Off Topic Thread: Hey lurkers, post ffs!!

Purefun

Don't think I could ever move north. I'd miss the warm weather too much.

Yeah but on the plus side no smog and not really floods like you Southerners get. I remember all the trouble you had recently due to floods :D

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRL88

• tomtuck01

• Cleon

• Nottingham Forest

Top Posters In This Topic

Luckily for me I live on the seafront (no smog) and not in a flood risk area. But this year has been a bloody nightmare getting anywhere due to all the bloody flooded roads and cancelled trains due to landslides and floods!!Although having said that I usually stay in Yorkshire when up ever other week or so and I've been caught in floods and snow there too, but the air is too pure for me :D

Luckily for me I live on the seafront (no smog) and not in a flood risk area. But this year has been a bloody nightmare getting anywhere due to all the bloody flooded roads and cancelled trains due to landslides and floods!!Although having said that I usually stay in Yorkshire when up ever other week or so and I've been caught in floods and snow there too, but the air is too pure for me :D

Floods in Yorkshire? Never :D

Floods were the least of my concerns to be honest. SHEEP! Bloody sheep IN THE ROADS! Carnage haha :D

Think you got your Geography wrong, we don't have sheep here unless you went on the moors which then I'd have to question just exactly what you was doing.....:D

What's Bearpark like in Durham SRL? Seen a few nice houses I might be interested in.

There are worse places to live. The surrounding villages aren't nice at all (Ushaw Moor, Brandon, Esh Winning), but you are within five minutes of Durham and the Arnison Centre for shopping. I would only live on the outskirts of Bearpark, preferably closer to Durham where the nicer houses are, but there is a very nice estate on Hilltop Road (with side streets from that called Fulforth, Edmund, Blackcliffe, Aden and Blackburn). Very quiet round there.

Sometimes I wish I lived up North.

The only problem I have with being up here is like it's the land of poverty :(.

Why's that? I'd have though that with people like Cleon strutting about in flat caps, that it all seems very salubrious.

To be fair Newcastle/Gateshead/Durham is pretty ******, too far North really so is more aless Scotland tbh

To be fair Newcastle/Gateshead/Durham is pretty ******, too far North really so is more aless Scotland tbh

I've never been anywhere near the North-East at all.

I fairly often go up to Scotland to visit my mum, but that involves driving up the other side of the country.

It's a funny and long route. Completely crap all the way to The Lakes, then dead nice for a bit, then boring as Hell for ages, but brilliant again pretty much as soon as you get out of Glasgow.

Can't be bothered driving it this year, so we're going on the overnight sleeper train :cool:

Why's that? I'd have though that with people like Cleon strutting about in flat caps, that it all seems very salubrious.

There is a distinct lack of jobs completely. I know people say it is like that everywhere, but up here is a joke. In teaching, look up here and you will see 2 or 3 jobs. Look from Leeds south you have around 500.

I've never been anywhere near the North-East at all.

I fairly often go up to Scotland to visit my mum, but that involves driving up the other side of the country.

It's a funny and long route. Completely crap all the way to The Lakes, then dead nice for a bit, then boring as Hell for ages, but brilliant again pretty much as soon as you get out of Glasgow.

Can't be bothered driving it this year, so we're going on the overnight sleeper train :cool:

Driving north of Glasgow is beautiful :thup:

Certainly is. Ping along the A82 for a couple of hours, turn left at Fort William and then I'm where I need to be.

That last 3 hours makes up for the previous 7.

Never actually drove that far north :o Although it was up through the A82 I was thinking of, aye. Basically anywhere in/around/through the Trossachs is stunning. :cool:

No idea how far the Trossachs extend, but when you get into Argyll and Bute, and head into Glen Coe and beyond, it just gets better and better.

Alongside Loch Lomond is nice, but when it all opens out it just gets amazing. Easily my favourite bit of Britain that I've been to. Easily.

No idea how far the Trossachs extend, but when you get into Argyll and Bute, and head into Glen Coe and beyond, it just gets better and better.

Alongside Loch Lomond is nice, but when it all opens out it just gets amazing. Easily my favourite bit of Britain that I've been to. Easily.

The Trossachs are a part of Argyll and Bute, you basically drive up the A82 through Argyll and Bute/the Trossachs/alongside Loch Lomond, then as you continue up the A82 you leave Argyll and Bute but are still in the Trossachs, then you leave the Trossachs and go back into Argyll and Bute. It's a bit hard to describe to here's an image to explain it:

Vcyl9fO.png

The red dotted line is Argyll and Bute, the small green line I've drawn (alongside the yellow line) represents the A82 and the massive green 'blob' is the Trossachs. So you're in then out then in again :D But yeah, I know where you mean. The whole of Scotland above Glasgow is a pretty beautiful place tbh, not a lot of people realise it. Probably because they immediately think of the lowlands. The lowlands are a great place socially but the environment and scenery is almost non-existent. I live in Airdrie (just to the right of Glasgow in the above image) and it's a horrorshow town, absolutely horrid, but Scotland is generally a very beautiful country. Just a shame not everyone realises it :D

I used to Live and work in Oban, actually met and married my Aussie wife there. It's a great little town. I love the train trip ( i don't drive) from Glasgow to Oban as it has some spectacular scenery. Me and my wife still go up that way for a couple of days every time we visit the UK.

Funnily enough despite being Scottish i hate whisky. My wife loves her malts though and always buys a bottle of Oban back to Australia with her. If you every get the chance you should visit the distillery in Oban. My wife informs me it is a fun wee tour.

In fact, I have been that far north, I've been to Oban a couple of times! :D Lovely town, used to go camping up there with my uncle every year for a few years back when I was 8-11 (or thereabouts).

I also hate whisky, turns my stomach. Fast track to being sick, actually. I also hate beer... I'm a terrible barman :D

In fact, I have been that far north, I've been to Oban a couple of times! :D Lovely town, used to go camping up there with my uncle every year for a few years back when I was 8-11 (or thereabouts).

I also hate whisky, turns my stomach. Fast track to being sick, actually. I also hate beer... I'm a terrible barman :D

From the owners' perspective that's the best kind of barman :lol:

I used to work with a woman who also worked at a bar (and she drank like a fish). When she moved on the owners of the bar were quite amazed at how much longer it took to go through product. :eek:

From the owners' perspective that's the best kind of barman :lol:

I used to work with a woman who also worked at a bar (and she drank like a fish). When she moved on the owners of the bar were quite amazed at how much longer it took to go through product. :eek:

Haha, that's brilliant :D

I do drink and when I'm in the right mood I can drink plenty (last Wednesday for example I started at around 6pm and finished at 7am the next morning) but whisky is a definite no :lol:

Congratulations SRL :thup:
Oh no :(. We'll be seeing SRL on that BBC3 show where the bloke tries to arrange the wedding :D.

I talked to my Mam about it before I 'asked' her and she asked me what made me decide to do it. I just said it keeps her quiet for a while. My Mam laughed :D.

Congratulations :thup:
Congrats SRL :)

Tom for best man? Cleon maid of honour? :brock:

Tar muchos.

You couldn't pay me to be best man for somone I don't know.

Congratulations/Commiserations Steven. (Delete as applicable).

Heartless ******* :(:D.

Please say you did a romantically cheesy proposal :D

Congratulations though, top stuff :thup:

No :D. I couldn't bring myself to do something like that. It was more like 'do you like this ring? Well, if you do stick it on' :p.

Congrats SRL :thup:

Cheers fella

Congrats although tell me that isn't your real reason for getting engaged? :D

The best thing I ever did was get married as she does everything for me :brock:

I do love her, I just find it amusing to wind her up :D.

Tar muchos.

Heartless ******* :(:D.

No :D. I couldn't bring myself to do something like that. It was more like 'do you like this ring? Well, if you do stick it on' :p.

Cheers fella

I do love her, I just find it amusing to wind her up :D.

I think that's the first time you've actually said something nice about her in here :D

Will it be a long engagement?

I think that's the first time you've actually said something nice about her in here :D

Will it be a long engagement?

She seems to think not, I seem to think so. Lets see who wins the duel :brock:(probably her).

That made me laugh :D. Been playing cricket for most of the day. Managed to get my best ever score, took 3 wickets, a great catch at slip and then I have been told that the powers that be within the club are considering making me captain for the Sunday side. I've only been at the club for 3 months or so.

• 3 weeks later...