0 and we are proud of every single one of our youngsters who ran there heart out under impossible circumstances.

you can't fault Rushden for winning and scoring as many goals as they did, any team would have doen the same and their players were superb, encourageing our youngsters to keep going till the end and they even applauded our boys off.

as for our plight, yes we are in serious trouble and we as honest football supporters are fighting with everything we have to keep our club alive. we have been overwhelmed with support from clubs and real fans up and down the country have been superb with offering us encouragement and luck.

if anybody out there is reading this and has a couple of quid spare please visit this site...

http://www.saveourclub.co.uk/

we will assure you we are fighting as hard as we can and we fuly intend on being in the next and every other version of Football Manager.

thanks for reading.

jamjars, may I, as a Rushden fan, extend to you the real sympathy which, I am sure, all our fans feel for Weymouth's situation. As I've said in an earlier post, we've been there ourselves - not as badly hit as you, but badly enough.

Keep your spirits up!

thanks rupal.

it is so hard not knowing the future etc and knowing that the u18 team are playing York away on saturday and knowing we are likely to take another hammering. it's not going to be the best away journey i have ever made i can assure you.

like i said we are still fighting for our club and will do everything in our power.

like i said please visit http://www.saveourclub.co.uk/

and if anybody had time please spread the word

On one sideI feel sorry for the Weymouth fans, but on the other I don't feel sorry for the club.

Weymouth have been trying to live beyond their own means for a few years now. They nearly folded 2 years ago. I think it is a case of ploughing too much money into short term gain without seriously looking at the long term.

A future planned on ifs and buts is a recipe for disaster, just ask Luton Town!

• Administrators

As sad as it is, and yes I agree it is somewhat unsporting, but would you suggest that England played a team of League Two players against Andorra or something just to level the playing field?

The big problem is the Premier League's independence from the FA and Football League. Had the FA got full control, then perhaps the money wagon that is the EPL could filter money down the leagues a lot more than currently to help the lower sides.

This is a sad reality unfortunately for Weymouth, more clubs will be on the way. Could we eventually see the end to Conference to FL promotion to ensure things like this and Luton doesn't sour the football and league experience?

i just wanted to point out that the people that made bets on us to lose on saturday weren't weymouth fans there may have been a few in the weymouth area but we have 70000 people that live in weymouth and they aren't all weymouth fans, but most of them do read the local rag and would have realised that we had no chance before the bookies did.

unfortunatly a few lazy journolists have picked up on this and without doing the proper research seem to have run with the story. it hasn't done too much damage to our cause but it is important to me that you guys know that we would never ever bet against our team!!

That instance is understandable and rightly, Leicester were applauded for their actions. However, it's completely different from the Weymouth v Rushden situation.

Put it this way... if you were a Rushden fan, would you have been happy if your manager had fielded and under strength side and risked not winning the match?

Archived