[Released] Netbook 2010 Skin + Dark Version

michaeltmurrayuk

A skin designed to work better on Netbooks and other computers who's screens are limited to a 1024x600 resolution. Skin is based on the default FM2010 skin, with the most changes being the maximising of the screen content area.

Installation Instructions:

Extract the files from the zip, and place the netbook2010 folder into your skins folder, by default this is:

My Documents/Sports Interactive/Football Manager 2010/skins

Now if you can go into the preferences menu without the game crashing select the netbook2010 skin in the dropdown menu, if it doesn't appear turn off the skin select always reload the skin and click confirm go back into the preferences menu and you should now be able to select the netbook2010 skin. (Once the skin is loaded you can turn the cache back on and turn off always reload skin).

If you cannot get into the preferences screen there are two alternative methods to change your skin:

1. Create a desktop shortcut to FM2010, right click on the shortcut -> properties, select the target box go to the end and type:

' --skin=netbook2010' without the ' and remember to include the space, when you load the game using this shortcut it will select the skin referenced there 'netbook2010' in this case.

2. Manually adjust one of the xml files, first you may need to enable view hidden files, then browse to:

XP: C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2010\settings

Vista/Windows 7: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2010\settings

Inside that folder will be a list of xml files (they may all be inside a Version 1003 subfolder for some reason), now you want to scroll down until you find the 'skin.xml' file open this with notepad and you will see something like this:

<record>

<string id="valu" value="netbook2010"/>

</record>

where it says netbook2010 will be the name of your currently selected skin, to select the netbook2010 skin type netbook2010 as shown above and save the file. The game will now load with the netbook2010 skin selected.

If you are having problems getting the game to run due to your screen size being below 1024x768 you may need to add the --small_screen --windowed command to the end of your target line:

First if you don't already have a desktop shortcut to the fm.exe create one, then right click on the shortcut and select properties.

In the box that pops up select the shortcut tab and the third line down should be a target box select the line next to it, that has the location of the game in it and scroll to the end and add this to the end of the line:

" --small_screen --windowed" (don't include the " but include the first space)

So the target box should look like this:

"C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2010\fm.exe" --small_screen --windowed

(The actual location of the fm.exe may vary depending on where you installed the game and whether you are using steam or not).

If you can also add the --skin=netbook2010 command to the line as well if you cannot get into the preferences screen. (the skin command will tell the game to load with the netbook skin already loaded)

If you add the skin command the target line should look something like this:

"C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2010\fm.exe" --small_screen --windowed --skin=netbook2010

Again the bit within the quote marks may be different depending on where you install FM, its the bit after \fm.exe" that you need to add to the end of the target line.

If you are using Steam, load Steam goto the My Games Window right click on Football Manager 2010 -> Properties -> General -> Set Launch Options and type in the box that appears "--small_screen --windowed" (without the " ") click OK then close the window and run FM2010 through steam it should now open in windowed mode, you should then be able to select the netbook skin in the preferences menu. If you cannot get into the preferences screen then you can add --skin=netbook2010 in the box aswell which will force the game to default to the named skin.

When you load FM2010, maximise the window as that should resize the window so it is no longer cut off, you can also move or auto-hide the windows taskbar to give yourself some extra space.

Screenshots:

netbook2010homescreen.jpg

netbook2010nationovervi.jpg

netbook2010pressconfere.jpg

netbook2010squadscreen.jpg

Notes:

- Every screen that doesn't scroll should now work.

- On screens that scroll I've tried to limit the amount of scrolling required (apart from the comp stats screen where I've increased the amount of teams/players shown for each stat).

- You can customize the menubar icons in the match screen however it needs to be done via editing the 'match_menubar.xml' file - you need to uncomment out the icons you want to show, bear in mind you have limited space and the icon also needs to be displayed on the main menubar.

I would advise you to avoid the following screens:

- New Game Wizard - whilst the screen works, the images are missing showing what leagues you've selected so I recommend using the classic method of starting a new game.

- Tactics Creater Wizard - Do not use this, for some reason it cannot be resized so don't click the 'Create Tactic' button in the tactics screen (couldn't find a way to hide that button either) - if you do click this button you can get out of the wizard by pressing escape. You can still use the new tactics system, you'll just need to use the standard tactics screen to create your tactic and change player roles and duties.

Change Log:

Version 1.1 - released 00:00 15th November 2009

- Fixed 'Respond to Transfer Speculation' Screen.

For anyone that has download version 1.0 you just need to download this file and put it into the netbook2010/screens folder and reload the skin and it should fix that screen. (ensure the file keeps the name 'transfer speculation.xml')

Version 1.2 - released 19:03 28th November 2009

- The match screens should now automatically change from the pitch tab to your last tab when no highlights are being shown, however it has caused a minor issue with the subtabs - when the match screens change automatically the subtabs are misaligned, but still readable and clickable. If you didn't have a problem with the match screens changing then you don't need to bother downloading this version.

Version 1.3 - released 19:13 20th December 2009

- Fixed issues brought about by patch 10.2

- Tweaked the tabs position so they are better aligned.

- Added two new files in the extras folder:

- collapse_match highlights.xml - makes the timebar container on the classic pitch collapsable, though once you have collapsed it, it doesn't uncollapse.

- notimebar_match highlights.xml - disables the timebar container on the classic pitch view, though you also lose the camera button to change cameras you'll need to go into the TV View.

Version 1.4 - Released 16:15 01/01/2010

- Fixed Finance screen, though I've had to get rid of the finance graph.

Skin Extras:

I've included a couple of extras in the extras folder to use them copy the relevant files into the panels folder:

- Right Side Continue button, if you prefer the Continue button on the top right then copy the menubar.xml, match title bar.xml and match_menubar.xml files into the panels folder and reload the skin.

- No Footer Continue button, if you don't want the Continue button in the footer then copy the footer.xml file into the panels folder and reload the skin.

- collapse_match highlights.xml - makes the timebar container on the classic pitch collapsable, though once you have collapsed it, it doesn't uncollapse.

- notimebar_match highlights.xml - disables the timebar container on the classic pitch view, though you also lose the camera button to change cameras you'll need to go into the TV View.

- To get the modified match highlight files to work rename the one you want to match highlights.xml and copy it into the panels folder overwriting the existing one. To get the default view back rename the default_match_highlights.xml to match highlights.xml and copy it into the panels folder.

DOWNLOAD PAGE

---

Download links and information about the Dark Version is now located in the post below this one.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Netbook2010 Dark Skin

A dark skin designed to work better on Netbooks and other computers who's screens are limited to a 1024x600 resolution. Skin is based on the default FM2010 dark skin, with the most changes being the maximising of the screen content area.

Installation Instructions:

Extract the files from the zip, and place the netbook2010 dark folder into your skins folder, by default this is:

My Documents/Sports Interactive/Football Manager 2010/skins

Now if you can go into the preferences menu without the game crashing select the netbook2010 dark skin in the dropdown menu, if it doesn't appear turn off the skin select always reload the skin and click confirm go back into the preferences menu and you should now be able to select the netbook2010 dark skin. (Once the skin is loaded you can turn the cache back on and turn off always reload skin).

If you cannot get into the preferences screen there are two alternative methods to change your skin:

1. Create a desktop shortcut to FM2010, right click on the shortcut -> properties, select the target box go to the end and type:

' --skin=netbook2010 dark' without the ' and remember to include the space, when you load the game using this shortcut it will select the skin referenced there 'netbook2010 dark' in this case.

2. Manually adjust one of the xml files, first you may need to enable view hidden files, then browse to:

XP: C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2010\settings

Vista\Windows 7: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2010\settings

Inside that folder will be a list of xml files (they may all be inside a Version 1003 subfolder for some reason), now you want to scroll down until you find the 'skin.xml' file open this with notepad and you will see something like this:

<record>

<string id="valu" value="netbook2010 dark"/>

</record>

where it says netbook2010 dark will be the name of your currently selected skin, to select the netbook2010 dark skin type netbook2010 dark as shown above and save the file. The game will now load with the netbook2010 dark skin selected.

If you are having problems getting the game to run due to your screen size being below 1024x768 you may need to add the --small_screen --windowed command to the end of your target line:

First if you don't already have a desktop shortcut to the fm.exe create one, then right click on the shortcut and select properties.

In the box that pops up select the shortcut tab and the third line down should be a target box select the line next to it, that has the location of the game in it and scroll to the end and add this to the end of the line:

" --small_screen --windowed" (don't include the " but include the first space)

So the target box should look like this:

"C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2010\fm.exe" --small_screen --windowed

(The actual location of the fm.exe may vary depending on where you installed the game and whether you are using steam or not).

If you can also add the --skin=netbook2010 command to the line as well if you cannot get into the preferences screen. (the skin command will tell the game to load with the netbook skin already loaded)

If you add the skin command the target line should look something like this:

"C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2010\fm.exe" --small_screen --windowed --skin=netbook2010 dark

Again the bit within the quote marks may be different depending on where you install FM, its the bit after \fm.exe" that you need to add to the end of the target line.

If you are using Steam, load Steam goto the My Games Window right click on Football Manager 2010 -> Properties -> General -> Set Launch Options and type in the box that appears "--small_screen --windowed" (without the " ") click OK then close the window and run FM2010 through steam it should now open in windowed mode, you should then be able to select the netbook skin in the preferences menu. If you cannot get into the preferences screen then you can add --skin=netbook2010 dark in the box aswell which will force the game to default to the named skin.

When you load FM2010, maximise the window as that should resize the window so it is no longer cut off, you can also move or auto-hide the windows taskbar to give yourself some extra space.

Screenshots:

netbook2010darkprofile.jpg

netbook2010darktactics.jpg

netbook2010darkmatchpit.jpg

netbook2010darkmatchtac.jpg

Notes:

- Every screen that doesn't scroll should now work.

- On screens that scroll I've tried to limit the amount of scrolling required (apart from the comp stats screen where I've increased the amount of teams/players shown for each stat).

- You can customize the menubar icons in the match screen however it needs to be done via editing the 'match_menubar.xml' file - you need to uncomment out the icons you want to show, bear in mind you have limited space and the icon also needs to be displayed on the main menubar.

- When being taken to various screens automatically during matches the subtabs seem to become misaligned, I've no idea why they do this but I've managed to stop them from disappearing all together so they still work, I'll release an update if I can fix them.

I would advise you to avoid the following screens:

- New Game Wizard - whilst the screen works, the images are missing showing what leagues you've selected so I recommend using the classic method of starting a new game.

- Tactics Creater Wizard - Do not use this, for some reason it cannot be resized so don't click the 'Create Tactic' button in the tactics screen (couldn't find a way to hide that button either) - if you do click this button you can get out of the wizard by pressing escape. You can still use the new tactics system, you'll just need to use the standard tactics screen to create your tactic and change player roles and duties.

Version 1.3 - released 19:13 20th December 2009

- Fixed issues brought about by patch 10.2

- Tweaked the tabs position so they are better aligned.

- Added two new files in the extras folder:

Version 1.4 - Released 16:15 01/01/2010

- Fixed Finance screen, though I've had to get rid of the finance graph.

Skin Extras:

I've included a couple of extras in the extras folder to use them copy the relevant files into the panels folder:

- Right Side Continue button, if you prefer the Continue button on the top right then copy the menubar.xml, match title bar.xml and match_menubar.xml files into the panels folder and reload the skin.

- No Footer Continue button, if you don't want the Continue button in the footer then copy the footer.xml file into the panels folder and reload the skin.

- To get the modified match highlight files to work rename the one you want to match highlights.xml and copy it into the panels folder overwriting the existing one. To get the default view back rename the default_match_highlights.xml to match highlights.xml and copy it into the panels folder.

DOWNLOAD PAGE FOR DARK VERSION

Very nice skin. Although I have a 12' netbook this skin is a lot better then the default one. No more scrolling in the players information and various other screens in the game.

And I love the "new" pitch in the tactics screen.... is a lot lighter on the cpu.

Thanks, Michael

Some bugs im afraid. Biggest one - when you try to replace someone in the tactics screen just before a match, all the players disappear...

It doesn't happen for me, does it happen everytime? And if it does what are the exact steps you are taking? (Specific screens, actions and when before match).

whenever i am in a press conference i cannot see or answer the questions which means i cannot hit continue game...................help please

that did not happend to me.

Already did 2 or 3 press conferences and everything was fine.

are you sure Fm loaded the skin properly?

Press conferences should be fixed, have you got a screen shot of your press conference screen so I can see if anything is different.

here is the screenshot here michael. actually not caus it wont let me paste the screen. naw its every press conference, screen stops at bottom of journalist information :( by the by is there any chance of getting a skin for football manager live?

thx m8 for another great skin :) 1 thing how do i get rid of the blue bar at the top ? im running the game through steam but still get that bar ? thx again

I assume you mean the windows blue bar, if so there is no way to get rid of it in windowed mode as its a Windows feature - you could try changing to a different windos theme if you have one with smaller titlebars.

Thanks!! it's perfect, but, doesn't appears manager's name (in FM2010 skin appears)

2mzmlg4.png

what can i do?

I've no idea why it's doing that on you, does it do it with every manager you create and does it also do it on the match screen?

If you change to a different language does it still do it, does it do it with any other downloaded skins?

..first of all..thank you 4 d great skin..btw i got this slight problem..

untitled_3.jpg

if u can see..it at the bottom right..its impossible to choose d option 4 d response..

Thanks, looks like that screen uses a different file to the other interaction screens, I've now fixed it and the download links will point to version 1.1 of the skin.

For anyone that has already downloaded the skin you just need to download this file and put it into the netbook2010/screens folder and reload the skin and it should fix that screen. (ensure the file keeps the name 'transfer speculation.xml')

Have you turned the skin cache off and reloaded the skin after downloading the new version or copying the new file into the screens folder? As that should fix it:

problem solved..didnt know that i have to turn off the skin cache..once again..great skin..:thup::thup::thup::thup:

here is the screenshot here michael. actually not caus it wont let me paste the screen. naw its every press conference, screen stops at bottom of journalist information :( by the by is there any chance of getting a skin for football manager live?

what do u think michael?

Hi Michael, Just wondering whether you can help me mate? I've downloaded your skin but unfortunately no club badges are working? Your skin has definately downloaded as I can see some major changes to the screen layout, but forgive me if this is a silly question...does your skin include club badges, kits etc?

Great skin, i play the game on a LCD TV with a 1360x768 res and was a real pain in the arse having to scroll when wanting to look through my squad etc. So used to have to change the res to 1280x1024 to stop all the scrolling, but then it looked crap as was stretched!

Now i can play on full res no problem, nice one.

Dark version is being worked on - I was seeing if any of the code that can hide things would work to free up extra space, however the three methods I've tried so far don't work perfectly (one method loses the ability to use the drop down menus, another causes the tabs to jump around).

I've also come across a bug in the match screen that stops the game from switching screens when there is no highlight (I'm surprised no-one has mentioned this as it's rather annoying, does this not happen to anyone else?) - I've managed to fix that problem (it took most of the weekend to find what file caused the issue), however the fix has broken the subtabs - so I'm currently trying to find a way to get the subtabs to appear at different heights inside and outside the match screen without them randomly moving.

Archived