Preseason Tour?

I often hear about the benefits of preseason tours through foreign lands in that they help with merchandising and increasing your stature abroad, but they seem impossible to pull of within the confines of the game. I've never made a preseason tour work because the leagues in target locations like North America or Asia play through the summer in such a way that no club will ever accept what would only serve to tire out their players already playing twice a week. It's incredibly difficult to feel out the calendar in a way that even lets you propose any matches, and then they're all rejected anyway. In real life the MLS shifts games around to accommodate all sorts of cups and things, for example, but obviously we don't have that capability in this context. So my question is, how do you do it?

I thought that's what 'training camp' was ... i.e. if I choose China, my team play several friendlies vs Chinese teams whilst on the training camp.

On a sub question same theme... Are the benefits tangible... i.e. if I get to choose between China, Portugal or USA does it matter which I choose.. the drop down never gives any information about finance or reputation, so I assume it doesn't matter which I choose.

I'm a bit confused by these as well. I will accept an invitation, but then all that happens is I'll have 1 or 2 matches on my schedule against teams from that country. But that's it, it doesn't tell you when you're actually on the tour aside from that.

So I'll then just schedule some home friendlies around them which seems odd because shouldn't I be in the US or wherever? It'd be nice it was more clear. Ok X team has deprated for their US tour, they'll be facing so and so on these dates, etc.

for the States, even if you play the small local teams you still get a message at the end of season that the tour has been effective and increased revenue

the players in your first team become unavailable for reserves or youth games because they are on tour, same as a training camp

a training camp gives different benefits, mainly to tactical cohesion and fitness. it will not effect your merch sales

50 minutes ago, lemeuresnew said:

for the States, even if you play the small local teams you still get a message at the end of season that the tour has been effective and increased revenue

the players in your first team become unavailable for reserves or youth games because they are on tour, same as a training camp

a training camp gives different benefits, mainly to tactical cohesion and fitness. it will not effect your merch sales

But how do you schedule anything in the States when they're already playing twice a week? They never accept anything.

On 2/6/2017 at 17:30, lemeuresnew said:

i have always found smaller clubs to schedule. the size of the clubs really doesnt make a difference as far as i can tell. 

Don't you lose a lot of money that way, though?

no, if anything you save money! smaller clubs are cheaper to play  :)

i could be wrong, but i still get the same message regardless of the bigger or smaller teams. i do prefer better teams, and more competitive games so always try to find a balance by having better teams for friendlies at home

it is also worth checking the teams near by option, some times you can pick up good teams to play that are also touring or at a training camp

4 hours ago, lemeuresnew said:

no, if anything you save money! smaller clubs are cheaper to play  :)

i could be wrong, but i still get the same message regardless of the bigger or smaller teams. i do prefer better teams, and more competitive games so always try to find a balance by having better teams for friendlies at home

it is also worth checking the teams near by option, some times you can pick up good teams to play that are also touring or at a training camp

I still can't understand how you could plan any match with any MLS or Chinese team at all, though, when they already play twice a week, and I think it would be interesting to be able to plan tours in a way that actually cause the other club to change their schedule. You could get an inbox invite to join something like the International Champions Cup, for example.

in fm15 you would get invited to tournaments in your first year, if i remember rightly. might of been the year before too. 

5 hours ago, Weston said:

I still can't understand how you could plan any match with any MLS or Chinese team at all, though

you basically play university teams, or teams not in the mls. so the scheduling stops being an issue if that makes sense?

agree it would be nice to do it properly

• 11 months later...
4 hours ago, Weston said:

I just did a preseason tour in Eastern Asia and nothing happened - aren't you supposed to get a message about revenue or stats or something afterwards?

what feeder teams you have in East Asia? 

to point out the obvious though, East Asia is not a country. and you obviously dont have teams in every country in East Asia selling your gear. I have never got this message doing a tour of an area and not a country myself

9 hours ago, lemeuresnew said:

what feeder teams you have in East Asia? 

to point out the obvious though, East Asia is not a country. and you obviously dont have teams in every country in East Asia selling your gear. I have never got this message doing a tour of an area and not a country myself

Just Guangzhou, which I didn't play because I would've lost money. So you only get the benefits of a preseason tour if you play in a solitary nation..? What's the point of this at all?

22 hours ago, Weston said:

Just Guangzhou, which I didn't play because I would've lost money. So you only get the benefits of a preseason tour if you play in a solitary nation..? What's the point of this at all?

dont know what the point is, just how it seems to work for me at least

on the other hand of course, how can you make money if you are worrying about losing a few quid playing a team you pay yearly to advertise your club? why bother with having that affiliation at all?

1 hour ago, lemeuresnew said:

dont know what the point is, just how it seems to work for me at least

on the other hand of course, how can you make money if you are worrying about losing a few quid playing a team you pay yearly to advertise your club? why bother with having that affiliation at all?

I don't play them yearly, I didn't even know we were affiliated til I looked it up. I assume it has something to do with having Chinese owners.

Archived