England vs Italy - Sunday 19:45

CaptainPlanet

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And thats the problem with England, negative play. Playing for a draw

We set up all wrong from the very start. Should have played 3 in central midfield so that we weren't outnumbered by the Italians, we should have had Parker man-marking Pirlo all game. Gerro and Henderson and pick up the loose balls and pick out a pass to Rooney or out wide.

I said before the game that if we dont stop Pirlo playing then we would really struggle and that proved the case. He ran the show and was allowed to all game.

I think it was Rooneys jobs to mark Pirlo when Italy/Pirlo had possesion on the ball and that is why we only played with two in midfield.

If we had played 3 in midfield then they would have outnumbered us there and we could have closed down Pirlo better. The two wingers could have been more attacking because of the extra CM

You can give Roy a pass for this tournament because of the short notice but if he's got England doing the same thing 18 months from now he'll get torn a new one.

Indeed.

You could argue, he's always played the way he has because he's never had good enough players to work with at any of the teams he's managed.

It would make sense to stick with what he has always done at short notice, but going forward he needs to show that even at his age, he is open to new ideas. If he doesn't, then he would deserve every piece of criticism coming his way.

This is the longest spell that he will have to work with the players for the next two years so I would say this is a fair barometer of how we are going to play especially given the garbage he was spouting at the press conference today about possession.

From what Carragher has been writing and saying and given that he has a direct line into the camp thru Gerrard it sounds the same as it was at liverpool. No wonder the players had none of it, can you imagine being Torres going from playing in THAT spansih team to listening to some clueless berk prattle on about getting everyone behind the ball and playing in straight lines with no flair or movement :D

Yes, the man is a dinosaur. He plays negative, horrible football and should not be anywhere near the england team.

When we are trying to revamp the coaching and development of players what signal does it send out when we employ such a backward thinking neanderthal to our top job.

This is the longest spell that he will have to work with the players for the next two years so I would say this is a fair barometer of how we are going to play especially given the garbage he was spouting at the press conference today about possession.

From what Carragher has been writing and saying and given that he has a direct line into the camp thru Gerrard it sounds the same as it was at liverpool. No wonder the players had none of it, can you imagine being Torres going from playing in THAT spansih team to listening to some clueless berk prattle on about getting everyone behind the ball and playing in straight lines with no flair or movement :D

Again, all assumption based on one player's comments. Because players never hold grudges.

Because players never tell the truth..........

I am much more willing to listen to players who have experience of playing for him than some of the cretinous drivel people post on here. People saying we need to do x,y and z whilst blithely overlooking the fact we have a manager who wont let the players do anything but sit on the edge of their box and hoof it.

Carragher has been excellent on TV and in the press and his comments about how we would play and how the team would set up have been spot on so why doubt him? I have seen what he said would happen, happen!!

Because players never tell the truth..........

I am much more willing to listen to players who have experience of playing for him than some of the cretinous drivel people post on here.

And that's fine. But you're clearly completely bias against Hodgson based one player's view.

And that's fine. But you're clearly completely bias against Hodgson based one player's view.

No I dont like the way Hodgson plays football -its negative, defensive and dull.

I am using Jamie Carragher as supporting evidence rather than basing my views on his.

Instead of sniping at me why dont you find a shred of evidence to dispute my points.

No I dont like the way Hodgson plays football -its negative, defensive and dull.

I am using Jamie Carragher as supporting evidence rather than basing my views on his.

Instead of sniping at me why dont you find a shred of evidence to dispute my points.

I'm not even disagreeing that our playstyle is "negative, defensive and dull". What I'd say is; how do you expect us to play with the players we have available? The only way we could play the football you want for 90 mins would be to drop Gerrard or Parker and play with two new CMs in a 4-5-1. We just don't have that depth because of injuries.

I expect us to play more compact from back to front so that when players get the ball they have options and can pass it to each other and the forwards arent in a different time zone to the rest of the team. Pretending the players we have can only play so negatively when they dont play anything like that for their club teams is just plain stupid.

Pretending the players we have can only play so nagatively when they dont play anything like that for their club teams is just plain stupid.

This. I think part of our problem is that the style and tempo of Premier League football is so much different to international football. The epl is all about strength and speed, whereas international football demands a more patient and methodical approach. Against Italy, it was clear to see that we are just not comfortable with a possesion game.

@grff

Well no it wasnt 'clear to see' anything of the sort. The only thing that it proved was that its hard to even attempt play a possession game when you play a dinosaur 4-4-2 with all but two players 30 yards from our goal, with no movement, attacking intent or purpose.

Archived