Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Delial said:

Hi everybody,

My defenders are always more tired than my offensive players. To me, that doesn't make any sense because I play a high press system and it should get my forwards exhausted but... they're not, at all. But my defenders are, so I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong.

Thnaks !

Space is behind you in a high press, as compared to infront of you.

It could also be the profiles of players, rotation of players (players in the defensive unit start more games/subbed less often) or the lack of a quality pre-season. 

Edited by Cloud9

• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does a player's preferred foot impact his ability to defend like it would IRL?

IE. a right footed defender being more comfortable of stepping in to disrupt the oppositon when showing them wide.

6 hours ago, Cloud9 said:

IE. a right footed defender being more comfortable of stepping in to disrupt the oppositon when showing them wide.

From my impression on older versions of the game it does impact how players move backwards in the ME, ie two right footed cbs in a back 4 will leave a slightly larger gap between the lcb and the lb (assuming that the lb is left footed) 

Can you set a specific set of opponent instruction to each of the three tactic slots. I think this option should be specific for each tactic, I absolutely hate setting my opponent's instruction every time I switch tactic

Anchor and Defensive midfielder on defend duty. What's the major difference between the two?

At least on eye, they just seem to behave so much similar one to another. 
Or could it be because of the same player used in the role?

3 hours ago, Vođi said:

Anchor and Defensive midfielder on defend duty. What's the major difference between the two?

At least on eye, they just seem to behave so much similar one to another. 
Or could it be because of the same player used in the role?

Without having experience with the role, he shouldn't close down at the flanks if at anchor role and instead join the defense as an extra cb. So it's at our own third where you'll see the difference.

On 25/05/2024 at 09:05, Cloud9 said:

A Bielsa approach? 

You can try, but it will pull your tactical formation all out of shape. The marking OI is the most disruptive, more so than press more often, of OI's. You will need a very specific kind of player on the opposition players. I usually try not to use more than just a couple of the press more often and tight mark OI instructions to not overly disrupt my shape. 

Opposition OIs on their front players can be especially punishing for you. I would recommend a high line approach and leaving the OI instructions off their front players for the most part.

Inspired by Gasperini. Agree, the downside is you lose your OOP shape. Thanks!

Does picking players with high teamwork make tactics easier? I am guessing the answer is yes. Presumably, players with high teamwork are more likely to follow your instructions (assuming the instructions make sense) so you get a greater sense of control over what is happening? Anyone experienced this?   

20 hours ago, whatsupdoc said:

Question: With "shoot less often" will it impact mainly long shots or all shots (i.e. from inside the box as well)?

image.png?ex=665e7317&is=665d2197&hm=6c3aedd4e7cc485ec24184ab9746d176fc8aa2c5a3dc0bd85274913e226da662&

Only long shots

Hi guys

I want to create 3-2 build up shape with HB drop as a 3rd center back, CWB holding width and 2 CM being double pivot.

So my questions is, Are there any CM role that drop down from CM to DM when in possesion? If not, what role or PI that i should use to make my CM similar to what I want.

Thank you guys in advance.

2 hours ago, Gee_Simpson said:

Interesting, I didn't know that.

I believe it applies to both, the PI impacts a players decision making on the ball.

From the SI FM24 Manual:

Shooting

Shoot More Often encourages players to attempt a greater number of shots when posed with potential chances, rather than looking for a pass.

Shoot Less Often asks players to retain possession and remain patient in search of a more opportune moment at which to finally shoot.

I would also reference this thread.

8 hours ago, prodjgalaxyp said:

Hi guys

I want to create 3-2 build up shape with HB drop as a 3rd center back, CWB holding width and 2 CM being double pivot.

So my questions is, Are there any CM role that drop down from CM to DM when in possesion? If not, what role or PI that i should use to make my CM similar to what I want.

Thank you guys in advance.

cm(d) dlp in cm position CAR aswell i think there is more but that is what i remember off the top of my head 

2 hours ago, Cloud9 said:

I believe it applies to both, the PI impacts a players decision making on the ball.

From the SI FM24 Manual:

Shooting

Shoot More Often encourages players to attempt a greater number of shots when posed with potential chances, rather than looking for a pass.

Shoot Less Often asks players to retain possession and remain patient in search of a more opportune moment at which to finally shoot.

I would also reference this thread.

Hi guys,

What do you say to your "Substitute IN" players with Normal/Composed Body Language? I always get something like "tends to struggle to meet the pace of the game" message for them. :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance.

What are the most important things to analyse in the Data Hub when it comes to developing a tactic/playstyle/philosophy? Beyond wins-losses, obviously.

Hi everyone, I’m currently using a 4231 > 325 with Libero system. The 2 dm roles are DLPs (Bruno G) & Tonali (SVs). The DLP are supposed to form a double pivot with the L when attacking and SV when defending. But I found that the DLP often drifts to the center or even other side. He stays too close to the Libero when attacking  and leaving my left winger with no option to pass back. He also stays too central when defending and often leaves the half space open either allowing cut back  open shots or opponents directly dash in between my lb and cb. 

Is there any way to fix this problem? Change roles or add PI?

10 hours ago, BrunosTaxi said:

Hi everyone, I’m currently using a 4231 > 325 with Libero system. The 2 dm roles are DLPs (Bruno G) & Tonali (SVs). The DLP are supposed to form a double pivot with the L when attacking and SV when defending. But I found that the DLP often drifts to the center or even other side. He stays too close to the Libero when attacking  and leaving my left winger with no option to pass back. He also stays too central when defending and often leaves the half space open either allowing cut back  open shots or opponents directly dash in between my lb and cb. 

Is there any way to fix this problem? Change roles or add PI?

Difficult to say w/out seeing the tactic, I would recommend posting it in a separate thread.

My guess it's in part due to him being right footed playing on the left + a narrow formation.

If you are unhappy with the double pivot's interaction with the Libero you could always adopt a 4-3-3.

Hi all, I have a question:

how would you describe (in attributes) a player like Paolo Maldini and which role would you think of him?

I guess a very brave and aggressive FB(D)

Edited by HanziZoloman

Il 11/06/2024 in 21:07 , HanziZoloman ha scritto:

Hi all, I have a question:

how would you describe (in attributes) a player like Paolo Maldini and which role would you think of him?

I guess a very brave and aggressive FB(D)

I agree on the FB-D. As for attributes indeed, I think we would be looking at 18+ish attributes for concentration, positioning and anticipation. The same goes for work rate and composure, surely also incredibly high physicals. 
A beast of a player, just like he was IRL.

I'm also thinking about individual traits. Maybe stuff like Tries to play out of trouble, bring ball out of defense and maybe even Plays short passes to replicate his tidy play. I'm thinking also about staying back at all times, but FB-D would have that covered already.

Edited by Vođi

On 27/05/2024 at 22:55, FalkoNguyen said:

Can you set a specific set of opponent instruction to each of the three tactic slots. I think this option should be specific for each tactic, I absolutely hate setting my opponent's instruction every time I switch tactic

I don't think you can, but maybe changing Mark Specific Position under PIs would help.

Data on defensive heights and opportunities conceded season 2023-2024 in Europe.

The average height of defensive actions is shown on the ordinate axis with a value in meters and the abscissa axis conceded chances per 90 minutes with a value in xga.
There's no stupid question, just to make things clearer, do the actions start from the forward line or the center-back line ?

Thank you.

Edited by BatigoalFM

On 25/05/2024 at 16:29, Cloud9 said:

Yes, he would tend to give away more free-kick and penalties as he goes to tackle from the wrong side and also he would be slow to take up space on his wrong side. Thats what I find anyway.

On 15/06/2024 at 14:08, BatigoalFM said:

Data on defensive heights and opportunities conceded season 2023-2024 in Europe.

The average height of defensive actions is shown on the ordinate axis with a value in meters and the abscissa axis conceded chances per 90 minutes with a value in xga.
There's no stupid question, just to make things clearer, do the actions start from the forward line or the center-back line ?

Thank you.

This kind of data is very subjective, it's what we would call dirty data because not all things are equal in each unit calculated. For example if you have a few teams running away with the league, a few teams with high injuries and a few team with very poor financials all this has an massive effect on this data but it's not accounted for. In the real world all those even would be removed and only like for like games for count. I totally ignore ANY data in FM.

Le 16/06/2024 à 17:59, Delicate Dave a dit :

This kind of data is very subjective, it's what we would call dirty data because not all things are equal in each unit calculated. For example if you have a few teams running away with the league, a few teams with high injuries and a few team with very poor financials all this has an massive effect on this data but it's not accounted for. In the real world all those even would be removed and only like for like games for count. I totally ignore ANY data in FM.

Thank you for your detailed answer.

Edited by BatigoalFM

Hi all

I have question in training: I find it hard to improve technical attributes like First Touch and Passing or mental attributes like Anticipation, Concentration, Composure or Team Work. I have great training facilities and 4-5 Star coaches (I have 25 coaches for senior team). 

Same goes for youth development, I focus on the above attributes but the players seem not to develop much if all. Here my coaches are 3-5 star, the possession and attacking coaches are 4-5 star in this case. 

I track the development of my players in excel sheets: It shows that most players develop 1-2 points in attributes over a season.

Any suggestions how to improve the above mentioned attributes?

Thanks

6 hours ago, HanziZoloman said:

Hi all

I have question in training: I find it hard to improve technical attributes like First Touch and Passing or mental attributes like Anticipation, Concentration, Composure or Team Work. I have great training facilities and 4-5 Star coaches (I have 25 coaches for senior team). 

Same goes for youth development, I focus on the above attributes but the players seem not to develop much if all. Here my coaches are 3-5 star, the possession and attacking coaches are 4-5 star in this case. 

I track the development of my players in excel sheets: It shows that most players develop 1-2 points in attributes over a season.

Any suggestions how to improve the above mentioned attributes?

Thanks

Technicals you need to get after when they're young and the mentals have more space to improve over the course of their 20s (especially with the development changes this year).

I would look at your training schedules and pick sessions that give the specific attributes you'e after. 

16 minutes ago, HanziZoloman said:

Thanks for the advice.
Can you tell more about these changes?

The development curve has been pushed back past the age of 23, particularly with good mix of Ambition, Determination, and Professionalism. This wasn't a hard cap before, but it was more difficult to do. 

You can comfortably develop a good personality player w/sufficient PA into his late 20s. Mentals are the easiest to develop in this period. 

On 22/06/2024 at 08:50, HanziZoloman said:

Thanks for the advice.
Can you tell more about these changes?

Here's a player I signed specifically to test things out myself a bit:

• Signed at age 24 w/PA to grow + good mentals. Here is his progress from 24 to 27. He had only made a handful of appearances for Villa over the first two seasons of the save, which had severely limited his development before that. You're not going to be able to make up for these early windows of development later on in their careers...but you count on high PA players to fill out their mentals in the more advanced window regardless.
  • Prioritizing technicals early on is therefore highly recommended for a player you want to develop properly.
  • The personality element is quite important for this growth, I've seen players with "Balanced" stagnant in this window more frequently (although it's difficult to say if they've just reached their ceiling and that's why they're not developing). 

Screenshot2024-06-23at3_11_48PM.thumb.png.3c3ed6ce6a1182f14ed6b4647cf864f7.png

Edited by Cloud9

vor 7 Stunden schrieb Cloud9:

Here's a player I signed specifically to test things out myself a bit:

• Signed at age 24 w/PA to grow + good mentals. Here is his progress from 24 to 27. He had only made a handful of appearances for Villa over the first two seasons of the save, which had severely limited his development before that. You're not going to be able to make up for these early windows of development later on in their careers...but you count on high PA players to fill out their mentals in the more advanced window regardless.
  • Prioritizing technicals early on is therefore highly recommended for a player you want to develop properly.
  • The personality element is quite important for this growth, I've seen players with "Balanced" stagnant in this window more frequently (although it's difficult to say if they've just reached their ceiling and that's why they're not developing). 

Screenshot2024-06-23at3_11_48PM.thumb.png.3c3ed6ce6a1182f14ed6b4647cf864f7.png

Thank you @Cloud9 

that in turn means for my youth only save, that I will prioritise technicals early on, which I had not before (it’s been football intelligence). Well I track all the progress in excel and should see some gains if made properly 

Heres a couple of questions ive been wondering about:

1. Ive played so many saves, but its always the same: My coaches suggest additional training for some players, and I agree but after a couple of weeks they suggest we take them off the added training because theres no progression. Why is it always like that? And if I dont take them off, the players themselves tend to complain after a while.

2. Some of my players in my save with Arsenal 2026 are declining quickly. And we are not talking about an agening player. Ive got Roony Bardaghji and he just gets worse every season. He started off brilliant in his first season 25 games, 5 goals, 11 assist and 7.36 rating. Second season 26 games, 4 goals, 8 assist and 7.06 rating. So far this season 5 games, 1 goal, 1 assist 6.92

Ive changed tactics from time to time. I started using him as a right Winger, but changed to using him as an IF.

Weirdly, smae thing with Michael Olise. 10 games this season so far, 0 goals and 2 assist and 6.73 rating. This is extremely low.

The tactics ive been using:

1718951204311.png

[24.4] Paradigm-changing 4-3-3 inside forward NO PK 44 points

vor 13 Stunden schrieb Mutumba:

2. Some of my players in my save with Arsenal 2026 are declining quickly. And we are not talking about an agening player. Ive got Roony Bardaghji and he just gets worse every season. He started off brilliant in his first season 25 games, 5 goals, 11 assist and 7.36 rating. Second season 26 games, 4 goals, 8 assist and 7.06 rating. So far this season 5 games, 1 goal, 1 assist 6.92

Hey @Mutumba I can see your concerns and I experienced them as well. 

First off: Young players tend to be inconsistent, usually, with few exceptions. Of course it can be due to tactical limitations, your tactic looks a bit one-dimensional and awkward (but I am no tactical master for sure). I am not sure, if it fits the plans you have.

Regarding training complains: They complain plenty and I don't take it too seriously. You can opt (from staff) who gives the training feedback and advice, I always chose one with good player knowledge and tactical knowledge. You can chose for yourself which field (Te/ Ment/ Phy) to address with training and individual training. Some players are more professional than other and won't complain much. Each player is represented by an individual personality which gives different challenges to the manager. 

With a PL side you should have a good backroom staff maybe it's worth taking their opinion into account.

Edited by HanziZoloman

Has another ever turned an inconsistent player constant (red to green) in a save and how long did it take to do it?

I have always discarded inconsistent players from my scouting pool but am curious what could be expected as improvement on the attribute over the course of a career. 

vor 6 Stunden schrieb Cloud9:

Has another ever turned an inconsistent player constant (red to green) in a save and how long did it take to do it?

I have always discarded inconsistent players from my scouting pool but am curious what could be expected as improvement on the attribute over the course of a career. 

I followed that quite a long time in my YAC save with another marker in the name, I gave a symbol for the grade of inconsistency or consistency.

I did praise and punish players for match ratings over years. 
I also checked and corrected the grade of consistency/ inconsistency at the end of each season. 

I don‘t know if the punishing and rewarding strategy did work. But some players really did change in consistency over a year. Some made huge steps forward or backwards some only took small steps and some didn’t change at all over some years time. I did the same with „big matches“ and it changed as well.

On 27/06/2024 at 04:50, HanziZoloman said:

I followed that quite a long time in my YAC save with another marker in the name, I gave a symbol for the grade of inconsistency or consistency.

I did praise and punish players for match ratings over years. 
I also checked and corrected the grade of consistency/ inconsistency at the end of each season. 

I don‘t know if the punishing and rewarding strategy did work. But some players really did change in consistency over a year. Some made huge steps forward or backwards some only took small steps and some didn’t change at all over some years time. I did the same with „big matches“ and it changed as well.

Interesting, thanks @HanziZoloman :thup:

I have another question here: 

when would you use an IF and when would you go with an IW. I have a clue of course but I am not sure. This question seems always on my mind. 
IF: is more of a goal thread. Attacks the box and tries to finish (A) or play an assist (S). Needs dribbling, Acceleration, finishing/ passing and off the ball.

IW: cuts inside in front of the box, to play a cross or pass into a goal attacking player. Needs Dribbling, Passing, Acceleration and a bit of vision could be helpful.

If I play with an attacking spearhead like AF/ P the IW is handy to create chances. If I play with a more creative striker like F9/ DLF the IF adds a direct goal thread. Right? Anything I’ve missed?

2 hours ago, HanziZoloman said:

I have another question here: 

when would you use an IF and when would you go with an IW. I have a clue of course but I am not sure. This question seems always on my mind. 
IF: is more of a goal thread. Attacks the box and tries to finish (A) or play an assist (S). Needs dribbling, Acceleration, finishing/ passing and off the ball.

IW: cuts inside in front of the box, to play a cross or pass into a goal attacking player. Needs Dribbling, Passing, Acceleration and a bit of vision could be helpful.

If I play with an attacking spearhead like AF/ P the IW is handy to create chances. If I play with a more creative striker like F9/ DLF the IF adds a direct goal thread. Right? Anything I’ve missed?

I think you have answered your own question just like I would.

How to create defensive overloads where your team press in packs, zonal and ball oriented? Would tight marking work - although it's contradictory - help? Would an attacking (aggression) or more defensive (compactness) mentality help? Higher tempo? Expressive, disciplined? OI?

(I mostly use a 4-2-2-2 or a 5-2-2-1 (which is more of a 3-6-1) formation with very direct passing and high press.

I am on a horrendous run of form, twenty matches without a win. Two games to go before finishing this awful year. I am two points above the line. Any suggestions how to stay in the league? 
Morale is in the bottom, I’ve already changed into a 3ATB but to no success we just concede loads. If we have a good match we lose by a stupid penalty. I really need help. 
what would you do in my situation? 
my best player is a BWM and some AMC but I don’t have fast players.

Hi everyone !

TL;DR

How to make a wide player your best goalscorer (or, at least, best goal threat) ?

Révélation

In modern football, we have various example of players who were real goal machines (Salah, Robbery, Messi, Mbappé, C. Ronaldo, Vinicius Jr, Chiesa).

Even if they all play differently, we can say that the n°9 is not the only goalscorer now.

However, I always struggle to replicate this in FM, which can be quite frustrating when your best players are the wide ones and your St(c) is mid compared to them.

1 hour ago, CKBrahMa said:

Hi everyone !

TL;DR

How to make a wide player your best goalscorer (or, at least, best goal threat) ?

Hide contents

In modern football, we have various example of players who were real goal machines (Salah, Robbery, Messi, Mbappé, C. Ronaldo, Vinicius Jr, Chiesa).

Even if they all play differently, we can say that the n°9 is not the only goalscorer now.

However, I always struggle to replicate this in FM, which can be quite frustrating when your best players are the wide ones and your St(c) is mid compared to them.

If this is the aim, I would build the rest of the team to support this. This would mean that the main goalscorer down the flank would probably be an inside forward (or wide targetman) on attack duty.

If the formation only uses one striker, I would use more of a creator role like deep lying forward or false nine. 

In midfield I would probably have an advanced playmaker on the inside forward's side to feed him with through balls while on the other flank I would probably be instructing the wide players to mainly look to cross to the far post in an attempt to find the inside forward. 

I'm not currently using AMLR positions with Torino but with Betis I had Rodri as my main goalscorer and goalscoring threat. 

Hi guys,

Do you know if training sessions have an influence on how my team will play after a few sessions?
Basically, if I plan several "Play from the back" sessions, will my team will more play from the back, without any change on TI's of course.

Or will it just train attributes worked in this session?

2 hours ago, Delial said:

Hi guys,

Do you know if training sessions have an influence on how my team will play after a few sessions?
Basically, if I plan several "Play from the back" sessions, will my team will more play from the back, without any change on TI's of course.

Or will it just train attributes worked in this session?

It will train attributes relevant for that session. Which will in effect improve your players ability to play out of the back. Especially if their ball control relevant attributes are increased.

This has probably been explained somewhere already, but I can't find an explanation of what exactly the difference between an SV(su) and a DM(su) with PI get further forward is. Does the SV push further or earlier? Or is the difference something hard coded in terms of positional play? Or is it the same thing in terms of movement?

3 hours ago, chappi said:

This has probably been explained somewhere already, but I can't find an explanation of what exactly the difference between an SV(su) and a DM(su) with PI get further forward is. Does the SV push further or earlier? Or is the difference something hard coded in terms of positional play? Or is it the same thing in terms of movement?

There is hardcoding under the hood so roles will behave differently even with the same PIs selected.

But yes...the SV also triggers a rotation via positional play (he moves from the DM strata out of possession to the AMC strata in possession). This is inherently different from a role who operates in the DM strata and has the tendency to get forward more. 

Edited by Cloud9

Hi,

I have a question about the "In Transition" > "When possession has been lost" Team Instruction. I understand the two options, Counter-Press and Regroup, but what happens if I don't select either. What will my players do when we lose possession?

Thanks