FM11: Portsmouth FC Thread: No Money, No Players.. But We're Still Fighting!

Ty

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nope, as there are not enough players or leagues loaded up for me.
Same, not enough players/leagues.

I normally have a large database and the large leagues across Europe loaded.

Fair enough. I would've done the same myself but really hooked on this current save and I'd get annoyed if I lost certain games I won before with a restart. Plus I don't think it's essential (the leagues especially) unless I'm looking to move clubs and go abroad in the future but I'm quite convinced this is going to be a long-term project with Pompey.

Lord knows how you've got through three separate saves with the same team Standard!

Started ANOTHER demo.

This time was sort of an experiment. Signed two free transfers.

DeMerit and Franco.

DeMerit has been with me since the first friendly, where as Franco took ages to join. This was his first friendly, very promising indeed;

promising.png

He got goal of the game as well with this;

[video=youtube;5cvApMLPers]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cvApMLPers

But I had to play Kanu in CM due to problems with Brown's injury, he did a great job and scored what I personally thought was goal of the game, with his left foot... from 30 yards!

Anyone else worried about the debt levels in game? I'm like nearly £8 million in the red and (unless I gain promotion to the Premier League) not really sure how I'm going to generate the income to remove that debt. Goes up by like £1m with every month!

In game, IRL, I'd say there are a fair few people that are worried about the debt levels :D

In game, IRL, I'd say there are a fair few people that are worried about the debt levels :D

Goes without saying really doesn't it...

Just wanted to get thoughts as to what might happen as the game progresses. Do you eventually get taken over? Do you have to just keep relying on loans and thus expect the old purse strings to be tightened?

Had good fun with this, finished the demo top of the league, won all by 2 or 3 games after the embargo was lifted and a few loans came in, was on a great run of form. Signed no-one until the embargo was lifted either which was a good challenge but meant we were 9th when it was lifted, did give me chance to give youngsters a few games though. Brought in Wilson, Lansbury and Eastmond (RB cover for Mullins) as my post-embargo loans, boosted the squad monumentally.

Kitson is a god on this, had Liverpool (!) sniffing around him mid-November just after he scored back-to-back hat-tricks! Nuge was coming good as well towards the end of the demo, Utaka at LM, Kitson at LST set at advanced forward worked very well for me, a few games towards the latter half of the demo that ended 3-1, Kitson with 2 and Utaka with the other. The tactic I had used aggressive tackling and we did pay for that though, in about 18 games Rocha picking up 6 yellows and 3 reds...not that it mattered with the CB cover I had in the end.

Didn't need another RB or LM surprisingly in the end, which is what I spent the whole of pre-season trying to get. Mullins was more than capable at RB and also just played Sonko there if needed, Gregory also got two games at some point. Utaka was a very good LM and Ritchie was very impressive when he played (something like 4 goals in 9(11) appearances). I think though with more injuries we'd have been harder pressed, though was forced to give Kilbey a debut just after he returned from injury away at Hull due to lacking CM options and he scored to round off an excellent team move! Gave Magri a few games as well (one start, quite a few subs) and he seemed ok.

Ive just started a save as Portsmouth. Had a lot of fun with them on FM10 so thought I would try the tougher tast set upon them this year. Havnt brought anyone in as of yet except for staff members. I have placed the players which Ty mentioned in his opening post on my shortlist for January deals and I am also trailing Stephen Wright, David McNamee, Andy van der Meyde, Derek Geary & Etienne Esajas on free transfers.

Looking forward to getting started, should be fun & will keep you posted.

Just keep an eye out lads for contracts running out in January when you get there, you might be able to snap up a freebie ready for when you get into the Premiership!

I managed to bring in Derek Geary on a free transfer to try and help solve the right back problem, and I am also in talks with Andranik Teymourain as well. I am having to offer him nearly £7k which the board allowed me to hopefully tie him down to a deal.

I managed to bring in Derek Geary on a free transfer to try and help solve the right back problem, and I am also in talks with Andranik Teymourain as well. I am having to offer him nearly £7k which the board allowed me to hopefully tie him down to a deal.

You wont get him, he will fail work permit, and fail on appeal as well.

I use him as a target man with support to head. He is injured at the moment but has 1 in 2 for me.

I am having quite a lot of fun so far with my Pompey team. For the 1st time ever I think, I actually played all my friendlies, mainly so I could see which youngsters were worthy of playing the the league. So after a pre-season of winning 4 and drawing 3 of my friendlies I opened the league with a home game against Coventry. I went 2 goals up through Nugent & Kitson before Marlon King pulled 1 back. I held on to get 3 points in my opening game. I followed this up with a mediocre performance at home to Bournemouth in the League Cup. I played numerous youngsters & unfit players and walked away with a 2-1 victory. I faced Derby away next in what was my favourite game to date. Kitson got injured very early on and decided against my 4-4-2 formation and changed it to a 4-5-1 formation. Substitute John Utaka scored the opening goal with a thunderbolt before I brought on 16yo Chinedu Vine for his debut in which he scored an 83rd minute goal on his debut to seal the victory. Since then, I have beaten Sheff Utd 2-1 at home, Carlisle 2-0 at home in the League Cup, Vine scoring yet again (his stats are shooting up) and have just beat Watford 2-0 at Vicarage Road to sit top of the table with 4 wins from 4.

Utaka is a beast for me. 4 in 4, set as a poacher upfront or an inside forward on the left. Playing fantastic.

Just finished the demo with Pompey (January 2nd) & it wont let me go any further and after 26 games I am sitting 2nd in the League (screenshot below). Sour note was that I just got beat 3-0 off Derby at Fratton Park haha.

http://s869.photobucket.com/albums/ab258/SRL88/?action=view&current=npowerChampionshipInformation_LeagueTable.png

I found the game quite a lot of fun to be fair. I brought 3 players in over the course of things. Derek Geary came in on a free transfer to help solve the right back problem. I brought in Devann Yao for a back-up & he rarely played. My favourite signing was that of Mark Randall on a 3 month loan in September. He played really well & chipped in with some lovely assists.

Overall, Pompey is a good save I think & I will look forward to starting a proper one when FM11 comes out.

Just a quick question I have noticed a few people say they have Kitson as an advanced forward, I always saw him as the Deep lying forward/target man type and Nugent as the advanced forward.

So yeah why have you guys been using Kitson there?

Quite simply as he performed (for me) a lot better than Nugent in that position. Also my tactic isn't really set around having a target man to hit balls up to, I play short passing style and a slow build-up normally, however for me Kitson has done brilliantly running with the ball at his feet, a few goals coming from runs near the half-way line and then a 20-yard shot into the corner.

I do believe it is update time, as I have just sneaked ahead of Forest at the top of the table for the first time all season! It has been a long battling season up to New Year.

We went 10 unbeaten (6 winstreak in there as well!) until we was harshly beaten 1-0 by Doncaster!

Here is the table as of 26th December;

tablei.png

John Utaka the best player in the Championship at the moment, top scorer with 20 goals.

Liam Lawrence was the best assisting player with 12, until he suffered a horrible injury what has seen him out for 2-3 months, (I am only 1 month into this injury) and every since he has dropped from the team, our form as suffered, but we have still battled to first place.

Flahavan has been better than expected, only conceeding 19 goals and having 8 cleansheets.

Pre-season was awesome, losing horribly to Dundee, but winning every other game comfortably including a 1-0 win over Chelsea!

--

The game of the season so far has to be the game away to Leicester, was a brilliant game to watch, check out the result;

resulttx.png

Here are the rest of my fixtures; fixturesl.png[/center]"]Click.

--

A nice litte feature next, with an embargo put on me halfway through Decemeber due to the possible takeover, my current chairmen Bainrai got fed up with the length it was taking and I got this message, glad to see he cares!

awesomejj.png

Hi, I'm new here, so be kind :D.

Been a Pompey fan all my life, so of course I'm starting with them. Had a great pre-season, and a good start to the season, after 5 games I'm top with 4 wins and a draw. Closest match so far was this:

. So glad we pulled through, and that was some mighty curl on Nugent's shot! Liam is a beast, scoring and assisting. Tried to get Franco, but his wages were far to high. Any tips to help get him down to the 1,800 mark?

Also, picked up Fuseini, played alright for me, but I'm wondering if I'm just being lucky with him in my save. Would you pick him up in the real game? He's scored a nice one for me, but it was only against the Gills! http://www.youtube.com/user/somejamesfan?feature=mhum#p/a/u/0/PZS1PniY4Os

Think I'm going to give the demo a rest tonight and wait to play the full game tomorrow. I'll be starting a new one of course, and hope to upload all match highlights and possibly keep you all up to date on here as well.

Play Up Pompey, Pompey Play Up!

Waiting for 12:00 AM, then I think i'm going to start up a Portsmouth save. Decided to choose Portsmouth over a BSS/ BSN team... Looking forward to it though.

I think i'm going to play a 4-2-3-1. Going to try and get Shelvey on loan and maybe Kakuta? May look to bolster the back four as well and maybe GK. Will have a better idea when I can actually play the game :D Haven't bothered that much with the demo.

The loans I brought in that has helped me to the top of the table are;

- Gael Kakuta - The boy is magic and will rack up so many assists, scored a great free kick for me.

- Grant Stearman - Quality RB, and will cover at CB if needed as well.

- Jonjo Shelvey - This boy needs no introduction, masterclass in the centre of the field.

- Henri Lansbury - Will score from anywhere on the pitch, either it be 6 yards or 30. Covers pretty much the whole of the midfield which is good!

- Chris Smalling - Didn't get many games, but when he did, he was solid and composed.

Archived