Off Topic Thread: Hey lurkers, post ffs!!

Purefun

Currently enjoying a few beers and watching the Man City vs Hull game (which is not in the least entertaining) while waiting for the Norwich vs Southampton game to start. Hopefully the Norwich/Southampton will be a good free flowing game.

I have to say Hull have showed a lot of fight against Man City which should do them well this year. i still think they will go down but at least they should give a decent acount of themselve based on this game.

In other news the maid of honour from my weding last year has arrivede in Brisbane for a working holiday for the next year. She arrived at 5am and her nd my wife proceeded to have champers and whisky and then both went to bed at 2pm ish. Which means the TV has been all mine all day and i have gorged on sport

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRL88

• tomtuck01

• Cleon

• Nottingham Forest

Top Posters In This Topic

Got a game against a ****** small club tomorrow. Not looking forward to it aswell as it's one of few games a season they turn up to.

You'll never walk alone, apparently.

Hmm small club and You'll never walk alone, is it Celtic you play tomorrow?

Deadline Day. A time when the dribbling masses of the country congregate outside various football stadiums and training grounds to cheer at the mere mention of a decent player been linked with their club. A day for the wretched chancers of the game to "earn" their keep by peddaling the players they "represent" to whoever will pay them the most.

A great example of the vulgarity that has enslaved English football. Despicable.

somehow I can't help but feel Madrid bought Bale because Barcelona have Neymar and Messi, and they don't want to be left behind with 'just' Ronaldo. They should've invested in a striker instead imo

talk about over-valuation :/ not saying Bale is a bad player, but surely he shouldn't be worlds most expensive player? just me?

The question is what's Bale got to do to be deemed at 'success' at Madrid? If you compare him to Ronaldo, and their price tags, Ronaldo has 202 goals in 202 games iirc. Bale's going to get nowhere near them figures, and you just know everyone is going to compare him with Ronaldo and therefore come to the conclusion that he's a flop.

No one can live up to that ridiculous price tag, it's not Bale's fault though.

can't say it's his fault, but who is willing to pay these astronomical fees, i wonder. Even more so because like you said, he hasn't got the stats to justify that sum - if any stat could.

Coming from a team that spent 56m on kaka only to release him for free a couple years later.. to the same team they got him from! Wonder what kind of monkey is running the finances over there :)

Don't the Spanish goverment fund Madrid?

There was a dodgy sell off of their old training ground which raised a ludicrous amount of money, but they have debts of around 590,000,000 Euros!

However, they still currently comply with Financial Fair Play, as they have massive revenue and an enormous domestic TV deal which is behind making La Liga the two horse race that it is.

The debts at Barcelona and Madrid are similar in type to Man Utd's - they're huge clubs and their huge debts are serviceable.

2. a couple of

– more than one but indefinitely small in number

A couple is two. As in, "are that couple we met at the weeding coming to the party?"

If you think a couple can in any world mean four, then, well, I best not say as I'll get banned again. :D

Another newbie causing trouble. Shock horror.

And I don't get what you see as "weird" about their transfer policy? They sign expceptionally good footballers with the aim of forming a great team on the field and marketing them in the right way to make alot of money off it.

Generally, it works.

I want to know what sort of people go to weeding partys. Takes the love for gardening to a whole new level.

Oh bore off. :D

She is going in the bath soon so. She can deal with it until then I'm sure.

I'm surprised you, (and so many others for that matter), even watch it. It's just car crash tv with Sky reporting literally nothing at all and just repeating themselves again, and again.

So do I actually, bit of a guilty pleasure. And yeah, you are right - there's sod all else on. :(

We really, really like watching Hells Kitchen. A bit gutted that this week is the final episode of this season :(. There looks to be a lot of 9/11 programmes on this week which is hardly a surprise. I usually quite enjoy watching them too.

Forgot to say. I had my stomach glued shut today. Sounds odd, but was shifting a shed today and caught myself on some broken glass which opened up a 2 inch wide cut in my stomach. Went pretty deep. What hurts most though is the way the nurse put the bloody dressing on, oooooo :thdn:.

Another newbie causing trouble. Shock horror.

And I don't get what you see as "weird" about their transfer policy? They sign expceptionally good footballers with the aim of forming a great team on the field and marketing them in the right way to make alot of money off it.

Generally, it works.

Oh bore off. :D

Oh dear, I didn't want to get into semantics but you just can't seem to let it go.

I'm sorry. What exactly are you implying I'd be new to? And what exactly am I causing? You chose to correct/patronize someone without paying any mind to the point I was making. Me replying to you is causing trouble? Sorry to crash your precious party-thread then.

and for the record: you're wrong. A couple can, but does not exclusively mean, two. It can in fact be synonymous to 'a few'. If you can't tell the difference between 'that couple' or 'a couple of years' .. well .. I'll do the same as you did earlier & try not to get an infraction.

Since I'm sure my simple telling you so will not suffise, here's oxford's definition for you. You're welcome.

noun

informal an indefinite small number:

[as pronoun]:

he hoped she’d be better in a couple of days

we got some eggs—would you like a couple?

You don't get what's weird in the above example? You refer to them aiming to make a profit. Could you enlighten me how they made a profit out of paying Milan 56m for kaka, and now letting him join Milan again for free? how many games has he even played in those 4 years? Not a great deal imho. Certainly not 56m's worth. Certainly not at same level he had at Milan.

& just how will they make a profit on Bale? I'm genuinely curious to see how you think they'll make a profit on him. It'd take some serious 'marketing' to actually start making money off him.

There seems to have been some bizarre goings on at Man Untd during the deadline day activity involving Herrera (sp?). Apparently, according to the online Guardian, they claim that the representatives over in Spain were impostors and had nothing to do with them. Then paying 4 mill more for Fellaini than they could have got him for a month ago. Whereas they refused to go 6 mill Euros higher for Herrera ( I heard they bid 30 mill Euros and the buyout was 36mill Euros). I am unsure of the conversation rate of Euros to Pounds but isn’t this a similar amount? From what I read isn't Herrera a better player than Fellaini? Or at least more the type of player Man Untd needed in midfield?

Everton seem to have done some pretty good business in the market though. Lukaku should provide the goals threat they seem to be lacking to push on and McCarthy will be a good addition.

Sheffield United Football Club announces today (Tuesday) that HRH Prince Abdullah bin Mosaad bin Abdulaziz Al Saud has become joint owner of the Club.

Read more at http://www.sufc.co.uk/news/article/20130903-announcement-1032027.aspx#YmFlWv1MekLcOkKE.99

Here comes the money, money, money, money, money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Everton seem to have done some pretty good business in the market though. Lukaku should provide the goals threat they seem to be lacking to push on and McCarthy will be a good addition.

I was surprised Chelsea loaned him out again actually. Hadn't he been promissed a role in their first team plans this year?

Think it's for the best though as I don't think he's ready for that big a club yet

There seems to have been some bizarre goings on at Man Untd during the deadline day activity involving Herrera (sp?). Apparently, according to the online Guardian, they claim that the representatives over in Spain were impostors and had nothing to do with them. Then paying 4 mill more for Fellaini than they could have got him for a month ago. Whereas they refused to go 6 mill Euros higher for Herrera ( I heard they bid 30 mill Euros and the buyout was 36mill Euros). I am unsure of the conversation rate of Euros to Pounds but isn’t this a similar amount? From what I read isn't Herrera a better player than Fellaini? Or at least more the type of player Man Untd needed in midfield?

they probably need Fellaini more

Oh dear, I didn't want to get into semantics but you just can't seem to let it go.

I'm sorry. What exactly are you implying I'd be new to? And what exactly am I causing? You chose to correct/patronize someone without paying any mind to the point I was making. Me replying to you is causing trouble? Sorry to crash your precious party-thread then.

and for the record: you're wrong. A couple can, but does not exclusively mean, two. It can in fact be synonymous to 'a few'. If you can't tell the difference between 'that couple' or 'a couple of years' .. well .. I'll do the same as you did earlier & try not to get an infraction.

Since I'm sure my simple telling you so will not suffise, here's oxford's definition for you. You're welcome.i

noun

informal an indefinite small number:

[as pronoun]:

he hoped she’d be better in a couple of days

we got some eggs—would you like a couple?

You don't get what's weird in the above example? You refer to them aiming to make a profit. Could you enlighten me how they made a profit out of paying Milan 56m for kaka, and now letting him join Milan again for free? how many games has he even played in those 4 years? Not a great deal imho. Certainly not 56m's worth. Certainly not at same level he had at Milan.

& just how will they make a profit on Bale? I'm genuinely curious to see how you think they'll make a profit on him. It'd take some serious 'marketing' to actually start making money off him.

Blah, blah, blah. Too long/didn't read. :)

they probably need Fellaini more

I was under the impression that they needed a more attacking midfielder. Isn't Fellaini a more defensive minded midfielder?

All this is just going of what i have read in the papers though. So i could be completely wrong.