Arsenal all the way to Glory: An Experiment with a New Way of Using Assistant Managers in FM

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ATex’s attributes. To be fair, they’re not as good as his stats suggest, but he’s a very consistent performer. The two seasons when he’s played over 20 games, he’s got 7.38 (07-08) and 7.30 (10-11). I think most of those were on the wing, though as I’ve said, when Vela’s injured, he does well as a support striker too...but he’s not as good as Vela in that position.

Latest friendly – Sergio Mota backing up my view that he should be kept rather than Aissati. I actually moved Aissati down to the reserves. Disappointing displays from Vanden Borre and Dutra though. Trying to get Dutra a short term move at the moment.

Sidnei moved off to Espanyol on loan. Have a feeling he’s going to make it, and some experience playing regularly cant hurt. I have, incidentally, told the other young Brazilian centre back, Gerson, that he could learn a lot from Richards. He really is pushing for a first team spot and will get games this year, no doubt. Have also taken the farrows off my full backs. Does anyone disagree with that? I’ve always liked full backs who get forward, especially as its one of Alves’ strengths, but I suppose Sakho will be more confortable without having to get up and down...for the moment he’s my first choice left back, though Eduardo and Pocognoli will push him, and I’m now on the lookout for a top quality left-back. Will report on my findings shortly. I’m also going to look for a winger, but I refuse to sign a top quality one – we have plenty. I just want a little more back-up – Simpson and Aissati aren’t really up to it. Jay has followed Aissati down to the 2nd string, though decent performances might see him promoted sooner rather than later. I also sent Gyan down to the reserves until he gets fit, leaving me with only Nani, Boukari, ATex, Mota, and Carlton on the wings, though of course Vela, Eduardo da Defender, Alves and Pocognoli are all capable of playing there too. The instant name that comes to mind to get in as an extra winger is Ryan Babel, who is actually an Arsenal fan (according to the game), and might be available fairly cheap. I put in a £10m bid for him.

Zeefuik also left on loan, to Villarreal. I think he’ll be a hit there, and is a definite candidate to replace Eduardo long term....though Mr. Vaughan might have something to say about that too!

My squad as it stands, with all loanees hidden.

My First Choice 18 (for now anyway). Remember, Eduardo can even play on the left wing – its his versatility that wins him a space on the bench instead of (probably) Rakitic or Adrian. By the way, is there any limit to how many pics you can upload to photobucket? Notice that the farrows have gone from the full backs as suggested. Not quite sure how Alves will perform in that system though...its bound to suit Sakho more as a defensive-minded full back. Any thoughts from anyone? I was tempted to put Veloso in for Diaby, but I did that two years ago and it was harsh then – Diaby is a good player and deserves his place – consistently AvRing at well over 7. Plus Veloso can then deputise either at DC or MC...

Nooooo!

You should only be signing top notch players. Your squad has depth, even at wing. You just need another (as ATex is clearly here to stay) potential first choice. Don't sign anyone who isn't an instant starter or a youngster. You'll just end up transferring them later or letting them languish on the bench. Quality, not quantity!

ATex does look like a solid winger, by the way. Looks like you're right, too, about him being ill-suited to striker. I retract my ATex related bullying. icon_biggrin.gif

ATex is grateful for that JRH - and the only winger I'm thinking of getting is Babel, who will be able to provide cover for both wings and up front. If you're happy with ATex and Nani, I dont need a first choice winger!

Richards and Gerson both reacted well to my suggestion that they worked together. Good thinking, that. Champions League qualifiers gave me a nice easy one against MTZ-Ripo of Belarus, or, more likely, Hajduk Split of Croatia, who won the first leg 2-0 in Belarus. Loads of people want Fabianski, by the way, but I’d just have to find another 3rd choice ‘keeper and I don’t want the hassle, so I’m keeping him. Babel bid was rejected but I have money and not many players needed so I upped the bid to £12.5m. Senderos isn’t going anywhere after snubbing a move from Brum as a move in the wrong direction. Phillippe – from Arsenal, you’re not going to be moving up in the world if you’re not playing for the first team! Oh well, if he wants to rot in the reserves here its his choice but he cant complain that he’s not getting first team action!

Community Shield now. Come back soon for a report!

Happy with ATex and Nani, sure, but just based on what you have now. I think

I think he's a good player, just not quite as good as the players you have around him. Babel is a viable option, but I bet you can find better.

As far as fullbacks go, as you're in 2011, it's hard to say. Have your scouts uncovered anyone at LB who they feel is worth looking at. I'd guess, based on your weakness at that position, that they've been recommending LBs, no?

7.8.11 ARSENAL v Man Utd – Community Shield

Sent out the team as shown in the earlier post. Harsh on quality player Veloso, but it would be really unfair to drop Diaby again...he’s been so consistent. United’s squad is still very much intact: their 18 included only 5 players not at United at the moment in real life (Ochoa, Menez and Pazzini plus Diego and Ben Arfa on the bench), and one player who is a youth currently (Ben Amos).

New England boss Stuart Pearce was at his “home ground†for the game. He saw a fabulous opening goal, with Diaby finding a magical ball for Eduardo to latch onto, spin, and side-foot past Ochoa. He had a 2nd shot well saved by the Mexican shortly afterwards, and Vela had a decent-ish chance too. Arsenal were dominating Man Utd. By half time we’d had 10 shots (7 on target) to United’s 2 (1). It had been a good half.

Soon after half-time, Cesc had to go off. Lets hope its not serious. Veloso came on for his debut. Capable replacement methinks, though with Diaby alongside him there might be a lack of creativity....we’ll see. Just a few moments later, a 2nd injury hit, and Carlton came on for Nani. A good experience at Wembley for the young lad. But this was a turning point, and United seemed destined to equalize. Rosicky really should have scored with 20 minutes to go, but from the resulting break, Diaby got the ball, passed to Eduardo, who crossed for Vela in the centre, only for Pique to intercept and put it into his own goal. Then, just three minutes later, Vela made the game safe with an exquisite, Henry-like free-kick from 20 yards. With 5 minutes remaining, Rosicky put a corner onto the head of Owen Hargreaves, but it was only a consolation goal, that much was obvious. I know its little more than a glorified friendly, but I’m taking this as a good sign of a better season ahead, hopefully during which we wont choke. Incidentally, I’m guessing you already do, but in case you don’t – if I say Eduardo, assume that means the striker unless I say otherwise!! I keep forgetting to add “da Strikerâ€!!!

FINAL SCORE ARSENAL 3 – 1 Man Utd AFC Scorers: Eduardo, Own Goal, Vela. Man of the Match: Eduardo.

Vukcevic is going off on loan to Mallorca. He’s become a bit of a forgotten man, but if he does well there this year I might see if I can fit him into the first team squad next time around. Cesc and Eduardo retained their positions as Captain and Vice-Captain for this year. Cesc is still being linked with Real, £63m the latest figure being speculated about.

After rejecting quite a few loan offers for Fabianski I decided that Premiership experience might be useful for him, but I didn’t want him involved in another relegation campaign so I rejected the bid from newly-promoted Leeds in favour of Bolton. West Ham had put in a bid earlier, but I had rejected it, though now I’d rather he went there. Oh well.

Latest Babel bid was rejected so I went up to £14.5m. Wont go any higher, but I think the fact that he’s an Arsenal fan is a good reason to pay a little over the odds. That seems to have a real impact.

Left backs – Jose Enrique of Spurs was given a tentative recommendation by Steve Rowley. I put in a small bid of just £7.5m. The better recommendation was Emiliano Insua of Liverpool who looks a class act. A £10m bid is in for him. Any more come up, I’ll let you know. Neither are perfect.

It will indeed be Hajduk Split in the Champions’ League qualifying round. The game against Bolton had to be re-arranged for Wednesday 7th Sept.

25 players registered for the qualifying stage of the Champions League – organized by PRIMARY position at time of writing – should give you a good idea of my best 25 players, though I’m never sure which ones to go for with this!

GOALKEEPERS

Fabianski

Hart

Pouplin

DEFENDERS

Garay

Richards

Sakho

Mertesacker

Alves

Eduardo da Defender

Vanden Borre

Pocognoli

Nordtveit (in front of Gerson purely due to the need for home-grown players)

MIDFIELDERS

Fabregas

Diaby

Nani

Boukari

ATex

Veloso

Carlton (Mota was going to pip Carlton to this spot but I needed an extra home grown player)

Sankhare (wanted Denilson above Dutra and Sankhare due to teamwork/work rate attributes of 20 but, again was short on home-grown players)

STRIKERS

Eduardo

Adrian

Vaughan

Vela

Too late for actual input now, but what do you think?

JRH = feel honour-bound to point out that i was a force in the UEFA CUP last year, not the Champions League!! But i agree, a bit more luck this year and we could get more trophies. We were certainly a bit unlucky in the league, choking at just the wrong time. Watch this space guys, just uploading some pics, then we have our first VOTE underway! Come back soon!

I’ve given up on Babel. I’m going to take your advice and see if I cant find a really top class winger – would be nice to have three.

I have some time so I want some input here: in the spirit of this thread. You all have until about August 21st in the game (its now August 13th) to vote for your favourite from this shortlist. That should give me enough time after that for me to bid for each in turn until I can get one of them for what I think of as a reasonable price.

1. Fernando Belluschi (who keeps doing well against us)

2. Christian Maidana

3. Sebastian Giovinco

4. Santi Cazorla

5. Niko Kranjcar

6. Bastian Schweinsteiger

7. Diego Valeri

8. Armand Traore (I know, I know...â€I told you so....â€, but it would be two in one – cover for left back and left wing)

Get voting! I’d say you’ve probably got about 20 minutes or half an hour or so, perhaps a little more.

Vukcevic completed his loan move to Mallorca today, and in the early kick-off, Chelsea beat Liverpool 1-0 with a goal from new signing Edison Cavani, who had moved on from Lyon after just one year for exactly the same price Lyon bought him for from Palermo (£13.5m).

13.8.11 Leeds v ARSENAL – Premiership

With the assistant managers left to ponder which winger we might sign in the near future, we started the league campaign in Yorkshire. The team was identical to the team that had started the Community Shield, Nani and Cesc both making full recoveries. The continuity in the team is nice this year – the only players making their league debuts today would do so off the bench if at all: Gerson (who has been at the club a while of course), Veloso and Vaughan.

Eduardo had two decent chances within the first minute, the first a one on one, the 2nd when the ball fell to him from a corner. He went close on both occasions, but the score remained 0-0. He did eventually open the scoring, however, with a contender for goal of the season – a bicycle kick diverting a corner from Cesc into the corner of the net! Wow! Wish I could’ve seen it – that’s one thing you cant really appreciate with the 2D engine...I think SI should include not a full 3D engine because that would be crap, but just the ability to see the very best highlights in 3D...1-0 at half time.

We kept creating chances. Eduardo could easily have had a hat-trick by half time and he had another good chance soon after the 2nd half began before another double effort just after the hour mark. But I was edgy with the score at 1-0 so I brought Vaughan on for ATex for his debut, with Vela moving wide – unusal but I wanted to make the game safe. Vela created a couple of good chances before Dean Marney held Cesc back in the box. Eduardo missed the penalty but converted the rebound, and the game was effectively over. With 5 minutes to go, Veloso came on for his league debut for the excellent Diaby. He had little time to make any impact, though in those last 5 minutes it seemed as if Vaughan should have been booked – the ref “was lenient on him†according to the engine – wonder if he knew that it was Vaughan’s debut and he would obviously be nervous? Anyway, solid start to the season, methinks.

FINAL SCORE Leeds 0 - 2 ARSENAL AFC Scorers: Eduardo 2. Man of the Match: Eduardo.

(Click the link for a match screenshot - is this the best one to give you? Would you like more than one? Remember, i'm always looking for ways to improve the way I do this thread...)

Classified Football Results (new feature!!):

Early Kick-off

Chelsea 1 – 0 Liverpool

Aston Villa 0 – 0 Fulham

Bolton 3 – 2 Portsmouth

Everton 4 – 4 Man City

Leeds 0 – 2 ARSENAL

Tottenham 2 – 0 Scunthorpe

Watford 1 – 2 Birmingham

Late Kick-off

Man Utd 4 – 2 West Ham

(later in the season I’ll post league table screenshots now and again, but obviously not worth doing just yet.)

Classified Results (14.8.11)

Reading 0 – 1 Newcastle

Blackburn 2 – 0 Ipswich

Keep feeding back on these sort of things – what you think of new things I try out, ideas for new ways to present information/what information you want to see. I want to make this as engaging as I can for you guys!

Both Insua and Enrique bids were rejected. I upped the Insua one to £13m. If I go for Insua then Im not sure its worth getting Traore back in, is it?

Anyway....

Classifieds – Prem (16.8.11)

Man City 2 – 0 Fulham

17.8.11 Hajduk Split v ARSENAL – Champs Lg Q3 L1

Once again I kept the same team. After 15 minutes, disaster struck, with Ivica Ilic opening the scoring for Hajduk from 25 yards, giving Pouplin no chance. 21 minutes in, we were really in trouble when Goran Solic found himself unmarked from a free kick to head home from 8 yards. This was turning into a potential embarrassment! Eduardo pulled one back shortly before half-time however, and it seemed normal service would be resumed. Still, I was disappointed with the lads and told them so. After an hour, it hadn’t really improved and I threw Vaughan on for Vela who had been particularly disappointing. Only three minutes later, Eduardo crossed onto Vaughan’s head for Jimmy to Open his Arsenal account, towering over the defender. Keeper should have saved it but a goal is a goal. 2-2 and a comeback, even against lowly Hajduk Split, is always welcome.

Arsenal strove for the goal that would complete the turnaround but it seemed we’d be frustrated until Diaby pounced on a mistake from a Hajduk defender, ran through the resultant gap in the defence, and blasted past the Hajduk ‘keeper. Two minutes later, Eduardo rounded things off, out-pacing the Split defence and curling a shot around the hapless Split goalkeeper. A good win in the end, it was a cause for concern until just before half-time, though.

FINAL SCORE Hajduk Split 2 - 4 ARSENAL AFC Scorers: Eduardo 2, Vaughan, Diaby. Man of the Match: Eduardo.

I repeat my question – is that screenshot the best one to use/enough information?

Classifieds – Prem (17.8.11)

Aston Villa 1 – 0 Ipswich

Blackburn 1 – 1 Newcastle

Chelsea 3 – 1 West Ham

Everton 1 – 1 Scunthorpe

Reading 1 – 0 Birmingham

Watford 0 – 2 Man Utd

Champs League Q3 – selected other results

AC Milan 5 – 0 Otelul

Basel 0 – 4 R Madrid

Dundee Utd 1 – 2 Fenerbahce

Juventus 2 – 1 Auxerre

Liverpool 2 – 0 B Jerusalem

PSV 1 – 1 FC Kobenhavn

Sevilla 6 – 0 Red Star Belgrade/Estrella Roja de Belgrad (!)

I’m going to turn in now, so you guys actually have some extra time to cast your votes. I’ll add them up when I get back to the game, and post the results when I’ve done it!

Originally posted by Luke Hearn:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Whats the crack with ATex or did you rename him?

not going to answer that old chestnut again! Read previous posts! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought that may be the case, I may just go through the pages and ctrl + f atex icon14.gif

Originally posted by Luke Hearn:

9.05.10 Arsenal v Derby - Premiership

For the final, probably meaningless league game of the season, RvP and Joe Hart had picked up injuries. Simpson and Fabianski came in on the right wing and on the bench respectively, and Adriano got a place on the bench too. Good news on the long-term injury front, though, as Nani and Alex Teixeira (hereafter ATex) resumed light training, and will be fully fit for the World Cup.

Insue would be my pick for LB, quality.

I think you need to be looking for a bit more from your wingers. The ones you suggested are close to the same quality you already have. Giovincio is the best of the bunch due to 20 for dribbling, but there has to be batter quality wingers out there! Personally, I would want at least 17's for Crossing, Dribbling, First touch, pace and acceleration. Babel is better as a striker too. How is Silva? Dont know how he will be at this stage in the game.

On Garay, he may have served you well, but he is lacking in key defensive stats. Having tackling at only 13 is just not good enough for a CB. Surely Sakho is better than him by now?

Also, Velsoso is amazing! To succeed, you have to be ruthless! Keeping Diaby as first choice despite his stats not being as good as Veloso's is madness except for the first few months (although Velosos adaptability is quite high if I remember).

If you dont have any good youthers coming through to take over, then I would suggest bringing in a load of 15-17 y/o to take over in 4-6 years. How is Martin Galvan looking btw? He could be Cescs successor, he is quality!

Fabianski went off to Bolton for the season. I took Stoma’s advnce and did a search for wingers with 17 at least in those attributes, and the only one in the whole game whose stats did match up with that is Silva. He’s only 25 so I made a bid of £40m. However, I don’t know how likely it is that will be accepted, so keep voting on the other ones. If nothing else, I need a bit of back-up.

I also put in a bid of £22m for Guardado of Liverpool, who lives up to the same search if you take the number down to 16, and Di Maria of Aston Villa, likewise (£13m). Even though that vote didn’t yield anything much, I will start doing some votes more often on big issues, so be prepared to cast votes quick as I’ll be more ruthless with my deadlines from now on!

As for the Veloso/Diaby issue – when Diaby loses form a bit, which he will, I’ll bring in Veloso. For now, Diaby is probably only behind Eduardo and Cesc in the formbook!

15-17 yr olds: not a bad idea, that, with loads of excess cash floating around. I sent my scouts out to various places with instructions to find players who were no older than 18 – we’ll see what they find. They’ve got all season, really, because theres no rush.

Archived