Arsenal all the way to Glory: An Experiment with a New Way of Using Assistant Managers in FM

Unfortunate little stumble here. Nothing to worry too much about though, I think.

Ishak looks good. He'll never pose the aerial threat that Eduardo poses, though. Something to consider. No real rush on E da S's replacement.

Keep it coming, Cool Hand. It's rather dreary outside, and I'm having a little trouble staying alert at work, here. Updates are keeping me on my toes.

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As luck would have it, it was a repeat of that last game in our next match, as City visited Emirates again for the League Cup Quarter-Final.

I wrote up a huge match report from the league cup which then got deleted by accident, so I will sum up the recent events in bullet points with a couple of screenshots:

Before the league cup quarter final, Arsenal or Man City drew Doncaster in the semi-final, and Arsenal drew Colchester in the FA Cup 3rd round.

League Cup Match

Concurrently there were premiership games – and a Liverpool defeat means that, with games in hand over several teams, we’re looking much healthier in the league now, despite a big deficit to Chelsea.

League Table

Valencia at home next, and a draw will confirm Arsenal winners of Champions League Group B. But that's probably going to be it for tonight, folks. I might get one or two more posts in but I have a lot to do!

JR - cheers for that - yeah its true that he doesnt pose the aerial threat that Eduardo does, and Vela's only 5'9, but surprisingly, he scores a fair few goals with his head....we'll have to see. Its just a thought, lets see what my scouts think.

...and actually, at 5'10, it's not like Eduardo's a giant. Vaughan and Adrian are actually my biggest strikers at 5'11, though Gyan can play up front too, and he's 6'1. We dont have a tall team though. Diaby is 6'2, and the tallest in the current team (Garay at 6'2, Hart at 6'3 and Mertesacker at 6'6 are the only three who are taller than him in the squad), and we have 7 players under 6ft - i dont think height's necessarily a big issue. And as i said, Vela does score some with his head...

Unlucky in the league, that happens sometimes. But good job in the cup icon14.gif

I dont think that height actually makes much difference, theres more importance put on jumping and heading, and Ishaks jumping is only 8. If Caicedo starts as Basel, are you using the original patch? If so, then Aaritalo is meant to be a beast! Maybe have a look at him. Has Saivet come along much aswell? He usually gets quite good:

Saivet 2011

Evidently, height is a purely cosmetic quality in FM. Jumping and heading are, seemingly, what are relevant. Which is why Vela excels in the air. And I think Asamoah is one of the best target men in the game. Much better than on the wing.

13.12.11 ARSENAL v Valencia

Just a draw needed to top the group here. Had a look at Gyan before the game – he does look quite good – pace 17, dribbling 18, strength 15...might be worth a look. Ineligible for this game though, and at 26, he’s not much younger than Eduardo so...

Adebayor had the first chance of the game, going close for the visitors against his old club. After that Arsenal had a short spell of pressure, and that set the tone – alternating between Valencia pressure and Arsenal pressure for most of the half. Eduardo had the best chance on the stroke of half-time, going through on the keeper but putting his shot wide.

2nd half started just as the first ended with Eduardo squandering another decent chance following a one-on-one. However 10 minutes into the half, Fernandes and Moutinho combined to give Adebayor a clear shot at Pouplin’s goal which he didn’t miss. After an hour Diaby made way for Vaughan as we chased an equalizer. However, apart from a speculative effort by Vela, Valencia had all the chances, though they never quite managed to extend their lead. A disappointing result, but it’s not the end of the world.

FINAL SCORE ARSENAL 0 – 1 Valencia

14.12.11 Classifieds: Prem

Man City 1 – 0 Newcastle

17.12.11 Classifieds: Prem

Early: Man Utd 3 – 0 Leeds

Birmingham 1 – 0 Bolton

Chelsea 4 – 0 Watford

Liverpool 0 – 0 Reading

Portsmouth 3 – 2 Aston Villa

Scunthorpe 1 – 1 Man City

West Ham 2 – 1 Fulham

Late:

17.12.11 ARSENAL v Blackburn

Suspended Sakho replaced by Eduardo da Defender, and Vela got a rest in favour of Gyan. I can’t drop Eduardo in his current form, though Gyan is more a replacement for him than Vela. However, they combined within the first minute, Gyan putting Eduardo through for the opening goal after just 22 seconds. Arsenal continued to dominate, but a 2nd goal proved elusive until the 35th minute when Gyan and Eduardo combined again to give Eduardo his 2nd goal. 2-0 at half-time and it was comfortable. Gyan’s performance was particularly encouraging. With 20 minutes to go, Di Maria was replaced by Vela, the thinking that it might be an option for a while to play Vela on the left and Gyan on the right, as Vela’s not been as free-scoring this year. 12 goals in 22 starts is good, but not outstanding. And he can clearly cross – 6 minutes to go, and he produced perhaps the cross of the season, on the turn, for Gyan to head home from 2 yards to round off perhaps the best performance of the season, and given the new strike partnership, certainly the most encouraging.

FINAL SCORE ARSENAL 3 – 0 Blackburn

Here’s the table. It really is looking healthier and healthier, and there’s plenty of time to catch Chelsea and make a real title challenge still...

18.12.11 Classfieds, Prem

Ipswich 2 – 2 Everton

Newcastle 1 – 0 Tottenham

21.12.11 Everton v ARSENAL

Sakho’s return from injury saw him replace Gerson, not Eduardo, who was doing well. Gyan also retained his place after an excellent first game of the season. This was Cesc’s 250th league appearance for Arsenal. Still only 24, O’Leary’s record of 558 is definitely within the realms of possibility.

Eduardo and Gyan continued to do well in partnership – Gyan had the first chance after about 20 minutes, but it was Di Maria who was to open the scoring, pouncing on the rebound of a fierce shot from Diaby, saved by Stubhaug. After 33 minutes, you-know-who got his 30th goal of the season – remember it’s not yet January – placing a shot into the bottom corner very nicely. 50+ goals this season for Dudu? Possible...

In the 2nd half, Everton got an early goal to reduce the arrears, a really bad mistake from Pouplin as Scott Brown’s shot should have been a routine save. But no equalizer ever looked likely, and Eduardo ended any doubts after 84 minutes with his 2nd goal of the game, his 13th in 8 games. The only question left was whether he could make it three hat-tricks in that period, which would be pretty amazing. Though he did threaten a fair bit, that goal wasn’t forthcoming. In stoppage time, Gabriel Obertan brought the deficit back to a single goal, but it was far too late to threaten the outcome.

FINAL SCORE Everton 2 – 3 ARSENAL

Just to think, I came close to selling Eduardo last summer!

The Champions’ League draw gave us a tie against Bayern. They have some decent players – Alex (the one currently at Chelsea, but he’s much better now), Schweinsteiger, Craig Gordon, Podolski etc...wont be easy, but could have been harder too.

26.12.11 ARSENAL v Aston Villa

A big game here against my closest challengers for 2nd place. Nani made it more difficult after just 7 minutes by getting himself sent off for a horrible elbow, and Villa took the lead after 12 minutes, Zarate rising to head above Pouplin, and knock the ball in as it cannoned back off the bar. Eduardo and Gyan combined to get close to pulling it back, before Gyan did score the equalizer a few minutes later at the 2nd opportunity after his first shot was saved by Marshall. All in all, I was quite pleased to go into the break level.

Ten-man Arsenal came out firing for the 2nd half, and had a couple of decent chances in the first five minutes. But after 70 minutes, the 2nd goal had not come, and Di Maria was sacrificed for Vela, along with Veloso on for Alves, and we switched to 3-1-2-1-2, with Eduardo slotting into the defence. But the final score of 1-1 was probably fair, and given the early loss of Nani, combined with a rare off-day for Eduardo da Striker, it’s not a bad result.

FINAL SCORE ARSENAL 1 - 1 Aston Villa

26.12.11 – Classifieds: Prem

ARSENAL 1 – 1 Aston Villa

Birmingham 2 – 1 Tot***ham

Chelsea 6 – 2 Reading

Ipswich 4 – 1 Fulham

Liverpool 0 – 0 Blackburn

Man Utd 4 – 0 Bolton

Newcastle 1 – 2 Everton

Portsmouth 1 – 0 Man City

Scunthorpe 2 – 4 West Ham

Watford 3 – 2 Leeds

Those results meant that United leap-frogged us into 2nd, a point ahead, and now 11 points behind Chelsea, it looks like the title might well be going to West London, though there’s still time for that to change. Scunthorpe, Leeds and Watford are looking in trouble, on 9, 7 and 7 points respectively, with Everton in 17th on 17.

Good results. A point from the Villa game is good enough.

Nani, as ~Ian~ says, probably could use a 2 week fine for the straight red. It seems a bit harsh, but I'd then follow with a two week fine for violent conduct (wait 'til the ban is extended for this). It's important to send a message about these things.

I agree with discipline, but a two week fine is a bit harsh unless it is a second or third offense. If it isnt the first time he has done it, then throw the book at him!

Di Maria looks good for you! Could we perhaps have a screenie of Gyan just to have a look?

KUTGW icon14.gif

Hey all. Got my shiny new computer which should allow faster updates, but I have hit a snag - i tried to transfer the game on a USB stick but it didnt work - it started loading but then stopped/crashed. I have a feeling its because it isnt patched on here (and my game is) - would that fix the problem?

Hey all. Got my shiny new computer which should allow faster updates, but I have hit a snag - i tried to transfer the game on a USB stick but it didnt work - it started loading but then stopped/crashed. I have a feeling its because it isnt patched on here (and my game is) - would that fix the problem?

Yes, yes it would.

i have just installed the patch and the game is working. however, i also installed some shiny new patches - my instinct tells me to start over, and see if we can build again from scratch, having learnt lessons from the first time? Plus this time we'd be able to go from the start...what do people think?

If you start a new game, you will do better, but you will have a pretty similar Arsenal team to every one else who plays as them - because they only need strengthening in certain areas.

What you have here is such a different team that it gives different challenges.

In the end its up to you though mate, see what other have to say if you want, but its your game

Uh, I don't really care. We'll give you advice and enjoy it either way.

One fun thing that I did was that I downloaded an England quick start off the Internet from a 2023 save game and am having a great time with it (the person who uploaded it went unemployed for 15 years then uploaded the quicksave, I think). Arsenal starts off with Micah Richards, Carlos Vela, and some unfamiliar faces. Fabregas just retired from Real Madrdid. Denilson's at Roma and Theo Walcott is at Preston. Rhys Murphy has turned into an unbelievable striker with a finishing of 18 or 19 for Preston. Everyone else who currently plays for Arsenal retired a while ago. Interesting.

7.7.07 Initial Club Analysis

So...starting again. Had a look at the starting squad again for the first time in a while. Have had some thoughts about who to prune. Obviously if i can shift the likes of Lehmann, Hoyte, Gilberto and possibly Song/Senderos for any money, I will. But beyond that most of the squad is retainable. I've learnt my lesson and will be keeping hold of Messrs Traore, Sagna etc. We probably need a 'keeper, a winger and a centre back for now, and perhaps an out-an-out striker? What do you think? My first act as manager was to fire Pat Rice and get Tony Adams in once again. I told the board i felt up to a title challenge which meant excess funds (with all spare wage budget shifted to transfers) of £65m.

Any thoughts on my thoughts here? Lets get this working properly this time.

Does anyone know a nice, easy-on-the-eye, light skin, which maximises use of logos? This skin isnt working that well on this new pc. The most important problem is that on the "selection", theres no longer a star-ratings column, whihc i find very useful. Can anyone tell me a good skin to use with all this in mind?

Few bids have been put in for various useful players:

Hugo Lloris (£6m) - Pouplin isnt in this game for some reason, despite a bigger db than the last game...

ATex (£5.25m) - Useful player and is only 17. I like him!

I had a think and decided I didnt really need an out-and-out striker with Eduardo being so good - remember he was getting close to breaking Henry's record in my last game! However, if i can find a decent back-up i might go for it - Vaughan if i can get him cheap, or perhaps Adrian? Any thoughts would be lovely icon_smile.gif

I think you can probably skip the striker for now. As has been discussed, Arsenal is stacked in that regard. You're probably better off concentrating on picking up the perfect players at GK, CB, and winger, if those are your target players.

What are you planning regarding tactics?

I am an enthusiastic proponent of the Mourinho-style 4-5-1, personally. I think it works wonders, especially in the 4-4-2 dominated EPL. Aren't you flush with MCs, too?

Bid for Lloris was rejected so I upped it to £7.5m - he's a good 'keeper and without Pouplin in the game, I dont know of many better. The ATex offer, however, was accepted. He's played one game for Vasco this season, scored and got an 8! Looks a good player again and TA gave his backing.

Whole bunch of offers to take Alex Song on loan, and I accepted one from Deportivo. Next day, ATex accepted the contract offer, and he now just needs a work permit which he should get.

Sorry JR - cant stand not playing with 2 strikers. I'm a 4-4-2 man and always will be. Variations on that, and the occasional switch to 3-1-4-2.

Bloodbore - Gallas I will keep for now, and ATex was discussed at length in the old thread - Alex Teixeira.

Cool, just loaded up my old Arsenal game - I tend to flit between saves a lot - and its at the start of the 2nd season. I won the league 1st season with these signings

BTW, just signed ATex myself, try training him like your strikers in this game maybe, as if you can get his finishing and composure up early, he can become really good. Also, remember he is a -9, so he may not be as good, or he may be much better!

Yeah, 4-4-2 works with Arsenal, I have 1CM with more defensive instructions and 1with more attacking, but then have a big team away tactic with 1up - Adebayor.

I play him, but in rotation with Van Persie and Bojan last season. He ended with 10 in 27, but has 2 in 2 so far, and I just sold RVP to Inter for 30 plus 50% and buy back. Who sees 7.5mil profit if I need a striker icon_biggrin.gif

RVP is a good striker, hes just rather injury prone, so I dont like to pin any hopes on him. When Adebayor got injured for me, we really struggled. I cant reccommend Santana enough at 6m. Bargain for that money.

Saivet, Sakho, Sankhare and Barkroth are must buys. They get awesome.

Archived