[FM10] My Call for Assistance

GreyedOutMan

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lol, nice :) - I'm guessing your going to be getting rid of Nasri/Arshavin now. My advice, Nasri. Arshavin imo is the key to our success IRL this season, so I'll obviously have a soft spot for him. But as your new signing is both A). A winger and B). Russian = Perfect tutorship for the lad. And if I was you I'd keep Arshavin on as long as you can, try get him to coach at Arsenal :p.

Arsenal, Season 2011-12

Summary

Very much a transitional season. The sale of Almunia is looking like a big mistake. There were far too many games when the team just didn’t turn up. Luckily it was tight this season – no-one really pulled away in any section of the league, and no issues were settled early. Even Birmingham and Newcastle, who went down with games to spare, were not cut loose until right at the end. Four consecutive league defeats in mid-March put an end to any title ambitions, ending in a toothless 2-1 defeat in a crucial game at Goodison Park at the end of the season was a prime example – a result that threatened to end our sequence of 14 consecutive appearance in the Champions’ League. See below for the climax.

Transfers

Almost entirely buys with the future in mind. Some duds, probably, to be honest. Boudebouz had a good start but faded away quickly. He might be a prospect for the next few years, although the form of certain other players might halt this We’ll see. No marquee signings, this year.

Competition Reports

Premiership

Well clearly a disappointing season. Yet again it was exciting going into the last day though – this was the table but Manchester United were playing Chelsea on that last day, which gave me hope of overhauling United. Liverpool were against Burnley so I didn’t have much hope there.

The Final Table this season. United’s last day draw against Chelsea and a routine 3-0 win for us over relegated (again) Newcastle gave us Champions’ League football yet again at the expense of the Red Devils!! Very few real surprises this season.

Notable results in the league this season for us included doing the double over Chelsea, a 2-0 win at Anfield and a 3-2 win over Burnley having been 2-1 down.

City continue to dominate the Premiership. Tevez’s 40 goals this season is exceptional again from the Argentinian – between him and Adebayor, they got 55 goals in the league alone (73 total). Even Barry scored 14 goals. Of their non-real life signings, only Aaron Lennon averaged over 7 this year, however, suggesting that their success could just be short lived. For £28m, Insua has been a complete flop. £20m signing this year, Guardado, was hopeless, AvR: 6.86. Meanwhile West Brom were the massive over-achievers this season, qualifying for the Europa League through their 7th placed finish.

The Champions’ League

Dropped only 2 points in the group, followed by a convincing win in Donetsk. In the Quarter Final, we were winning at Stamford Bridge in the 1st leg going into the last 10 minutes, before Alex and Dzeko turned it round, the latter in the 92nd minute! Real Madrid comprehensively taught Chelsea a lesson in the final with a 3-0 win.

The e.on FA Cup

Two replays was a real irritation, and the thumping at the hands of Chelsea was almost a relief. Having done the double against them in the league and been really unlucky against them in the Champions’ League, I suppose we were owed a drubbing. Was worth it for the six points we took off them in the league. I need to win a trophy soon though and this is a clear target next season.

The Carling Cup

An unnecessary distraction this year.

The squad.

With selected stats for all competitions, ordered by the amount of time they spent on the pitch – a rough guide to their importance to the team I suppose.

Key Players

Samir Nasri

Has almost been sold several times – one time I even got to the stage of the final confirmation before changing my mind. Repaid that faith emphatically this season – scoring like a striker, and his Average Rating was the best in the squad.

Bacary Sagna

Played all but one game this season, and spent over 8 hours more on the pitch than anyone else, goalkeepers included. Very consistent as usual, and deserves his place on this list for, I believe, this first time.

Vincenzo Iaquinta

Though his age is getting the better of him and restricted his time on the pitch this year, he still managed to be the club’s top goalscorer. That said, it was a season in which we struggled for goals a bit more than in others. There is a new striker on the way.

Carlos Vela and Denilson[/b]

Looking back, both of these two should have played more this season. They were both arguably the best players in their position this year (Nasri often played centrally). Good seasons from both and both will get more football next year I think.

Notable others:

Gael Clichy, very similar to Sagna, and had a higher rating, but missed some games which is why he’s here and not above.

Robin Van Persie scored a decent number of goals given his limited chances in the team. The arrival of Orlov, who looks a fantastic prospect, has limited his chances and he’s one of a few who could move on this summer.

Simon Rolfes finally stepped up to the plate. His Average Rating, whilst improved, doesn’t really reflect how important he has become to the team. He is, clearly, the reason why Denilson hasn’t had more games. That combined with Ramsey’s promise means that Cesc Fabregas might well move on this summer if I can get enough for him.

Peter Slater, the first regen to come through, made the goalkeeper slot his own in the 2nd half of the season following Fabianski’s departure. Martinez and Areola just don’t seem up to it, at least not yet. Might be forced to sign a keeper over the summer although I’ve been trying without success for a while now so it might just mean that Slater gets a chance next year, and perhaps he could be my keeper for 15 years?

Incidentally, though Slater is the first regen to come through,

Benik Afobe has been doing OK for us this season and has just been capped by Congo, scoring in the process. Watch out for him next year.

Other Squad Info

>>Cesc Fabregas came 2nd in the Players’ Player of the Year – to illustrate how little things have changed, he was sandwiched between Rooney and Gerrard!

>>Denilson scored the 3rd placed goal of the season.

>>Fabregas was selected in the Premiership XI.

>>Former player Kieran Gibbs was named as the worst signing of the season – guess that means I did well to get £7.5m for him!

>>Saxonaitor wouldn’t accept a new contract – so applications to be my new Assistant Manager would be welcome now (I’ll be getting someone in-game, but will want to “nickname” him after whoever has the best advice for me this season – that COULD be Saxonaitor again!).

Finances

Slightly misleading SCREENSHOT this year as a couple of transfers have gone through already and there is a big pot of money coming our way before the end of the month. But you get the idea – fairly stable.

Club Records and Awards

Highest Scoring League Game: 4-3 Reading (A) - PREM, 1st October

Most Games Without Conceding: 5 - 7th to 26th December

Most Games Without Scoring: 3 - 25th February to 13th March

Highest Transfer Income: £38m

Nasri won the Arsenal Fans’ Player of the Year.

MY team of the year:

Fabianski (who left in January)

Clichy-Senderos-Djourou-Sagna

Rolfes

Denilson-Fabregas

Nasri-Van Persie

Iaquinta

Subs: Slater, Bendtner, Gallas, Vela, Arshavin, Ramsey, Sakho

Overall XI. Djourou and Eduardo were the new additions, both only make the bench.

New Youth Cohort

Saxonaitor chose this guy as the best of the bunch, but it looks to me like Cox is a far better player!!

International

It was a 60/40 split in terms of the home nations, with three qualifying for the European Championships in Poland/Ukraine. England qualified easily – in 2nd place but with just 2 draws and 1 defeat from their 14 games. Ireland qualified with Holland above Sweden, and quite easily too. But Wales pulled off the biggest coup, qualifying in front of Croatia, along with group winners Spain. France won every single one of their 12 games, including a final round 2-1 win over Scotland which meant Scotland lost out in qualification to Greece. Although an Arsenal defender (Sagna) got the crucial goal, there was no hint of a former Arsenal player’s hand involved, it seems!!. Northern Ireland finished a distant fourth in their tough group which included Italy, Russia and Serbia, who were a little unlucky not to qualify – they even managed a point in Rome against Italy.

European Championships 2012 – Poland and Ukraine

Wales drew Spain once again – the same team they qualified with! And in their first game of the tournament…THEY DREW WITH THE HOLDERS! Quite an achievement. France beat Ireland in their opener before England kicked off that same group in style with a battle with the old enemy. Germany of course have no real players (licensing?), and it showed as Rooney (twice) and Gerrard scored the goals in an emphatic 3-0 win. In group D, Spain drew again, with Russia, but having got that point against the Spaniards, Wales contrived to lose 3-1 to Turkey to leave them needing a win over Russia to qualify.

France drew with England before Ireland knocked Germany out with a shock 2-1 victory. Stephen Hunt scored a famous last-minute penalty to deal the hammer blow. Group C was wide open, but Germany’s competition was drawing to a close.

The final tables:

Group A – ITALY, PORTUGAL, Dermark, Poland.

Group B – UKRAINE, HOLLAND, Greece, Czech Republic. Ukraine shocked the Czechs in the last game to qualify.

Group C – FRANCE, ENGLAND, Ireland, Germany. England cruelly beat the Irish to send them home. Germany left the tournament with no points and a goal difference of -8.

Group D – RUSSIA, SPAIN, Turkey, Wales. Wales failing to capitalise on their good start.

Quarter Finals

Italy 1 – 2 HOLLAND (aet)

Portugal 1 – 1 Ukraine (PORTUGAL win 4-1 on penalties)

Spain 1 – 2 FRANCE

Russia 2 – 3 ENGLAND

Semi Finals

HOLLAND 5 – 4 England

Portugal 2 – 2 France (FRANCE win 5-4 on penalties) (and Cristiano Ronaldo missed one!)

FINAL – you simply have to feel for the French.

Nasri and Van Persie were both in the team of the tournament.

Over to you, my wonderful assistants. Any thoughts on sales, signings, tactics or training? Any other aspect? This post itself? Let me know :-)

PRESS STATEMENT

Arsenal Manager GreyedOutMan has accepted the England manager's job following the retirement of Fabio Capello. GOM fully understands that Arsenal fans will be concerned about his level of commitment to the Gunners while he dabbles in international management, but he has made a commitment to Arsenal and will continue to run team affairs as before. He has set himself a goal of winning three trophies in the next four seasons including at least one league title.

As far as England is concerned, GOM feels that qualification for the World Cup shouldn't be a problem. Bulgaria, Bosnia, Poland, Belarus and the Faroe Islands means plenty of travelling, of course, but there are no teams there to be afraid of, and the 2014 World Cup really ought to include England. He also expressed his delight at his reunion with former Arsenal Assistant Manager, Saxonaitor, who he welcomed to the England set-up.

Thank-you.

Nice ! England manager GOM ! =D - Wales have a lot of good youth talent, no surprise they did well in the Euro's.

On paper it looks like you've got one hell of an attacking line up. Nasri, Van Persie, Iaquinta: and Fabregas orchestrating midfield. Bendtner should probably fit straight in as soon as Iaquinta's age gets the better of him...

On paper your back 4 isn't up to standard for a Champions League team imo (well, back 2). Djourou and Senderos... Djourou has the pace but lacks experience (decent height aswell), but Senderos is just to clumsy imo. Sure, you have the potential of Sakho, but he's similar to Djourou... Not much experience (Gallas surely is thinking about retirement now:P). My tip, look up Mathias Jorgensen (spelt similar to that, not sure. Just type Jorgensen). I signed him on my Fulham season to pair up with Hangeland. He's a brick wall. Very cheap (at least he was at the beginning of the 2nd season), and adjusts to the EPL so quickly its scary. Look him up.

I wouldn't sell Fabregas for anything less than a ridiculous sum. You won't get anyone with as much creativity/passing ability as Fab. Sure, Ramsey has potential, but Fab won't even be hitting his prime yet. If anything, this season you should try and give Ramsey a few games, give him chance to showcase his talents to other clubs (or just keep him in as rotation/competition for Fab).

Sorry for the wall of text, great read. Wishing you a better season next year! :)

Thanks Dan - i love the wall of text, its really helpful. My thoughts:

Djourou doesnt lack experience any more - it's 2012 now, mate :)

Senderos hasnt been first choice really at any stage but has consistently been the best performer at the back. Sakho/Vermaelen/Gallas are all there, albeit Gallas is probably in his last season. I might try Jorgensen anyway though.

Yeah, I dont think I will sell Fab - I want to keep him till he's 38 and has played several thousand games :p lol. it's just good to have that possibility. Will probably sell Denilson or Ramsey at the end of this season - probably whoever plays more this season.

Decent start - qualified for the groups of the Champions' League, and though we lost at Upton Park on opening day, wins against two newly promoted teams in Sheffield United and Middlesbrough have put us back on track. New signing Acquafresca is doing well (Bendtner is having a season out on loan at Valencia as I felt he needed to get a season of more regular games). Iaquinta is very much bit-part now and is rapidly in decline, but I'm hoping to keep him on as a coach.

PS: Real Name is Ross MacLaren. Chosen for his vital input in terms of assessing the squad and potential replacements in the future. Saxonaitor was appointed as England's new assistant, although Capello actually appointed him as a coach immediately after he left Arsenal (couldnt persuade him to sign a new contract).

You really do have a great faith in your youth players hmm? :D. I really would look for another keeper and get him to tutor that young starlet you got there. Try finding a golden oldie, see if Givens still at City, or if Robinson is still at Blackburn.

I mean, City spent £10million on Given. Best piece of business they've done up to yet - I'm sure he'll be worth a bit less than that now, and would be a great mentor to Pete.

Any thoughts would be great. I can provide any screenshots of my current ones, just ask for them. Im going to bed now, on P6 W4 D0 L2 in the league - I lost to West Ham away and Chelsea home. But will be back tomorrow late morning/early afternoon, and whatever you wanna know, I can tell you :)

I play two formations - 4-5-1 and 4-4-2, depending on the opposition/who is in form etc. My wingers are set to "defensive winger", "attack" in the 4-4-2, and in the 4-5-1, one is set to "Inside Forward", the other to "winger" - though this does sometimes change depending on the team (when I remember to!).

The advance settings are defaulted to the team tactics - Fluid/Control for 4-5-1 and Fluid/Attacking for 4-4-2, though this tends to change a lot in-game depending on the situation. The team passes short and are allowed plenty of creative freedom. In 4-4-2 we press more but tackle cautiously, but in 4-5-1 these are both set to default. Man marking in both, and in 4-5-1 there is "more roaming" (not in 4-4-2 though).

Hope this helps, let me know if you need anything else. I thought explaining it that way would be quicker/easier than loads of screenshots.

Yeah, it was. Atm I'm playing a 4-5-1.

However, the individual instructions for the 2 wingers is really important imo (especially if you want to get the best out of theo). I set his crossing to Often, and his throughballs to rarely. I'm also experimenting with the 'Cutting inside' instruction, and seeing which works best. I play Walcott as a winger.

Arshavin is played as an Advanced Playmaker with the default tactic individual instructions. So far he's scored 3 in 4 for me, and set up 4 goals. Maybe your new russian signing could fit in here taking up the Arshavin role. Also, I find it REALLY important to play him on the left. This is so he can unleash his right footed piledrivers ;).

Whenever I play Bendtner/Eduardo in the winger roles, I play them as Inside Forwards. I'm yet to experiment with their individual instructions, but when I do I'll be sure to give you feedback. Whoever plays as the Inside Forward scores just as much as the Trequartista (normally Van Persie in Trequartista role).

Try mixing it up on the easier games. Be sure to give me feedback, and who you play in certain positions.

Ok that's interesting. In my 4-5-1 the top of the pyramid is ALWAYS either a poacher (Eduardo/Afobe/Walcott sometimes), complete forward (Acquafresca/Iaquinta/Van Persie) or target man (Bendtner/Van Persie).

As for the wide players - this season it's been mainly Van Persie and Vela, usually with one as an Inside Forward and another as a Winger, although usually I forget to check which is which, so that's probably not brilliant!! Walcott, Lansbury, Orlov and Nasri have all played there. Arshavin has more or less run his course I think although he's only 31. Might give him another chance later in the season but my coaches have been pointing out his weakening attributes already.

I am trying different players in easier games, and particularly players like Afobe, Lansbury, Wilshere etc are starting to come through. Afobe has been fantastic this season so far, he's looking like he could turn into a decent striker, as he's still only 19.

Orlov, incidentally, has been slightly disappointing so far, and he's not yet up to first choice standards. But hopefully he will come good.

I'm guessing your playing Van Persie on the right then? And I'm guessing he's your inside forward, with Vela as a winger on the left? Bit off topic but how poor is Walcott on this FM?! Really under-rated :/.

Whose in the midfield with Fabregas this season? Denilson I guess?

Yes he is very underrated. He's doing OK on my game, but he's not exactly setting any worlds alight. Midfield rotates generally but at the moment it's Lansbury. He scores LOADS of long range goals, which is helpful. Currently one of my highest rated players this season. Looks like he's going to nail down that place in the remainder of this season.

Not going at all well this year though. Its wierd, everyone is playing really well - no-one clearly underperforming, but we keep losing games. Currently 3-0 down at home to Liverpool - just sinking without trace :(

Never really paid that much attention to corner instructions - any recommendations?

:( my season is also going down the pan. No win in 4 games, and I lost 3-1 to Fiorentina :/.

Well, I have Arshavin putting them into the 6 yard box, with Vermaelen challenging the keeper. Vermaelen's scored 3 goals from corners in 10 games. Could be good to sort some set pieces out :)

It wouldnt be the end of the world if 1) we hadnt lost two games already and 2) we didnt have Chelsea next week....for a team with title winning ambitions I'd say a defeat away at Sunderland is pretty catastrophic. Yes I know its very close this year but we've already too many games to win the league in most other seasons, and we're not half way through the season yet.

Anyway, back to the fantasy world?

Season report? Will be a while im afraid. I dont get through seasons all that quickly. Most likely be towards the end of the week. It's really good to know I have such an avid follower. Do you have any suggestions as to how the reports could be improved? Im really enjoying writing them at the moment, but always looking for ways to make them better.

Can you give me a quick list of what youd like to see in the January update? The end of season ones are the ones I do mainly just to keep a record of my game, but these ones I'd like to use as a review so that you guys can help me out more. Any thoughts?

OK - so you want it at the beginning or end of January? Because obviously in terms of thinking to sell - that would then have to wait till the summer to come around.

Yeah I can do all that, otherwise. Though transfers will mean less and less to you as the players will be regens more and more. Can provide screenshots for some I suppose. Keep the ideas coming, basically anything you dont ask for, you wont get!

lol ^^. Well, I think it would be interesting to do one at the beginning of January, and one at the end. January is a huge month in terms of fixtures etc aswell as transfers, so it would be a good idea to list like everyone you plan on selling / buying and why etc so you can get help with that.

And then maybe some misc information... like the league table, transfer rumours

Then at the end of Jan (as soon as transfer window closes maybe) list the transfer window roundup and your own views on the transfer window, how the 1st half of the season has gone etc. So basically just what you do with end of season updates, but a few more bits n bobs to keep it interesting whilst we wait for the end of season report.

Archived