The Big One. England v Australia. The Ashes. Cricket. Spoliers.

wycombe

• Replies 24.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jep:

Lewis to smack mcgrath for a 4 ?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

he can whack a ball usually, not sure he's dumb enough to try though.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Divinity:

Congrats to England and a great innings by KP, reminded me of Bevan. icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Before he became a fs, average-guarding, egotistical, sullen tw*t?

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rocky Rockstar:

Well seeing as you do not want to even consider a batsman with a FC average of 50+ as a potential test player then anythings possible tbh. I'm not saying he will be a test player, that remains to be seen, but he needs to be given his chance. Yes you can point out Grahame Hick, Trescothick, Vaughan etc if you want to use examples of players whose test average don't reflect their FC average, but for every one you name i could probably name 20 to the contary. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's really not that simple though is it Rocky?

To tell whether a player can handle it in tests you have to look at their technique and mental strength just as much as their averages.

Hick is the classic example of a player whose technique had a flaw that was only exposed when facing relentlessly good bowling (something you only get in test matches - county bowling includes dross, ODI bowling includes experiments).

Vaughan on the other hand was identified as having the sort of sound technique and mental fortitude to produce against any sort of attack.

This is why there are questions about Pietersen, his technique is not completely solid, and there are many many questions about his attitude stemming from him leaving SA in a huff when he thought he wouldn't get picked for their side.

You have to weigh that against proven quality in Thorpe, and his drawbacks of a dodgy back, and questions about his vision.

Statistics can prove anything you want them to..

My opinion on the matter is that Thorpe has to start the first test. And probably the second. If he fails in four innings then there is no point in giving him a chance to get back into form, and someone else should come in.

Whether that is Pietersen or Ed Joyce is open to debate in my mind. But the nation has decided Pietersen is the new golden boy of cricket (remember what happened to the last one btw), and that debate is not happening. Partly due to some fanciful idea that the Aussies are "scared of Pietersen".

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JoeyM:

My gf's dad is called Geraint, and it's pronounced, G (as in good)-er (as in air) - aint (as in pint).

Gairint. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The "er" is actually pronounced more like "err" in "error".

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sebs:

key, collingwood... butcher is injured isnt he? even then i'd suggest he's well down the pecking order now </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Joyce has looked good in county cricket icon14.gif I know this because I selected him for just 4 points in my telegraph team and he has churned out more runs than anyone else so far.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jongi:

Would they have refund people who had a ticket for day 5? Or is that considered part of the risk you take when buying test tickets? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Those who have 5th day tickets will get a full refund bar an "administrative charge".

If you get between 10 & 25 overs play then you get a part refund.

We got 10.1 overs yesterday.......

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scatter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Zvonimir Boban:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scatter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ooh aah ray parlour:

Time for Freddie to own Gilchrist again </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

you know he's going to score a double ton now that you've jinxed him, don't you? icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's OK though, you just unjinxed him icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

that's alright, coz you're going to win this test icon14.gif

icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We're going to throw it away icon_mad.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sebs:

hit the ball twice

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As it's usual for batsmen to block the ball a second time if it heads towards the stumps after the first hit, does this dismissal only cover the possibly of a batsman stopping the ball dead and then subsequently smashing it along the ground?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">obstructing the field </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Would that be the method of dismissal for, say, a non-striker barging a bowler out of the way if he was trying to take a caught and bowled?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Dine:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Zvonimir Boban:

Our school didn't have a football team and it was compulsory to play rugby in the winter and crikeet in the summer for the first 3 years </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Similar at mine. Rugby was compulsory, but in the summer you chose cricket or athletics. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aha yeah, totally forgot about athletics in the summer icon_biggrin.gif

I'll probably go to the Worcs d/n but that will probably be it for me and cricket this year.

Channel 4 have always had the C & G haven't they?

ericcactona7 : The lancs game isn't on C4 they are showing the Hampshire v Yorkshire game. The TV Guide says that Pietersen, Vaughan and Hoggard are playing but I would be suprised.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Dine:

northern weather icon13.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

FFS, Nottingham is not the North. Deep South more like.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Scatter

i agree with the sentiment of most of what he said. if we play well at the oval, but lose, fair do's (it'll still be disappointing given how poorly we've played for most of the series). anyone care to try and find out the last time we went an entire series without passing the 400 mark in an innngs

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

can't tell about australia, but i can say that against india in 03-04, australia stuffed india, with no top indian batsman making a big score except Sehwag.

What goes around, comes around as i see it.

Have you prepared as your team is going to go through a transition period mate? icon_smile.gif

Last time that happened, in 81 i think it was.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Andrew Jolly:

Martyn has been pretty unlucky quite a few times, whereas Bell has looked like a rabbit caught in the headlights. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

of his eight dismissals, at least four have been incorrectly given, but that doesn't hide the fact he's batted poorly.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JoeyM:

Hard to argue with that - might take one of KP or Clarke out and replace with McGrath... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I knew he'd take a wicket just as I was writing this icon_biggrin.gif

really, besides Lords, MacGrath has had a pretty average series.

look, i wouldnt be suprised if there's one final twist </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What possible twist could happen?

If they take a hattrick they'd still need 10+ runs an over!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Liam Harper:

There's the Ashes over </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

:*)

after geraint jones spilled a catch at old trafford

Archived