1992/93 Database - A Personal Goal

Darandio

I have seen several threads over the years, on various forums that have wanted to replicate past times, but some get abandoned simply because it is a lot of hard work and equally, some see the light of day. That is why I decided to do one, primarily for myself, being a long time user of the original Championship Manager series on the Amiga, I wanted to go back and relive those happy days.

As I said, it's primarily for myself and I did a hell of a lot of groundwork and research to make sure it resembles the era as much as I possibly can. However, I have now decided to start showing parts of the database to you, mainly as an interest point for us "older" members who either played earlier versions with these players, or remember watching the players themselves.

Changes made include players and staff (quite obvious!), a complete overhaul of the financial structure including accurate TV and prize money for 1992/93. It may surprise people that in the inaugural year of the Premier League, the champions received £815,210. These days, you can get relegated and receive more! Also added are accurate player histories, from the actual years they have played up until 1992. This obviously doesn't tally with the 2010 start date but gives an accurate career reflection and makes the biographies accurate.

Obviously, there are pitfalls with the project as when trying to make players as realistic as possible, the ratings reflect modern transfer values but I have tried to stem it as much as possible. Another major pitfall is the starting year, which is 2010 but although hard, I can ignore it.

The following screenshots have concentrated on Arsenal as it is the club that is as good as complete, although I have got players included across the whole league at the moment, its just a case of going through each club and completing the process. The eagle eyed will see Perry Groves in the Arsenal squad as he didn't move to Southampton until near the end of August. I am in two minds whether to set that up as a future transfer.

If anyone does have a request to see a player from the Premier League, in the era, I'll try to do it providing the player is done.

ArsenalSquad92.jpg

ASmith.jpg

ASmithHistory.jpg

I have also been adding various players from abroad, much in the vein of how it was in CM93/94.

Here we have Gascoigne at Lazio, still out injured from the 1991 FA Cup final but on the road to recovery. He did make his Lazio debut on 27 September so he might still be on course for that. What is interesting is the value, this has no input from me but with the stats he has been given, it's strangely valued him at the exact price he was signed for.

PGascoigne.jpg

Any chance of you doing a Rangers team mate? We got to the Champions League semi that year and imo should have won it. We were also arguably the best team in Britain then too.

No plans for that at the moment I am afraid, I just want to get the Premier League done initially which is going to take a while.

Most people doing these databases massively overrate their favourite players - good to see you've remained objective!

You done any of the Man United players or Ajax?

Yes, there is no room for sentiment here! Part of my own "brief" for doing it for myself was to remain objective and try and capture the league as it was in that year, over-rating players just wouldn't achieve it.

I have done several of the Man Utd players but the full squad and club structure is not finished. Likewise with Ajax, some players are complete but the full club won't be done. However, several key players will be included to enable them for purchase. Mind you, when I say key players at Ajax, pretty much the whole team was key around this period!

If you have any requests for players, I would be happy to show them.

I wanna see most of the Ajax team really, Bergkamp, Davids, Overmars (think he was there at that time), Litmanen, Kluivert (would have been like 16 i think at that time)

Also Cantona while he was at Leeds if that's possible

I know it's a lot, but thanks :D

This is looking great so far Darandio! :thup:

I had thought about doing a '1st season of the Premiership'-type 'retro update' like this myself not too long ago, but the huge amount of work involved put me off in the end, so you have my kudos! :D

How are ya managing to balance player's attributes without their CA/PA completely changing them? It drove me mad! :lol:

If you're asking for requests though, I'd love to see my beloved Manchester City in all their nostalgic glory.. :D

How are ya managing to balance player's attributes without their CA/PA completely changing them? It drove me mad! :lol:

Weeks (maybe months) of painstaking research, to find a balance in comparison to how the game works with players from today using data from 1992/93, including referencing CM93/94 (Surprisingly!)

Thankyou for all the comments, its very encouraging.

Darandio, this is a wonderful idea, and I wish you the best of luck with it. It's this sort of thing from dedicated, perfectionist type, heavy research based FMers that I was hoping to see more of when database editing started, so thanks for doing this!!

I made a Man United 93-94 which I could send to you if you'd like, but I expect you're more than covered since you seem to be striving for as much realism as possible, as I was too!

Any chance of you doing a Rangers team mate? We got to the Champions League semi that year and imo should have won it. We were also arguably the best team in Britain then too.

As soon as i seen the name of thread i hoped for a Rangers team and one deserving of the team we had then and not reflecting the state of our league now. I would love to see that team made, but i know it's a lot of work, i've done this kinda of thing myself before. I usually download others and then sit and go over Rangers and the Scottish league myself.

• 5 weeks later...
Looks awesome mate. I am currently creating a 1995/1996 database. its taking a long time, but i am getting through it as much as possible, how long do you think it will be until you realese your db ??? also any chance to see the derby team ?

I'd looked into doing a 95/96 season update myself in recent times but that blasted stats-to-CA/PA balance drove me round the bend in the finish. lol Shame, as I did manage to get a half decent, balanced Cantona and Kinkladze.. :D

Hopefully Darandio will surface again soon, the editing community can only benefit from the diversity and moments of nostalga (City had no money, but we had our Kinkladze! :p:D) that these retro updates bring. That and the challenge of changing history of course..

Im doing ok with the CA/PA 's (i think) so far, but it is a lot of work. it takes me about a day to complete one team, because i want to do it as accurate as i can, i got books and the web to give me in depth information on the club im doing. ie, chairman and the directors of the club at the time of 1995, also moving clubs back to their old grounds, I'm also looking to include facepacks/club kits from 1995/96/logos from 1995/96/old stadium background pics. etc. I really want to make it as real as possible. well anyway, got to keep plugging on .....

Archived