FM11: Portsmouth FC Thread: No Money, No Players.. But We're Still Fighting!

Ty

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
its done but its really poor quality, any way to make it as sharp as the others on this page?

Normally, that means the video is still processing?

Should sort it self out after a while.

Jonjo was mentioned in OP and throughout the thread, he is becoming a Pompey favourite.

Smalling isn't bad for backup CB, and if that is Aaron Ramsey, then well played! Presuming he has recovered.

Stop saying 'Ramsay' when even in the screenshot it says 'Ramsey' :D

Anyway, quality signing! :thup: Definitely someone I will be after on the full game, the best part is, no-one can snap him up straight away due to injury! So he is able to move on loan just at the right time of the embargo being lifted.

Ha. My bad. Yeah, indeed.. once embargo is lifted he only has about a week left to recover, which is alright. Not played FM for some time, but I'm sure there use to be feature where you could ask a team which players are available to loan/buy, that still exist? Would make loaning players much easier.

Nice Thread Ty :thup: better than MLG's southampton one :p

Got myself a little save underway but don't know how quickly I can get through seasons as my poorly PC is starting to feel the age for FM :(

Signed:

Sergio Sanchez as free GK to replace Ashdown

Derek Geary at RB to free Hayden Mullins to play back in Midfield

Quinton Fortune as a bit of a utility player

Frank Songo'o as a back up AML/R

Richard Knooper as MC/AMC

Playing a 4-3-2-1 formation switching to 4-1-4-1 when away

GK Sanchez

LB Dickinson/Fortune

RB Geary

DC Mokoena

DC Rocha

MCl Brown (BTB)

MC Knooper (AP)

MCr Mullins/Hughes (BWM)

AML/r Lawrence (IF)

AMR/l Utaka (IF)

SC Kitson/Nugent (AF)

The 2 wingers swap sides and that seems to be very successful. When switching to the away form the wingers drop back to ML/R and the MC will drop to DMC to become a DLP.

There is plenty of good movement and passing from the team like this but it does take a short while for the blend and familiarity to take hold.

As I had no money I sent my team out on a bit of a grueling overseas run of matches as there were some lowly teams willing to pay over £100k for the privilege and then got Celtioc and Rangers to visit Fratton Park to add another £150k from the 2 matches combined.

I have gained Arsenal as a Parent, which should be good when the embargo comes off( I have edited mine to end on 22nd October :D )

So far I have got as far as 1 league match defeat away to Ipswich 2-0 and a 3-1 win away to Southend in the LC

The league defeat was poor but the LC win was quite something as I had to patch up the side due to Nugent and Kitson being injured and Kanu having played 90 minutes against Ipswich was totally unfit. I dropped the SC to AMC and messed with my players a little. Got Geary sent off early doors giving away a penalty so had to then drop the AMC altogether and the patched up team ran wild.

Got Man Utd as a parent club, and guess who they sent me? Connor Wickham haha.

You jammy so and so! Wickham really is going to be awesome on this years game.

Nice Thread Ty :thup: better than MLG's southampton one :p

MLG's had way too many videos and pictures and stuff, didn't look at all professional ;)

Started a game as Portsmouth but will leave it till the game comes out I think, not a big enough database to get players in.

Same reason I don't want to start properly.

Peter g you dont need a mass of players imo

With Championship clubs, it is better to have to option of a medium/large database.

That way, there is more foriegn free players to sign (some could be absolute gems!) and all round more bargains.

Another potential signing is Calum Davenport, not for the demo as he is injured until january but he is pretty decent for a free agent and has premier league experience, if i had the proper game i would probably get him till the end of the season and see how he copes

Another potential signing is Calum Davenport, not for the demo as he is injured until january but he is pretty decent for a free agent and has premier league experience, if i had the proper game i would probably get him till the end of the season and see how he copes

He shouldn't be a free when the full version comes out and he should be fit and ready to play again.

He was the one that got stabbed in the leg wasn't it?

Yeah he doesn't look too bad, and I should think he would want to come as well.

He is. From what I heard, he was about to join Forest and then got stabbed by a Derby fan. Nothing weird there lol. He won't be a free when the game comes out as he plays for Wooton someone or however you spell it.

END OF DEMO REVIEW!

I started the season with a 2-1 defeat to Coventry and for the next few games was inconscistent as it took 7 games to actually draw a game. After the 26 games in the demo though my form greatly improved with results such as 4-3 against watford, 5-1 against coventry 6-1 against leeds, 7-2 against reading, and 5-1 against Norwich. I struggled defensively but the goals were spread out through 5/6 attackers and i eventually finished 1st with 52 points and top scorers with 60 goals

Key Players: Liam Lawrence, 26 appearances, 10 goals, 12 assists, ave rating 7.43

John Utaka, 26 appearances, 11 goals, 8 assists, ave rating 7.48

David Kitson, 25 appearances, 10 goals, 9 assists, ave rating 7.25

Transfers - Adrianno Basso GK, 12 appearances, 17 conceded, 3 clean sheets ave rating 7.02

Corry Evans CD DM CM, 7(1) appearances, 1 goal, 1 assist, ave rating 7.21

Luke Moore ST, 11 appearances, 6 goals, 4 assists, ave rating 7.55

Ben Hoskin RB, 6(1) appearances, 1 assist, ave ratin 6.97

Jay Demerit CD, 8 appearances, 2 goals, 1 assist, ave rating 7.64

Jonjo Shelvey AMC, 11(1) appearances, 1 goal, 5 assists, ave rating 7.43

Jay Emmanuel-Thomas CD CDM CM LB LM AMC, 7 appearance, 1 assists, ave rating 7.16

Got Man Utd as a parent club, and guess who they sent me? Connor Wickham haha.

Ahh nice, luckily they signed Wickham then!

Started a game as Portsmouth but will leave it till the game comes out I think, not a big enough database to get players in.

Yeah fair enough, it is a lot harder to get players in.

Yes would be a decent signing, but we have quite a lot of CB cover.

He was the one that got stabbed in the leg wasn't it?

Yeah he doesn't look too bad, and I should think he would want to come as well.

Yeah thats him, it was the boyfriend of Davenports sister who stabbed him.

END OF DEMO REVIEW!

Nice one, sounds like you did pretty decent then! Lawrence, Utaka and Kitson were all key players for me :cool:

Looks as if promotion could be pretty easy for us in the first season then!

But that isn't the challenge, the challenge is to build the team (we eventually want some reserves!) and become financially secure over a long term. :thup:

--

Sheer

When you do see this.

I presume the reserves are not in a league in the first season, but would have the the option of joining a league in future seasons? Like the invitation?

Would be a bummer if we never get invited again :(

Looks as if promotion could be pretty easy for us in the first season then!

But that isn't the challenge, the challenge is to build the team (we eventually want some reserves!) and become financially secure over a long term. :thup:

--

Sheer

When you do see this.

I presume the reserves are not in a league in the first season, but would have the the option of joining a league in future seasons? Like the invitation?

Would be a bummer if we never get invited again :(

I know I'm not Sheer, but Spurs were never in the ressies first season last time out ('Arry's choice) but you always got the invite the next season. Can't see they'd change it for you lot.

I know I'm not Sheer, but Spurs were never in the ressies first season last time out ('Arry's choice) but you always got the invite the next season. Can't see they'd change it for you lot.

Due to you not being Sheer, I am totally disregarding your comment. Pfft.

--

:D Just kidding, cheers mate! So pre-season 2011/12, presumably we will get the usual invitation to reserve and U18 leagues?

Should be interesting save on full game.. Who are people likely to going to sell/buy for the next season if you get promoted? Should be possible to avoid relegation with the team at the moment.

If I get promoted I will keep most of the squad and keep as many as possible, depending on if Utaka and co will sign a new deal. I will look for a new keeper as I dont trust Jamie Ashdown in the prem and also bring some cover in for all of the squad.

Me and Standard were on facebook chat from 6 till 1 last night talking about are Pompey games, I originally messaged him pulling my hair out as I was doing rubbish.

Started the season with 10 points from 9 games, somehow finished the demo in 6th with 44 points from 26, finishing off with two 4-1 wins. I reckon if I started again I would be right up the top as it took me until my 9th game to get my tactic playing the way I wanted it too.

Key Players:

David Nugent; Appearances 18(2), Goals 9, Assists 6

Dave Kitson; Appearances 26, Goals 9, Assists 8

John Utaka; Appearances 23(1). Goals 7, Assists 4

Liam Lawrence; Appearances 26, Goals 7, Assists 7

Spent literally the whole night moaning to standard about how I wasn't getting the best of Lawrence, towards the end I tweaked his settings a bit and in the last 4 games he got 2 assists and 3 goals. A lot of his assists have come from corners though, would like to try and get more from him from open play, only 2 of his goals were penalties though so doing well on that front.

Honoury mentions to Mokoena, De Laet, Mullins, Basso and Kakuta for their contributions.

Not sure if I should start again or leave it now, I have decided upon a very specific type of game when it comes out which would involve me not being Pompey much, decisions!

Hi guys just stumbled upon this thread and thought I would update with my Portsmouth save (got to the end of the demo).

Haven't read through the whole thread but I presume some of you tried to offload Utaka due to extortionate wages. I indeed transfer listed him but there was no interest and, not only that, it seemed to upset half of the rest of the squad! Epic fail!

After a few games managed to get everyone back on board although Utaka seems to be permanently unhappy with me (still does a job, primarily coming on as an impact sub either upfront or on the right wing.

I set my formation as 4-4-2 from the start and haven't deviated away from that (other than the odd switch to 4-5-1 to try and hold onto a lead).

In terms of loan signings I brought in Jonjo Shelvey (I see he's proved very popular!), Chris Smalling, Danny Wilson (who was definitely one of my best performers until his loan expired, at which point Liverpool wouldn't let me have him back due to first-team commitments), Zavon Hines, Michael Tonge, Marc Albrighton, Ritchie De Laet, Barry Bannan and Daniel Pacheco (who was superb as a support striker before his loan ran out, trying to get him back though).

Tal Ben Haim back from West Ham could be useful, he's played one game since he returned for me and did well. Currently in around 11th spot in the Championship, four-or-so points off the play-off spots.

I'm a Manchester United fan but couldn't start a save with all the uncertainty surrounding Rooney earlier in the week but really pleased I started this one!

If anyone wants any more specific updates from this game just give me a shout!

Bloody hell Jon didn't realise we were on Facebook that long! :eek:

Good to see that you ended the demo in good form and a good league position. Also nice to see you got Lawrence performing, I don't know he always performed so well for me I didn't change anything about him but he would still score and set up a lot of goals.

As Jon knows, I couldn't get Kitson performing no matter what, I tried in pretty much every striker position and yet he just could not score, missing chance after chance after chance! He ended the demo with 0 goals in 19 league games iirc. His only goal came in the League cup v League 2 Barnet. On my other 2 attempts at the demo Kitson did fine and scored a good amount of goals so don't know what the problem is.

As I mentioned this was my 3rd attempt as Pompey on the demo, as I wanted to make everything right, and I really did. Had a period of 6 League wins a row at 1 point and was unbeaten in 12, but then my demo crashed a few times and I had a re play a few games luckily I still won the games but still wasn't as good as the first time round.

If anyone is looking for a keeper then Basso is your man, he was just amazing for me and kept 14 clean sheets out of 26 games iirc and I barely conceded, also thanks to Mokoenas 5 MoMs!

My loan signings also played a big part, these were:

Riise - Fulham

Wickham - Manchester United

Danny Wilson - Liverpool

Emmaunel-Thomas - Arsenal

These were all fantastic and would recommend getting, Wickham is a class act and cannot describe how good he was.

Haven't read through the whole thread but I presume some of you tried to offload Utaka due to extortionate wages.

Tal Ben Haim back from West Ham could be useful, he's played one game since he returned for me and did well.

Good first post in the thread :thup: I doubt many of us tried to get rid of Utaka as it is only the demo and wasn't worth it, but I will try on the full game as he will not sign a new contract. Yes, Tal did well for me on my first 2 demo attempts, but on the 3rd one West Ham made a bid for him. He is a good player, but not worth the £40,000 wages.

Looking busy in here Ty! I thought I'd better show my face :p anyway just started with Pompey . Offered contracts to David McNamee (gave up looking for better) and a fairly crap winger who can play on either flank (some guy called Bally Smart). I wanted Kapo but his wage demands were to high.

Archived