Euro 2012 final 23-men squads, discuss them as they get revealed

noikeee

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good to see Woy not going down the route of ignoring players who have had great seasons at clubs like Norwich and Swansea and selecting crap ones just because they play for Liverpool :rolleyes:

Agreed on the selfishness issue and I think that's something that goes away with age, plenty of youngsters are too selfish then get better.

Not sure on the starting striker, I think it's a coin flip between Postiga and Nelson, whilst Postiga has a bad rep in Portugal and hasn't been a consistent goalscorer for ages, he's actually been rather good for the national team and links well with the wingers and midfield in a possession game. Think I'd back Nelson for a more counter-attacking play tho. Almeida is probably the best finisher of the 3 at the moment but is far too static.

Postiga is definitely going to start against Germany. It's the safe bet.

And despite my last post, he's the choice for the opening game. Postiga has been Bento´s first option for the place, links well with the rest of the attacking teammates and has the experience on his side.

Hugo Almeida can perhaps start against Denmark, while Nélson will probably be a used sub for the last 15/20m of the games

An underwhelming squad, but about as expected I suppose. Would have brought Carrick though, he's had an excellent season. Oxlaide is interesting, but given him, he should have kept Walcott at home. Same with Carroll and Downing. Both are useless. Though I suppose Carroll may have its use if he plans to start banging them up late-game.

I look forward to the horse-gif :D

Downing shouldn't be anywhere near the squad. I have no idea what he brings to the team. Adam Johnson would have been a better choice. At least he adds a goal scoring threat to the team. Not sure how Carrick has been left out, has looked quite impressive most times I have seen him this year. Would have chosen Richards ahead of Johnson too.

• Administrators
Downing shouldn't be anywhere near the squad. I have no idea what he brings to the team. Adam Johnson would have been a better choice. At least he adds a goal scoring threat to the team. Not sure how Carrick has been left out, has looked quite impressive most times I have seen him this year. Would have chosen Richards ahead of Johnson too.

Think Carrick has suffered from us just having too many CM's really, what with Lampard, Gerrard and Parker. Was a case for picking him over Barry but think international experience and 'sticking with players who helped us qualify' got captain one paced (slow for thos wondering) in. Likewise someone like say Milner or Jones would have been picked a bit more for their versatility.

Don't think Downing is as bad as people seem to be making out (twitter meltdown etc) when in reality he's been picked as a squad player and again Hodgson has shown loyalty in 'sticking with players who helped us qualify'. Yeah he's had a poor season stat-wise but I think he still has a cultured left-foot and is probably a bit more reliable than Adam Johnson in terms of going both ways. Saying that someone made a valid point that he's most likely to be coming off the bench and doesn't offer much as an 'impact' player - certainly in comparison with someone like Johnson.

Russia's provisional squad :

Goalkeepers: Igor Akinfeyev, Vyacheslav Malafeyev, Anton Shunin.

Defenders: Alexander Anyukov, Alexei Berezutsky, Vasily Berezutsky, Sergei Ignashevich, Roman Sharonov, Roman Shishkin, Vladimir Granat,

Midfielders: Igor Denisov, Roman Shirokov, Konstantin Zyryanov, Yuri Zhirkov, Alan Dzagoyev, Igor Semshov, Denis Glushakov, Magomed Ozdoyev, Marat Izmailov, Dmitry Kombarov,

Forwards: Andrei Arshavin, Alexander Kerzhakov, Roman Pavlyuchenko, Artem Dzyuba, Alexander Kokorin, Pavel Pogrebnyak

French provisional squad:

Goalkeepers: Hugo Lloris (Olympique Lyon), Steve Mandanda (Olympique Marseille), Cedric Carrasso (Girondins Bordeaux).

Defenders: Gael Clichy (Manchester City), Patrice Evra (Manchester United), Laurent Koscielny (Arsenal), Philippe Mexes (AC Milan), Adil Rami (Valencia), Mathieu Debuchy (Lille), Anthony Reveillere (Olympique Lyon), Mapou Yanga Mbiwa (Montpellier).

Midfielders: Yohan Cabaye (Newcastle United), Florent Malouda (Chelsea), Samir Nasri (Manchester City), Alou Diarra (Olympique Marseille), Yann Mvila (Stade Rennes), Yoann Gourcuff (Olympique Lyon), Marvin Martin (Sochaux), Blaise Matuidi (Paris St Germain).

Forwards: Hatem Ben Arfa (Newcastle United), Karim Benzema (Real Madrid), Franck Ribery (Bayern Munich), Olivier Giroud (Montpellier), Jeremy Menez (Paris St Germain), Loic Remy (Olympique Marseille), Mathieu Valbuena (Olympique Marseille).

Mind-boggling that Gourcuff made it based on his league form but he's Blanc's Golden Boy. One of Marvin Martin or Cabaye will prolly be dropped as will Matuidi with Diarra & M'Vila locked on for the DM position. Both O'M forwards probably not making it also.

Should hopefully make it through the next round.

I don't know what business Phil Jones and Downing have being in the squad when Richards is fit. If Downing isn't starting then what is his place in the squad for? Johnson atleast offers something dynamic to the bench. Walcott will always be there and rightly so, Oxlade a questionable inclusion. Why no Carrick? I also would have taken Sturridge over Welbeck. Sturridge had a quality 2011- not his fault he plays in such an 'unstable' environment.

I'd have taken both Sturridge and Welbeck, what's the point in taking Defoe or Carroll? Defoe won't be here for the next major tournament, although he does at least know where the net is, unlike that clueless pile of **** that is Andy Carroll.

Downing in the squad is laughable too, without even taking his shocking season into account, on the numerous opportunities he's had he's never once been good enough for England. Phil Jones probably doesn't deserve to go either, especially if it means Richards misses out.

Very disappointed in this squad. Carrick, Richards and Milner should definitely have gone. Sturridge and Johnson are also arguably much better than the player's that went in their places too.

Are England the only team to pick all their players from their own league?

I think so.

Are Ireland the only team to pick no players from their league?

The England squad is a joke. Seemingly picked entirely on reputation, except for Carroll and Downing.

• Administrators

Suspect I already know the answer to this but to the non-English; is there the same level of consternation/second-guessing/undermining with regards the squad selection from the media/public as there ALWAYS is in England?

Suspect I already know the answer to this but to the non-English; is there the same level of consternation/second-guessing/undermining with regards the squad selection from the media/public as there ALWAYS is in England?

That only happens when people don't like the manager.

If someone like Mourinho was on the NT everything he did would be "brilliant".

Actually, yes. Not as much fuss this year in Portugal as our bench options are pretty poor and the choices were very obvious so no-one big was left out, but still there's been friction: regarding Quim out who would've been our 3rd keeper (!); Hugo Viana who wouldn't have started; a 36 year old Rio Ave forward named João Tomás, who is probably Portugal's equivalent of Grant Holt, keeps saying bitter things about why he's not called up; and Betis' Nélson has been saying he "didn't know what else he needed to do to be called up".

In recent years it's been consistently far more bitter, petty and messy.

French provisional squad:

Goalkeepers: Hugo Lloris (Olympique Lyon), Steve Mandanda (Olympique Marseille), Cedric Carrasso (Girondins Bordeaux).

Defenders: Gael Clichy (Manchester City), Patrice Evra (Manchester United), Laurent Koscielny (Arsenal), Philippe Mexes (AC Milan), Adil Rami (Valencia), Mathieu Debuchy (Lille), Anthony Reveillere (Olympique Lyon), Mapou Yanga Mbiwa (Montpellier).

Midfielders: Yohan Cabaye (Newcastle United), Florent Malouda (Chelsea), Samir Nasri (Manchester City), Alou Diarra (Olympique Marseille), Yann Mvila (Stade Rennes), Yoann Gourcuff (Olympique Lyon), Marvin Martin (Sochaux), Blaise Matuidi (Paris St Germain).

Forwards: Hatem Ben Arfa (Newcastle United), Karim Benzema (Real Madrid), Franck Ribery (Bayern Munich), Olivier Giroud (Montpellier), Jeremy Menez (Paris St Germain), Loic Remy (Olympique Marseille), Mathieu Valbuena (Olympique Marseille).

Mind-boggling that Gourcuff made it based on his league form but he's Blanc's Golden Boy. One of Marvin Martin or Cabaye will prolly be dropped as will Matuidi with Diarra & M'Vila locked on for the DM position. Both O'M forwards probably not making it also.

Should hopefully make it through the next round.

That is a very good squad. Lots of talent in every position, and a lot more cohesion since Blanc took over. I think people aren't talking enough about them, probably the next in line after Spain, Germany and the Netherlands (and maybe, maybe us Portugal if nobody's unavailable from the first 11) in the best teams pecking order.

I don't think there is in England honestly, the only people who seem to get worked up about this stuff are the media. For most people they will just watch the games and hope England do well, I doubt they would be bothered either way if someone like Carrick played or Barry. I'd even go so far as suggest most people would rather their teams players dont go so they can get a break and be ready for the new premiership season.

Didn't know that Johnny Heitinga's won 75 caps for the Netherlands. At around 26, that's how old I think he is, that's impressive.

The French squad looks promising too. After the debacle of the 2010 World Cup in South Africa, I'm sure the FFF will be looking to make amends. Looking forward to seeing Yann M'Vila play at one of the biggest stages, too.

That is a very good squad. Lots of talent in every position, and a lot more cohesion since Blanc took over. I think people aren't talking enough about them, probably the next in line after Spain, Germany and the Netherlands (and maybe, maybe us Portugal if nobody's unavailable from the first 11) in the best teams pecking order.

valencia's Jérémy Mathieu should be there. he deserves the place much more than say malouda.

It seems David Villa will miss the tournament...

not noticed any sort of quotes from him but I admire his honesty considering he probably wants to be at the tournament. Plenty of others would have went to the tournament and denied somebody else who might be fitter their chance

Torres probably got a place in the squad now alongside Llorente, Soldado and maybe Negredo or Adrian? Don't really know how many forwards Del Bosque wants to take though, either 4 or 5. They are going to miss a guy who has scored 51 goals in 82 caps though, be interesting to see who can fill his boots

not noticed any sort of quotes from him but I admire his honesty considering he probably wants to be at the tournament. Plenty of others would have went to the tournament and denied somebody else who might be fitter their chance

Torres probably got a place in the squad now alongside Llorente, Soldado and maybe Negredo or Adrian? Don't really know how many forwards Del Bosque wants to take though, either 4 or 5. They are going to miss a guy who has scored 51 goals in 82 caps though, be interesting to see who can fill his boots

There are some quotes in Spanish press:

http://www.as.com/futbol/articulo/villa-he-intentado-podre-estar/20120522dasdasftb_58/Tes

Archived